Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Photography, Keep Fit,
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Barcelona U1

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hi All

The last two weeks we were at Hunters Moon Site in Dorset, the first week we had numerous false alarms from the PIR in the lounge of our Unicorn Barcelona, as did my next but one caravan along the row with a Unicorn Valencia.
When we were out for the day our alarm would go off, when the Valencia couple were out their alarm went off. I rang Tracker up, and they said that our alarms could by chance have the same coding, thus setting each others vans alarms off. They advised me to remove my batteries from the PIR unit to see if this would stop it. With the alarm set to on with the said batteries remove, after a short while my alarm was activated with us in the van, so obviously not our PIR caused that one.
We took no further action as the chap with the Valencia was leaving at the weekend, is name was Mike. After he left I put the batteries back in the PIR and had no further trouble for the whole of the next week.
Mike however was not so fortunate as he emailed me to say he had had false alarms again on a stop over site when a Unicorn Madrid turned up.
Has any other Unicorn owners had any such problems.

JGC

#2 Jackyboy

Jackyboy

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Road biking, dog training/showing, Fell walking
  • Towcar:Land Rover Discovery 4 TDV6 XS
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia S1

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hi All

The last two weeks we were at Hunters Moon Site in Dorset, the first week we had numerous false alarms from the PIR in the lounge of our Unicorn Barcelona, as did my next but one caravan along the row with a Unicorn Valencia.
When we were out for the day our alarm would go off, when the Valencia couple were out their alarm went off. I rang Tracker up, and they said that our alarms could by chance have the same coding, thus setting each others vans alarms off. They advised me to remove my batteries from the PIR unit to see if this would stop it. With the alarm set to on with the said batteries remove, after a short while my alarm was activated with us in the van, so obviously not our PIR caused that one.
We took no further action as the chap with the Valencia was leaving at the weekend, is name was Mike. After he left I put the batteries back in the PIR and had no further trouble for the whole of the next week.
Mike however was not so fortunate as he emailed me to say he had had false alarms again on a stop over site when a Unicorn Madrid turned up.

JGC

We store our Valencia in a local storage compound, someone has recently bought a new Peg 2 Verona and their storage pitch is two up from ours. On the last two occaisions I have been to collect our van and de-activated the alarm, the alarm on the Verona has sounded, I assume there may be a similar coding involved. I don't know if the Verona alarm activates our alarm as I have never met or seen the owner and unless by coincidence he is there when I am, I probably won't. We have been to many sites and pitched near or even next to other Unicorn owners and not had it happen before. Maybe it's a bit like the old ford keys - 50,000 cars and only 100 diferent key combo's

#3 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

If i am correct, as the unicorn has a 9 way dip switch for the coding, then i make the number of combinations to be two to the ninth.

Which only gives 512 combinations. :angry:

#4 JGC

JGC

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

We store our Valencia in a local storage compound, someone has recently bought a new Peg 2 Verona and their storage pitch is two up from ours. On the last two occaisions I have been to collect our van and de-activated the alarm, the alarm on the Verona has sounded, I assume there may be a similar coding involved. I don't know if the Verona alarm activates our alarm as I have never met or seen the owner and unless by coincidence he is there when I am, I probably won't. We have been to many sites and pitched near or even next to other Unicorn owners and not had it happen before. Maybe it's a bit like the old ford keys - 50,000 cars and only 100 diferent key combo's

Hi Jackyboy, To find out if your alarm has been activated in your absence you need to enter the van without unsetting the alarm, if its already been triggered by your neighbours van it will not sound when you go in. (It resets after 5 minutes but stays dorment until you reset it with the remote controller.)
So far as I know thats the only indication you have to say you had a false alarm, unless other caravanners inform you when you get back.

JGC

#5 Roger3596

Roger3596

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Retired and learning to relax.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

The Peg 2 range don't come with alarms fitted. So unless the owner of the Verona has fitted the same one as you it may just be a coincidence. My alarm instructions warn that bright sunlight may affect the PIR so you could try shutting the roof blinds when you go out and see if that helps.

#6 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Has anyone tested the range of the keyfob?

I suspect the range is too long, so someone on the same DIP setting, will inadvertently be able to activate or deactivate a nearby caravan.

Perhaps a call to tracker, to ask if the operating range can be reduced, or a tracker bulletin to the dealers from tracker, asking them to carry out the adjustment, if available that is, during the annual service.

I haven't read any peg 1 owners reporting this.

Which is very important, as the fob not only arms the alarm, but the tracker itself.

They should really be operated by a rolling code system.

Very poor Bailey, take note.

#7 Jackyboy

Jackyboy

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Road biking, dog training/showing, Fell walking
  • Towcar:Land Rover Discovery 4 TDV6 XS
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia S1

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

The Peg 2 range don't come with alarms fitted. So unless the owner of the Verona has fitted the same one as you it may just be a coincidence. My alarm instructions warn that bright sunlight may affect the PIR so you could try shutting the roof blinds when you go out and see if that helps.

I must admit that I had to walk right up to the Verona to make sure the alarm noise came from it and not ant other caravan all of which as you can imagine are of close proximity as I guess is the case for most storage sites, maybe he had it fitted by the dealer - nice van though :)

#8 JGC

JGC

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

Has anyone tested the range of the keyfob?

I suspect the range is too long, so someone on the same DIP setting, will inadvertently be able to activate or deactivate a nearby caravan.

Perhaps a call to tracker, to ask if the operating range can be reduced, or a tracker bulletin to the dealers from tracker, asking them to carry out the adjustment, if available that is, during the annual service.

I haven't read any peg 1 owners reporting this.

Which is very important, as the fob not only arms the alarm, but the tracker itself.

They should really be operated by a rolling code system.

Very poor Bailey, take note.

In my earlier post I did not mention that although our PIR's were setting off our alarms, on one occasion while my neighbours alarm bells was sounding I was unable to cancel it using my remote controller.

JGC

#9 MIKECROWTHER

MIKECROWTHER

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sport, Walking,My Dog

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

Mike
Hi JGC
As mentioned in emails to you our Unicorn is at the Dealers who cannot find a problem with the alarm - they are going to contact Tracker to arrange for a visit from an engineer with a diagnostic testing machine which hopefully throw some light on the problem. Apparently there a 6 pins in the PIR which can be set up or down to create different sequences and avoid conflicts with other vans. We await feedback from our Dealer / Tracker.

Hi All

JGC

#10 MIKECROWTHER

MIKECROWTHER

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Sport, Walking,My Dog

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

Latest update

Dealer has checked everything and all seems okay - no false alarms whilst stored next to other Unicorns.
Rang Tracker who were pleasant and helpful - went through all the problems and they have decided to send a new PIR to the dealer to fit in the hope that this solves the problem!
Unfortunately this arrived at my home address today so will involve a trip to the dealer to hand it over.
It then remains to be seen whether the problem is cured.

Next trip away August Bank Holiday.

Mike
Hi JGC
As mentioned in emails to you our Unicorn is at the Dealers who cannot find a problem with the alarm - they are going to contact Tracker to arrange for a visit from an engineer with a diagnostic testing machine which hopefully throw some light on the problem. Apparently there a 6 pins in the PIR which can be set up or down to create different sequences and avoid conflicts with other vans. We await feedback from our Dealer / Tracker.

#11 SamD

SamD

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:43 PM

If i am correct, as the unicorn has a 9 way dip switch for the coding, then i make the number of combinations to be two to the ninth.

Which only gives 512 combinations. :angry:

Think it should be factorial 9 divided by factorial 2 which is just over 181,000. (That's assuming you are choosing any 2 combinations from 9 - don't know cos not got a Unicorn :()

#12 pjw

pjw

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hi All

JGC

Sorry to tell you but this is a common problem with the "Bailey Tracker" system. We have had the same problem first on our Pegasus and now on our Unicorn valencia. The tracker engineer said Bailey requested only a limited number of codes which would cause a greater number of false alarms. What suprised us was the distance away another Caravan could be to interfere with our alarm, on one occasion at least 200 ft away.

#13 Wingco

Wingco

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, photography, RC model aircraft

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

Sorry to tell you but this is a common problem with the "Bailey Tracker" system. We have had the same problem first on our Pegasus and now on our Unicorn valencia. The tracker engineer said Bailey requested only a limited number of codes which would cause a greater number of false alarms. What suprised us was the distance away another Caravan could be to interfere with our alarm, on one occasion at least 200 ft away.

Interesting, this

I had a PIR fail on our Pegasus 1 and Tracker sent me a new one, after being very helpful and talking me through several diagnostics tests. The new PIR came with an instruction sheet with DIP switch codes and it states (quote): "The correct code is determined by the last digit of the VLU serial number". On the back of the sheet are the possible settings - all 16 of them. There are only 16 possible "last digits", i.e. 0 to 9 and A to F.

If this is truly the case then I'm not surprised that one PIR can set off the alarm in another caravan.

Hmmmm

#14 Wingco

Wingco

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, photography, RC model aircraft

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

This plot gets thicker

I've just had a very interesting telephone conversation with Tracker Support; the man confirms that there are only 16 possible codes for my PIR and, yes - it is possible for another PIR in an adjacent caravan to set off my alarm (or for my PIR to set off his). Obviously, they would need to be operating from the same code (a 1 in 16 chance).

Apparently the PIR is active all the time (i.e. it transmits a coded 433MHz signal to the Tracker Unit), but it is not until you set the Tracker with the key fob that the alarm would sound. So, if I'm inhabiting the van (no Tracker set) it isn't a problem for me, but it might be for my neighbour if he's set his Tracker and gone out for the day, because my PIR would set off his alarm.

I asked if the alarm can be disabled. The only way is to remove the batteries from the PIR (this stops my PIR from triggering someone else's alarm) and to disconnect the alarm Klaxon (under the locker seat). This would stop my alarm from sounding, but it would also not beep twice to indicate that the Tracker is set. Crikey, that could be a nightmare.

What to do next. Hmmm

#15 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

:angry:So in summation the latest Bailey alarm is complete and utter rubbish.

Not only are we lumbered with yet another key fob to lug around, but the dam thing might as well be left turned off?

What was wrong with a wired pir, and a keypad???

I don't know about other pir's, but ours doesn't always pick you up on entering the caravan, and according to tracker the range is not adjustable, so yet some more garbage to contend with.

I have got resiting the pir near the door, on my dealer to sort list, but if its going to be problematic, i may not bother.

#16 bartow

bartow

Five Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

We were one of three Unicorns fairly close to each other on the CC site at Edinburgh about a month ago and we were constantly setting each others alarms off . Went on for about three days until the other two left and then all was OK. Haven't had this anywhere before or since. Tracker said the same thing, same code block. Seems to be a lot of it about.

#17 pjw

pjw

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

We were one of three Unicorns fairly close to each other on the CC site at Edinburgh about a month ago and we were constantly setting each others alarms off . Went on for about three days until the other two left and then all was OK. Haven't had this anywhere before or since. Tracker said the same thing, same code block. Seems to be a lot of it about.

It isn't just a Unicorn To Unicorn problem, a Pegasus seies 1 set our alarm off recently also it can effect more than two caravans at the same time. Its becoming a joke, if you hear an alarm it must be a Bailey!

#18 binkyhair

binkyhair

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Walking and skiing, chick-lit and chick-flicks

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'm wondering now if our fob set off the alarm of an identical Peg caravan on a site last weekend. We were returning to our van and they were pitching up to leave. Their alarm kept going off...and he was getting quite tense with her for 'not working the alarm properly'. Ooops...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users