39 replies to this topic

#1 wilts wanderer

wilts wanderer

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Sport, Family, Gardening

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

I have a Hymer Nova Caravan which I bought new in 2006. In 2008 the front locker door was replaced by Hymer under guarantee. The fault was cracks appearing on the top of door, at each end, adjacent to the hinge. The work was carried out by Hymer at their Bad Waldsee service centre whilst I was travelling in mainland Europe. Whilst waiting at the service centre I met a German guy who had bought his van to Hymer with exactly the same problem! Between 2006 & 2008 the caravan was serviced at the the Hymer service centre and I always received excellent service to rectify a few minor faults which arose.

Earlier this year I noticed that again I have a problem with cracks on the door. This time the cracks (about a dozen) are running dwoenwards from the edge of the hinge which runs the length of the door. In addition to this there is a long 'gaping' split at each end of the door. The splits are slowly increasing in length! and are now about150mm long! I have attached a photo which hopefully clarifies things.

I have recently written to Hymer and requested that the door should be replaced, my point being that such a failure as this indicates a problem in either, material, process or design. Also 2 failures like this in 5 years in such a 'mundane' component is unacceptable.

The reason for raising this problem is to find out if other Hymer owners or owners of other caravan makes have seen similar problems. If so I would appreciate feedback. I am also waiting for a return call from Lowdhams to discover what their experience has been with other Hymer caravans which they have sold.

The reason for writing direct to Hymer is based on previous good experience of dealing with them.

If anybody has a similar experience as the above then I would appreciate their input.

Thanks

Wilts WandererAttached File  van5.gif   59.8KB   91 downloads

#2 indoors

indoors

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family,Friends,
    France,Caravanning,

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

[img]http://[IMG]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1592/sdc12545.th.jpg[/img][/URL[img]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/1592/sdc12545.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/img][img]http://[IMG]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/184/sdc12547z.th.jpg[/img][/img][img]http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/184/sdc12547z.th.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with [url="http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us

Hi wilts wanderer,
Sorry to hear of your problem with the Hymer,( I've just purchased a '08/ '09 Eriba Nova 545 SL ) but am glad to know you have in the past had a good relationship with the manufacturer. Having owned 5 T.E.C. / 1 GEIST all in the Hymer stable I have had nothing but praise for the attention given when faced wih such problems, Luckily I have never needed to ask for warranty work but did need a new side on one of my T.E.C's , after falling out with a German truck on Dover docks, this was done in two weeks. Hope you get a quick and happy sollution. Enjoy your caravaning, indoors.

#3 peterjohn

peterjohn

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Digital photography, Walking.
  • Towcar:Citroen C-Crosser 2.2 Exclusive
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

I have a Hymer Nova Caravan which I bought new in 2006. In 2008 the front locker door was replaced by Hymer under guarantee. The fault was cracks appearing on the top of door, at each end, adjacent to the hinge. The work was carried out by Hymer at their Bad Waldsee service centre whilst I was travelling in mainland Europe. Whilst waiting at the service centre I met a German guy who had bought his van to Hymer with exactly the same problem! Between 2006 & 2008 the caravan was serviced at the the Hymer service centre and I always received excellent service to rectify a few minor faults which arose.

Earlier this year I noticed that again I have a problem with cracks on the door. This time the cracks (about a dozen) are running dwoenwards from the edge of the hinge which runs the length of the door. In addition to this there is a long 'gaping' split at each end of the door. The splits are slowly increasing in length! and are now about150mm long! I have attached a photo which hopefully clarifies things.

I have recently written to Hymer and requested that the door should be replaced, my point being that such a failure as this indicates a problem in either, material, process or design. Also 2 failures like this in 5 years in such a 'mundane' component is unacceptable.

The reason for raising this problem is to find out if other Hymer owners or owners of other caravan makes have seen similar problems. If so I would appreciate feedback. I am also waiting for a return call from Lowdhams to discover what their experience has been with other Hymer caravans which they have sold.

The reason for writing direct to Hymer is based on previous good experience of dealing with them.

If anybody has a similar experience as the above then I would appreciate their input.

Thanks

Wilts WandererAttached File  van5.gif   59.8KB   91 downloads

Hi Wilts Wanderer, I too have a Hymer Nova 470 2006 model, In 2008 I noticed a similar crack on mine and informed Lowdhams who said they would do it when I brought it in for servicing free of charge as it was a known fault. This was the Huddersfield branch BTW. I have talked to other owners who seem to have the same problem. I would have thought that because it was a known issue it would be remedied. Just one more thing whilst I remember, does your 'van suffer from a cracking noise at night when things cool down? It lasts about an hour and it drives me crazy, apart from that it's the best and driest caravan I've ever had.
Peter.

#4 hymerman

hymerman

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:caravanning, diy, keeping my motor on the road

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the heads up, on checking my 2007 Nova has slight cracking on one side of the front locker door. I will contact Lowdhams to get their view of it.
I too have noise when all lights go off, I reckon it is associated with the heat generated by the "rope lights"
Has anyone else found that the inboard tank filling hose has split?

#5 wilts wanderer

wilts wanderer

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Sport, Family, Gardening

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Hi Wilts Wanderer, I too have a Hymer Nova 470 2006 model, In 2008 I noticed a similar crack on mine and informed Lowdhams who said they would do it when I brought it in for servicing free of charge as it was a known fault. This was the Huddersfield branch BTW. I have talked to other owners who seem to have the same problem. I would have thought that because it was a known issue it would be remedied. Just one more thing whilst I remember, does your 'van suffer from a cracking noise at night when things cool down? It lasts about an hour and it drives me crazy, apart from that it's the best and driest caravan I've ever had.
Peter.

Yes, we have had the 'creaking' noises'. My thoughts are that it is the result of the bodywork as it cools down at night time - expansion & contraction etc. Ours has been creaking since 2006 so I guess it aint a problem!
Wilts wanderer

#6 Hymer Trev

Hymer Trev

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a Hymer Nova 2006 and have just left a caravan site in Luxemburg where I met a German guy who asked if he could look at the tyres on my caravan, it seems that the Matador tyres fitted by Hymer were subject to a recall in Germany, he said that Hymer recalled all the Matador tyres and replaced them with Continental ones, he was notified by phone directly by Hymer, his van was also a 2006 year model,
Anybody got any thoughts or more info on this, he did seem genuinely concerned for my safety !

thanks

Trev

#7 flashgordon

flashgordon

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:41 AM

Swift had the same sort of problem with their matador tyres, check out the swift section, my 2008 Hymer nova 570 had Kargomax fitted, these were changed on the advice of the dealer last year, I got dunlop top of the shop tyres for 30 each less than the dealer wanted to swap over to new kargomax.
If my 2 year old tyres were shot why would I replace them with the same manufactures tyres again???????

#8 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

Yes, we have had the 'creaking' noises'. My thoughts are that it is the result of the bodywork as it cools down at night time - expansion & contraction etc. Ours has been creaking since 2006 so I guess it aint a problem!
Wilts wanderer

Mine has been creaking since 2003 and I can not find a problem. I put it down to differential expansion and contraction rates of the materials in the wall.

#9 ras

ras

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

My parents have a hymer nova and have had the same cracks in the front locker door

#10 flashgordon

flashgordon

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

My parents have a hymer nova and have had the same cracks in the front locker door

Sorry to hear about that but, what did they do about it?

#11 ras

ras

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

It was bought privately without warranty etc, iirc my father has strengthened the area with riveting some small metal plating behind the area.

#12 Aussienova

Aussienova

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Travel in OZ and O/S
    Caravans
    Aircraft

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:52 AM

G'day from Oz,

I have a Hymer Nova 570 which I purchased against all the "Expert Friends Opinions" here.
After 30,000k's and travelling from East to West and North to South in Oz, pleased to say the rig is A OK.
Passed hundreds of road trains (4 trailers/60 metres long) and didnt budge it.Have a look at this. http://en.wikipedia....est_road_trains
Towing with a Hyundai Santa Fe crdi.
Last trip last month was for 6,000k's over a month around outback NSW and QLD.

Built for purely black top touring and not for gravel unmade roads like a lot of Oz vans are but still no complaints.
You can get to most parts of Oz in it and go camping in the extreme locations.

Only small issues that Ive easily fixed.
Only major one was the alloy wheels and Continental tyres.
Tyres lasted 12,000k's and rims split (including the steel spare!!)
Changed to Yokohamas and Oz steel rims now.
Come on down, big country downunder, plenty to see.
Bluey

PS 10.52am Tuesday here at the moment. Cold day of only 14c/58f middle of winter though

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Aussienova, 19 July 2011 - 01:02 AM.

#13 JTQ

JTQ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,080 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Cover cracking:
We have in our 2008 Nova "S" three areas of cracking, all perpendicular to the hinge; two with double cracks one a single crack.
The hinge extreme ends are not effected and as can be seen these are not running parallel to the hinge as yours.
No action taken yet but thanks for notifying us there is an acknowledged issue with these front hatches.

Filling pipe [water]
The original fit water pipe developed leaks very early ; cracking of the membrane between the embedded wire stiffening helix. They sent me a much improved replacement product featuring a plastic helix and much thicker membrane. It was more difficult to fit, expand over the spigots, being more rigid. But an easy DIY task. Looks like product you could find in yacht kit store.

Evening creaking;
This and the previous earlier model of different body build both do this. I feel its the body/ceiling etc moving against each other things, particularly the roof contracting in the cooling conditions. Never aware of any arising issues from this other than the "sounds". Some screws have a habit of backing off but I feel that's road vibration and its not Hymer unique in our experiences.

Attached Files

#14 Hymer Trev

Hymer Trev

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Hi All,

My 2006 has a couple of small cracks in the lid, both on the inner edge that is only visible when the lid is raised,

Trev

#15 Jaymart

Jaymart

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning

gardening

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

We bought a 2006 Hymer Nova 470 second hand.I noticed a small crack in the front locker but it has now grown into several horizontal cracks along the hinge.
I have phoned Lowdhams for a replacement,they don't have any and Hymer will be shut all of August!Even if it replaced I guess it will happen again.

#16 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

We bought a 2006 Hymer Nova 470 second hand.I noticed a small crack in the front locker but it has now grown into several horizontal cracks along the hinge.
I have phoned Lowdhams for a replacement,they don't have any and Hymer will be shut all of August!Even if it replaced I guess it will happen again.

Did you order one, if you did and hymer were still working then it is likely to arrive within days. I ordered the plastic panel that holds the tap in the shower of my 470 in may and a week later they rang me to say it was in stock. Price was good as well, much less than I expected.

#17 Michael Spain

Michael Spain

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:leisure

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

DO NOT BUY A CARAVAN AT THE DUSSELDORF CARAVAN SHOW.
I have a Nova S 545 caravan which i bought direct from Hymer at the 2007 Dusseldorf caravan show. collected in february 2008.
A very bad decision, as i live in Spain and the Spanish Importer takes offense and refuses to recognize my purchase.
so, no service any-where other than the German factory.
a real blow, as i have to pay cash up front for any work under Guarantee and Hymer refuse to re- inburse me.
i am currently talking to a german lawyer to make a small claim (large to me).
I too have the front panel cracking, what to do?

Michael
Spain

#18 indoors

indoors

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family,Friends,
    France,Caravanning,

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

DO NOT BUY A CARAVAN AT THE DUSSELDORF CARAVAN SHOW.
I have a Nova S 545 caravan which i bought direct from Hymer at the 2007 Dusseldorf caravan show. collected in february 2008.
A very bad decision, as i live in Spain and the Spanish Importer takes offense and refuses to recognize my purchase.
so, no service any-where other than the German factory.
a real blow, as i have to pay cash up front for any work under Guarantee and Hymer refuse to re- inburse me.
i am currently talking to a german lawyer to make a small claim (large to me).
I too have the front panel cracking, what to do?

Michael
Spain

Hi all,
Micheal could you please let us know why in the first place you bought a caravan direct from the manufacturer at the show. Because regards warranty work,it's just the same with UK 'vans, there aren't many big dealers who willingly do warranty work on 'vans purchased elsewhere. With your opening shot on your first forum post " DO NOT BUY A CARAVAN AT THE DUSSELDORF CARAVAN SHOW" really does give out ( to me ) the wrong vibes, I've been to Dusseldorf on many occasions and would much sooner buy a caravan from a dealer there than one from the N.E.C. but thats another story. The full story as to why even Hymer the manufacturer won't honour the warranty work would help. Either that or come back on after winning your claim and then shout as loud as you like about buying at Dusseldorf. Good luck, enjoy your Hymer, Catch ya later,indoors.

#19 northern soul

northern soul

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:cars caravans motorbikes rugby league northern soul

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

oh glad i found this as i am thinking hymer to replace my damp coachman .are there any other weak points i should know about?

#20 hymernova1

hymernova1

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:cycling

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi, just found this topic. I have a 2007 Nova 465, from new, and I too have a number of small vertical cracks in the top of the front locker. It looks to me that the ends of the "lid" are not seated correctly in the metal hinge plate ( the J shape profile part of the hinge) and this is causing tthe ends to vibrate causing these stress cracks. I am taking the van in for it's annual service on the 1st Sept and will raise this with Lowhams (Newark). I'll keep you all posted on their answer. RgdsHymernova1

Edited by hymernova1, 28 August 2011 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users