16 replies to this topic

#1 helenrob

helenrob

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:caravaning, walking,

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

can anyone recommend a low wattage kettle that is more than 1ltr capacity the travel ones are tiny and not big enough for four people!?? thanks

#2 Guest_jks_*

Guest_jks_*

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Try here

#3 KontikiKid

KontikiKid

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts
  • Interests:Motorhomes, Boeing 757's, HSC's, cross channel ferries

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi

What do you call low wattage? I use a standard 2200 watt (approx 9 - 10 amps) version and it is ok in the UK. Overseas it trips sites.

www.Lakeland.co.uk do a 1.75kw version.

There is also a Russell Hobbs 1200 watt version on Amazon and presumably in the shops but the label says 1200 watts but reviews suggest it is 2000!

The 500 watt versions are pathetic in my opinion, take too long and for four mugs full would need refilling

Russell

Edited by Kontiki, 12 July 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#4 BOAC

BOAC

BOAC

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts
  • Interests:Petal & Baggins
    Jeep & Pastiche
    Air Traffic Control
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7
  • Caravan:2003 Coachman Pastiche 460/2

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:37 PM

I bought one of these - 1.6 ltr.

Click the link below.

http://www.riversway...nfo_888001.html

Does the job well,

BO

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma, 12 July 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#5 Tigger

Tigger

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

We got a 1200W kettle from argos.

#6 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

I like the whistle of our little gas kettle. ;)

It takes away a little of the angst over cumulative wattage used by water heater, fire, tv, toaster and other electrical devices.

#7 flashgordon

flashgordon

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

With a low wattage kettle you can either put it on before you know you're thirsty, or die of thirst waiting for it to boil when you are thirsty, tesco do a 1.8 kw jug kettle for 5.99 - tea for four in just two ticks. :)

#8 FM02MZO

FM02MZO

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

We use a 750 Hayden kettle it just holds sufficient for two good mugs which is all we ask.

#9 grhdylan

grhdylan

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

We use a 750 Hayden kettle it just holds sufficient for two good mugs which is all we ask.

Same here, we only need 2 cups & were on holiday, no rush, even so only takes arround 10 min to boil with 750 w kettle !:rolleyes:

#10 Glen and Les

Glen and Les

Enjoying Early Retirement!

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Walking, Wildlife

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

We bought the Quest Prestige 1.7L low wattage kettle (1000w - comes in white or black) and although it does take a little longer to boil, it's the same size and does the same job as our kettle at home. We got ours from our local caravan accessory shop but I'm sure it's readily available elsewhere.

#11 Ian-Ace

Ian-Ace

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:31 PM

We have a Cookworks low wattage kettle. It holds enough water for roughly 3 mugs, possibly 4 if only three quarters full, but it takes quite a while to boil! About 5 minutes when it's full. Having said that, I think it uses less than 700 watts so doesn't trip the site out. When we have friends with us we use the hob kettle on the electric hotplate which is quicker and has the authentic whistle :D It also holds a lot more water.

Ian

#12 rmg

rmg

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:rugby, and traveling

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:43 PM

we have a 10.99 jug kettle from tesco works well for us

#13 Trevor Marron

Trevor Marron

Four Wheeler

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

We use one of these: http://direct.tesco....ontent=211-1295

2200W but works fine on EHUs. Are you going to be using mains, an inverter or a generator?

#14 meals in fields

meals in fields

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, caravanning, family

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

I have a 1.7 litre, 750 watt jug kettle bought from the local caravan dealers. I think it is made by Home Tec but don't hold me to that.

It does not take that long to boil, and will not trip out the supply in the UK or in Europe. Using the domestic kettles is really not showing much thought for others on the site. The average kitchen kettle is 3KW and will blow the 13amp supply if your fridge, water or room heater are also running. Volts times amps is watts. You need to do the maths in order to be a good neighbour on any site.

#15 Janet

Janet

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

We bought the Quest Prestige 1.7L low wattage kettle (1000w - comes in white or black) and although it does take a little longer to boil, it's the same size and does the same job as our kettle at home. We got ours from our local caravan accessory shop but I'm sure it's readily available elsewhere.

We have this one, doesn't take that much longer to boil and doesn't trip off the electrics on site like domestic ones. So annoying when that happens especially when on CL's and there's only a few of you :unsure:

#16 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,274 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

can anyone recommend a low wattage kettle that is more than 1ltr capacity the travel ones are tiny and not big enough for four people!?? thanks

We originally had a 750 watt kettle, but replaced it this year with a 1kw version for under 20.

It boils a lot quicker.

Bought from the shop at SYC bawtry.

#17 Ian-Ace

Ian-Ace

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

We have this one, doesn't take that much longer to boil and doesn't trip off the electrics on site like domestic ones. So annoying when that happens especially when on CL's and there's only a few of you :unsure:

I know i'm going off the original question but that just reminds me of a fairly recent trip away to a small 5 van site. The power kept tripping until the owner decided to go around the vans to find out which one was causing the problem. One family in particular were very defensive and blamed the site system..... that was until the power was switched back on and the fan heater hidden under a lounger in thir awning started again and the wife appeared to say the kettle was back on ....... I don't think the site owner was very impressed :lol:

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users