• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gijngertim

gijngertim

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Looking for the dog, morris minors, real ale.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hi

Has anybody managed to remove the cuttlery drawer below the sink. I need to remove mine to get at the sink drainpipe, there must be a simple way.

G

#2 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Hi

Has anybody managed to remove the cuttlery drawer below the sink. I need to remove mine to get at the sink drainpipe, there must be a simple way.

G

I will ask my brother tomorrow, mind you I know that his has been out it felll out when he was bringing it back from Lowdhams last October.

#3 JTQ

JTQ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

Not on the model Nova you quote but ours:

My current Hymer allows me to put my fingers below the rails and release a clip under each side rail to fully withdraw the unit.

On my earlier Hymer the plastic moulded tray simply springs off the carcase by pulling outwards its "bottom" edges, to be lifted out. It is only "snapped on" by the springy-ness of the tray. With the tray removed off the draw carcase you can then unscrew the front off the sliding rails. If you then also need the fixed rails off they are removable via screws into the cabinet sides.

Edited by JTQ, 17 May 2011 - 06:15 AM.

#4 gijngertim

gijngertim

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Looking for the dog, morris minors, real ale.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:47 AM

Not on the model Nova you quote but ours:

My current Hymer allows me to put my fingers below the rails and release a clip under each side rail to fully withdraw the unit.

On my earlier Hymer the plastic moulded tray simply springs off the carcase by pulling outwards its "bottom" edges, to be lifted out. It is only "snapped on" by the springy-ness of the tray. With the tray removed off the draw carcase you can then unscrew the front off the sliding rails. If you then also need the fixed rails off they are removable via screws into the cabinet sides.

Many thanks, mine is 2003, I thought the tray snapped out, it's so tight, I was afraid of damaging it and thought there must be another way.

G

I will ask my brother tomorrow, mind you I know that his has been out it felll out when he was bringing it back from Lowdhams last October.

Mine is 2003 and , I've heard that the build quality has gone down since then, is that true? I've no desire to renew the van as we dislike the layouts/styling of the new Hymers. I hope the one I've got last me out.

#5 JTQ

JTQ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Mine is 2003 and , I've heard that the build quality has gone down since then, is that true?

Our earlier one was a 2002 the later a 2008 but the higher opulence "S" range version so cross comparing "quality" is difficult.
I have not been totally convinced either was what I would call quality as before we had a Castleton which was IMO real quality.
Where Hymer score big time is in the excellence of the technology used in construction, primarily in the body, its panels, the reduced use of wood, the embedded fixings for screws and the bonding. The furniture also uses a lot of ply and very little chip composites. The later model has lost the solid wood used in the cabinet fronts but the design style, away from the "cottage" look might be the reason for that.
These better technologies seem to make the vans particularly durable and rugged so they age slowly.

The actually assembly skill used, IMO a major influence of "quality", is not a lot better than the industry in general.

Where the 2008 is better is in the significantly reduced drag, I changed to a bigger van up from 1700kgs to 1900kgs but get between 5 and 100% improved fuel consumption, checked over many thousands of miles.

Edited by JTQ, 17 May 2011 - 08:32 AM.

#6 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

Mine is 2003 and , I've heard that the build quality has gone down since then, is that true? I've no desire to renew the van as we dislike the layouts/styling of the new Hymers. I hope the one I've got last me out.

My 470 is a 2003 model and I have been very happy with the basic construction of the van it is really solid and well thought out to the point that any ingress of water ( if it ever happens which is unlikely given the construction ) would do no permanent damage. However internally whilst the design of everything can not to me be bettered ( they spoiled the later 470's by trying to upgrade the bathroom design ) I have found that too many of the screws have been prone to falling out, it is nothing like as well put together internally as the Award Daystar that I had previously. Having said that I doubt that I will ever replace it, it simply does it's job superbly and I could not find better no matter how much I paid. John has all sorts of issues internally with the 2006 model 390 that he bought last October but having sorted them out he seems happy with them. Sitting in it I do not think that anything is particularly down on the quality and extrenally it is a much beter looking van. I spoke to him this morning and he mentioned the two clips that you have to move but if yours is an earlier model then perhaps this does not apply,

#7 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts
  • Interests:My Springers, Horses & LR Defender 90 + the C17 Boeing

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

My 470 is a 2003 model and I have found that too many of the screws have been prone to falling out.

As I like Hymer vans so much I was just taking a peep at this thread and read about the problem you are having with your screws Bill. Sorry to go on about this matter, but loosening screws is a perfect illustration of the effects of out of balance wheels, are your wheels balanced Bill ?

#8 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

As I like Hymer vans so much I was just taking a peep at this thread and read about the problem you are having with your screws Bill. Sorry to go on about this matter, but loosening screws is a perfect illustration of the effects of out of balance wheels, are your wheels balanced Bill ?

Tyres replaced at 4 yearly intervals and then balanced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users