• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Broomie

Broomie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Arsenal football club, walking, cinema, reading.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:48 PM

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to buy a caravan next year and have started to research the subject. One area where I am struggling is trying to find a caravan that will match my car's kerbside weight. I have a Nissan Qashqai 2.0 and we are looking for a 4 berth caravan. Does anyone out there have a Qashqai and if so what caravan do you have? So far I have only managed to find one or two caravans that are said to be suitable for my car. I can't afford to change my car.

Grateful for any and all advice.

Thanks,

Broomie

#2 Broadway Bob

Broadway Bob

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

I have found that your Qashqai has a kerbweight of 1297 - 1392kg so working off the minimum value gives you an 85% guidleine towing weight of 1102kg (with a max 1200kg for the car anyway).

The first mainstream 4 berth that comes to my mind is the Elddis Explore 302 at 1050kg MTPLM.

I don't have this particular Elddis caravan and some people have been/are unhappy with Elddis products but I'm a happy owner and the owners club is great fun too.

Good luck with your searching.

#3 Tyneside Mike

Tyneside Mike

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, RNLI, Caravaning, Photography

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks,Broomie

Depends on you caravan budget, if there are just the two of you have a look at the Bailey Ranger GT60, the 380/2 has a MTPLM of 1.058Kg and the 460/2 has a MTPLM of 1,177Kg, also the 460/4 has a MTPLM of only 1,252Kg.

The Ranger GT range has all the goodies you will need and tows perfectly.

See here:
http://www.nscaravan.../rangergt60.pdf

Good luck
Mike

Edited by Tyneside Mike, 04 July 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#4 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are looking to buy a caravan next year and have started to research the subject. One area where I am struggling is trying to find a caravan that will match my car's kerbside weight. I have a Nissan Qashqai 2.0 and we are looking for a 4 berth caravan. Does anyone out there have a Qashqai and if so what caravan do you have? So far I have only managed to find one or two caravans that are said to be suitable for my car. I can't afford to change my car.

Thanks,

Broomie

Whats the kerb weight?

What variant is it? Is it petrol, auto.

Is it a +2?

#5 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

What does your V5 document say is the kerbweight of the Nissan.

#6 Broomie

Broomie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

All,

Thanks very much for your replies so far. The car is a manual petrol, does that make a difference?

I'll check my kerbweight on the V5 tonight. We are hoping to get a four berth because of our daughters who may come with us. I have used a website, What Tow Car, which gave me a maximum weight of around 1216 kg. There don't appear to be many caravans that are four berth at that weight.

Once again, many thanks,

Clive

#7 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

All,

Thanks very much for your replies so far. The car is a manual petrol, does that make a difference?

I'll check my kerbweight on the V5 tonight. We are hoping to get a four berth because of our daughters who may come with us. I have used a website, What Tow Car, which gave me a maximum weight of around 1216 kg. There don't appear to be many caravans that are four berth at that weight.

Once again, many thanks,

Clive

The 2L petrol is ok but requires the engine to be worked hard to make progress on hills etc.

I have had two Nissan 2L petrols in the past, one had max torque at 4000rpm, the other 4800 rpm.

While a diesel is often max torque at 2000rpm, and sometimes lower. So towing is much more relaxing.

Also with the xtrail for example, the 2 liter petrol variant only allows 1500kg max tow, and a low 75kg nose load.

While the diesels have a 100kg nose load max, and a 2000 max tow weight.

Be careful with third party sites, as the information on them is sometimes inaccurate.

According to the whatcar mag, the 2011 Qashqai 5 seat has a max tow of 1200-1400kg, kerb 1392-1653kg.

While the +2, 7 seat, is the same but with a higher kerb weight for some models. But you need to check these figures.

Older models could have a higher kerb weight.

Thats the case with the T31 xtrail, the new model is some 50kg lighter than my 2009 version.

Edited by xtrailman, 05 July 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#8 Broomie

Broomie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:13 PM

The 2L petrol is ok but requires the engine to be worked hard to make progress on hills etc.

I have had two Nissan 2L petrols in the past, one had max torque at 4000rpm, the other 4800 rpm.

While a diesel is often max torque at 2000rpm, and sometimes lower. So towing is much more relaxing.

Also with the xtrail for example, the 2 liter petrol variant only allows 1500kg max tow, and a low 75kg nose load.

While the diesels have a 100kg nose load max, and a 2000 max tow weight.

Be careful with third party sites, as the information on them is sometimes inaccurate.

According to the whatcar mag, the 2011 Qashqai 5 seat has a max tow of 1200-1400kg, kerb 1392-1653kg.

While the +2, 7 seat, is the same but with a higher kerb weight for some models. But you need to check these figures.

Older models could have a higher kerb weight.

Thats the case with the T31 xtrail, the new model is some 50kg lighter than my 2009 version.

Trailman,

Do the Whatcar figures mean that I can tow a caravan that has a maximum weight of between 1200 and 1400 kg?

We're going to the NEC show in october so hope to pick up more information then.

Thanks again,

Clive

#9 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Trailman,

Do the Whatcar figures mean that I can tow a caravan that has a maximum weight of between 1200 and 1400 kg?

We're going to the NEC show in october so hope to pick up more information then.

Thanks again,

Clive

No that is not advisable.

For a beginner towing a caravan at 85% of the kerb weight is advised.

You really need to establish what your kerb weight is, and your maximum tow weight.

But the tow weight limit is for a braked trailer, so if you needed to pull a trailer say on private land, then Nissan are saying your car is capable of towing such a load.

It is not recommend to tow a caravan heavier than the cars kerb weight.

And you should never exceed your GTW, gross train weight.

It all gets a bit involved, so stick with the 85% "rule",or the max tow weight, which ever is the lowest. that way you should have a comfortable towing experience.

You need to do a lot more research, reading publication's from reputable sources.

Edited by xtrailman, 05 July 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#10 Millstone

Millstone

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

You need to know the GROSS TRAIN WEIGHT of the car, because that dictates the amount you can legally tow...

Look on the VIN plate, find the highest figure - that's the GTW, then deduct from it the next highest figure (this will be the gross laden weight of the car) the answer to this sum will be the MAXIMUM amount you are legally allowed to tow, work on 85 -90% of this figure.

If you are going to the NEC show visit the Caravan Club Stand and ask them to put your car into their matching system, they will give you a list of caravans you can tow. If you are a club member this is also available in the member's section of their website - look for 'towmatch'

#11 poolebob

poolebob

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

You need to know the GROSS TRAIN WEIGHT of the car, because that dictates the amount you can legally tow...

Look on the VIN plate, find the highest figure - that's the GTW, then deduct from it the next highest figure (this will be the gross laden weight of the car) the answer to this sum will be the MAXIMUM amount you are legally allowed to tow, work on 85 -90% of this figure.

Whilst you are correct about the maximum weight you are legally able to tow, your 85%-90% suggestion is wrong. As others have pointed out, with caravans it is the ratio of the vans MTPLM to the cars kerbweight which is important. For beginners it should be around 85% and teh MTPlM of the van should never exceed the cars kerbweight.

poolebob

#12 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:57 AM

Whilst you are correct about the maximum weight you are legally able to tow, your 85%-90% suggestion is wrong. As others have pointed out, with caravans it is the ratio of the vans MTPLM to the cars kerbweight which is important. For beginners it should be around 85% and teh MTPlM of the van should never exceed the cars kerbweight.

poolebob

Thats how i see it.

Yes that calculation will give the max trailer load.

It works out for the xtrail, leaves 2200kg which is the max for my car.

But 85% of that works out at 1870kg, which is heavier than my car kerb weight, so clearly poor advise.

The 85% guide is 85% of the cars kerb weight, or the max tow weight, which ever is the LOWEST.

This is sound advise for a beginner.

#13 Broomie

Broomie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

Morning all,

I've looked on my V5 and in the owners manual and neither give me the kerb weight for my car. However, the V5 does say this;

Technical permissable maximum towable mass of the trailer: Braked (kg) 1400, unbraked (kg) 685.

So, do I work out 85% of the 1400 or is 1400 kg the heaviest I can tow.

Sorry for all the questions but this is confusing to a newbie.

Thanks,

Broomie

#14 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

1400kg is your max permitted tow. Recommend by the manufacturer.

But 85% of the cars kerb weight is the advised max tow. (mass in service is more or less the same?). Recommend by the CC, caravan club.

And NCC, national caravan council. I believe.

Which ever is the lowest of the two figures.

If you have a brochure for your year, the weights should be in the specifications.

Unfortunately i am not the best at explaining, which is why you are confused.

http://www.caravanta...ass-in-service/

Edited by xtrailman, 06 July 2011 - 09:15 AM.

#15 Broomie

Broomie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

xtrailman, it isn't your explanations believe me. I'm grateful for you and the others taking the time to explain.

I'll do some more digging to try and get a confirmed figure for the kerbside weight.

Thanks for all your help.

Broomie

#16 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

Forget manufacturers maximum towing weight it is an advisary ( if anyone can find me chapter and verse on which statute says different I will accept it, I have been trying to find it for several years and no authoritative source can provide it, they all say it does not exist ). Have another look at your V5 and you will find a figure that is the Mass in service this is the only definitive value for kerbweight you are likely to find. Your caravan should not weigh any more than this and indeed if your licence is dated post 1997 then it is illegal for your caravan to have a plated maximum technical permitted laden mass (MTPLM) that is greater then this value. Next find the Vin plate on the car the weights you will find on there are mandatory and you may not exceed them, the highest figure is the maximum train weight and the next figure is the cars maximum allowable mass (MAM ) the other two are the maximum axle loads. If you add the MTTPLM to the MAM and it exceeds 3500kg and you have a licence that is dated post 1997 then you will be driving without a licence if you tow the caravan. If your licence is dated pre1997 then the figures that matter are the actual weights of the car and the caravan and provided the and the sum of these two figures must never exceed the maximum train weight.

So the best advice is that the MTPLM of the caravan ( on the plate of the van ) should not be greater than the Mass in service on the V5 and for preference should be lower and even better less than 85% of the mass in service.

#17 Broomie

Broomie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

Bill,

Thanks very much for that. I did look on my V5 and there is no figure recorded for mass in service. One website that has the technical specs for my car puts the minimum kerb weight at 1378 kg. This gives me an 85% of 1178, I think I will struggle to find a four berth at that weight or lower.

Broomie

#18 Champ

Champ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Towcar:Land Cruiser
  • Caravan:Lunar Delta

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

This will help for you to look on pg 2 of your V5 document.
As Bill says, this is the only document that the law or the police should work to

Posted Image

This is a representitive towing guide, but this is a big 4x4 Land Cruiser.

Graham

Edited by Champ, 06 July 2011 - 12:21 PM.

#19 Broomie

Broomie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Hi Graham,

Yes I checked, there is no figure for the mass in service on my V5. Weird.....

Broomie

#20 Dale1

Dale1

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi Graham,

Yes I checked, there is no figure for the mass in service on my V5. Weird.....

Broomie

There will be somewhere on a plate, under the bonnet or in one of the door wells

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users