4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter R

Peter R

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi

My 2002 Bailey ranger 380/2 is fitted with a truma S3002 el heater that includes the 230v truma ultraheat.

When using the 230v heater the temperature control has always been poor, until last time when I tried it I needed to turn the thermostat to 30 degC before the heater would come on it ran until the caravan was like a sauna then it went off and now wont come on again. As far as I can see there are 2 possible reasons for this - the truma control panel needs replacing simple but expensive, or the temperature sensor needs replacing cheaper but it sits behind the gas heater which I am not prepared to remove. Has anybody any experience with this fault and can they offer any advice.

Peter R

#2 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:35 PM

Where is the control panel for the ultraheat located?

Do you have a remote thermostat fitted?

The thermostat that comes with the unit is located within the wall switch, and if the wall switch is fitted in a wardrobe wall near the fire, or above the fridge, when the temperature behind the switch gets to , say 30 degrees, it will switch off, BUT it wil NOT switch back on again until the temperature behind the switch drops which is quite some time after the main body of the van has cooled down.

Simple and reasonably cheap answer, fit a remote thermostat which will override the wall switch, and clips on to th egas thermostat located at the front lower right hand side of the fire.

#3 Peter R

Peter R

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

Further information

The Truma ultraheat control is mounted 3 foot above the heater but on the side of the wardrobe not directly above the heater outlet, I carried out the tests below with the wardrobe door open the temperature at the control did not rise above ambient

I dont have a remote thermostat - where can one be got? The info from truma shows the temperature sensor for the thermostat control mounted within the heater, shielded from and below the 230 volt element above this is a high temperature sensor.

I have spent more time in the caravan today trying to work out what is wrong, -
when I switched everything on and turned up the thermostat the heater came on at between 25 and 30 with the fan running near maximum the output air temperature was 33.9 degC this stayed constant for about an hour then the temperature dropped to ambient 22 deg, an hour later it had not come back on. I switched off the 230v isolation waited 15 mins turned it back on and the heater was working again. I have since repeated this with the same result except that I only waited 3 mins before turning the power back on.

Peter R

#4 DeeTee

DeeTee

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • Interests:Photography,

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

The ambient temperature in my caravan on site rose to 35 C earlier without my Truma heating on so I am not surprised that you are having problems trying to test out a heater, unless the weather where you are is much colder.

Edited by DeeTee, 23 June 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#5 Peter R

Peter R

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

ambient today in my caravan in essex was between 21 and 24 deg C the weather has been cloudy with showers the sun has rarely appeared

Peter R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users