richrimmo

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Caravans

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi all
Were thinking of buying a ford s max 2.0 tdci. Does anyone tow a large caravan with one and what do they tow like ?
Our van is a single axle with an MPTLM of 1600kg and it is usually almost at this weight when towing as we have a motor mover and a few other options fitted. What vans do you pull and what mpg do you get solo and towing ?
We have looked at secondhand models 08/09 but have been offered a deal on a new one. Just worried I get it and it feels a bit unsafe with this combination. Any opinions ?
Regards
Rich

#2 gumdrop

gumdrop

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

This may give you a starting point
http://www.whattowcar.com/

#3 FredFenster

FredFenster

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:17 PM

We have a '09 2.0 Titanium with which we pull a 1600kg Geist single axle.

Tows well. Feels stable. Does around 28 or so for me pulling at the speed limit. Around 34 doing (very) short runs around town and 40-47 on longer runs solo. I don't drive slowly though so I'd guess you could do better if you tried.

Do I like it? Not particularly. It's a good looking car (imo) with a classy interior but I'm not massively impressed with its handling (ride quality is good though). Its supposed to be the best handling MPV so perhaps it's just my one but my 1.9 CDTI Zafira that it replaced handled better so far as I'm concerned and had a better engine too (and more so once remapped to 190+hp). Shame it had an artificially low towing limit or I'd still have it.

We were looking at a Hyundai Santa Fe at the same time as the Smax and were all set to buy one until the deal fell through, due to us being lied to by the dealer. Kind of wish we'd stuck to the Santa Fe now, to be honest....

#4 richrimmo

richrimmo

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

We have a '09 2.0 Titanium with which we pull a 1600kg Geist single axle.

Tows well. Feels stable. Does around 28 or so for me pulling at the speed limit. Around 34 doing (very) short runs around town and 40-47 on longer runs solo. I don't drive slowly though so I'd guess you could do better if you tried.

Do I like it? Not particularly. It's a good looking car (imo) with a classy interior but I'm not massively impressed with its handling (ride quality is good though). Its supposed to be the best handling MPV so perhaps it's just my one but my 1.9 CDTI Zafira that it replaced handled better so far as I'm concerned and had a better engine too (and more so once remapped to 190+hp). Shame it had an artificially low towing limit or I'd still have it.

We were looking at a Hyundai Santa Fe at the same time as the Smax and were all set to buy one until the deal fell through, due to us being lied to by the dealer. Kind of wish we'd stuck to the Santa Fe now, to be honest....

Hi
I'm looking at the Santa fe too but I can get a good deal on the ford. Does it feel safe at 60 ? I had an 06 Cherokee that felt a bit twitchy at 60. I hate towing with a car when you don't feel confidant about it's abilities.

Hi
I'm looking at the Santa fe too but I can get a good deal on the ford. Does it feel safe at 60 ? I had an 06 Cherokee that felt a bit twitchy at 60. I hate towing with a car when you don't feel confidant about it's abilities.

#5 proterra

proterra

proterra

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

Had a 2.0TDci for 4 years and pulled a 1550kg van no problem. 6th gear on motorway flat stretches. Its a great car to drive solo ,not a sports car but not intended to be. Even Top gear like it.

#6 FredFenster

FredFenster

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

Does it feel safe at 60 ?

Perfectly. Even pulls 6th comfortably, as Proterra says, on the motorway.

#7 Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning
    Hockey
    Cycling

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi
My brother in law tows a Lunar Quasar twin axle with the S-Max and he has no problems going forward with it, he does state however that it is underpowered in reverse so is having a motor mover fitted to the van.
Hope this helps
Mick

#8 richrimmo

richrimmo

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

Thanks guys
My local Ford dealer has a 2.0 tdci zetec with privacy glass and uprated alloys, did me a realy god deal so I placed the order today. I pick it up on Saturday.
Hope it tows well
cheers
Rich

#9 dsfcmcf

dsfcmcf

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi all
Were thinking of buying a ford s max 2.0 tdci. Does anyone tow a large caravan with one and what do they tow like ?
Our van is a single axle with an MPTLM of 1600kg and it is usually almost at this weight when towing as we have a motor mover and a few other options fitted. What vans do you pull and what mpg do you get solo and towing ?
We have looked at secondhand models 08/09 but have been offered a deal on a new one. Just worried I get it and it feels a bit unsafe with this combination. Any opinions ?
Regards
Rich

Hi

I tow a Senator Carolina with an S-Max 2.0TDCI all legal just under 100%, only problems I have is with unwanted on site conversations, with people asking did you tow that with that.

Tows in excess off British solo speed limit, even uphill though more carefully down hill.
DSFCMCF

#10 richrimmo

richrimmo

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

Hi

I tow a Senator Carolina with an S-Max 2.0TDCI all legal just under 100%, only problems I have is with unwanted on site conversations, with people asking did you tow that with that.

Tows in excess off British solo speed limit, even uphill though more carefully down hill.
DSFCMCF

Cheers, I get my car on saturday. I think most people think the S max is based on the focus chassis and dont realise what the kerbweight is. What mpg do you get towing ?

#11 proterra

proterra

proterra

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

Richmmo- I'm sure you'll enjoy it solo & Towing. I got a plastic Boot liner so any wet/dirty stuff didnt dirty the carpet. cost about 20 I think. But well worth it. Just have to get a hook on the back now!!! I had mine done at home by a mobile fitter,

#12 scarsdale037

scarsdale037

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

We tow 1500 kgs approx and get 32 mpg towing and 45 mpg combined. On a long unloaded motorway run its about 50 mpg. Remember that there is no spare wheel, just a gunge kit behind the driver's seat. I managed to pick one up and carry it itn th e boot when towing cos' I wouldn't like to run on a (front) tyre with gunge in it and when in Europe, can't rely on them to have the correct tyre type. Oh and on that issue, avoid the snazzy 18 in alloys unless you have a bottomless pocket, the tyres cost a fortune, no-one has any and as they are very low profile, they must surely be less road comfy, I'm not really appreciating feeling the road thro my backside when towing the van. And they wear out for fun. Otherwise its a good tug and goes like a bomb solo.
See: http://www.scarsdale...om/towcars.html

Edited by scarsdale037, 08 April 2011 - 08:30 AM.

#13 ian dunning

ian dunning

Contributor of the Year 2012

• Robert Jackson Award winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts
  • Towcar:Mercedes B200 Sport
  • Caravan:Pegasus Verona

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:51 PM

Cheers, I get my car on saturday. I think most people think the S max is based on the focus chassis and dont realise what the kerbweight is. What mpg do you get towing ?

Hi Rich I have a Galaxy which is the S Max's sister ship and have no towing issues with our van, as all is stable and well mannered. I managed 30+ mpg last time out but have had consumption to around 25mpg on occasions, it all depends on weather, driving styles etc.
It is a real driver's car and has very good roadholding/handling for such a tall car. Our car has only done 3000 miles so I expect a gradual improvement in fuel consumption.
I did fancy the S Max but I don't like the black interior so we went for the Galaxy,
Regards,
Ian.

#14 richrimmo

richrimmo

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi Guys
Picked up the S max on Saturday. Im impresed so far. Get the towbar fitted a week today. Im not worried about power just hope its stable.
Watch this space
Regards
Rich

#15 ian dunning

ian dunning

Contributor of the Year 2012

• Robert Jackson Award winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts
  • Towcar:Mercedes B200 Sport
  • Caravan:Pegasus Verona

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hi Guys
Picked up the S max on Saturday. Im impresed so far. Get the towbar fitted a week today. Im not worried about power just hope its stable.
Watch this space
Regards
Rich

Hi Rich,
If everything is loaded correctly I wouldn't worry at all about stability as, in our case, it is simply not an issue,
Regards,
Ian.

#16 richrimmo

richrimmo

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

OK Guys
Tow bar fitted yesterday took the van out tonight for a tow test. Well ???????????????????
BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bearing in mind the car was unloaded with only me in I was well chuffed. Normally the car will have 2 adults, 3 kids and a full awning etc in the boot so should feel even better.
Also my van is 2.5 metres (8ft) wide which makes more difference than you would think but still had to watch the speed. I have never towed this van with anything less than a 2000kg 4x4 as I was obsessed with being at 85% tow ratio. I took the Smax to a weigh bridge on Saturday and it weighed more than the log book said so that made me happy.
Cheers for all the info guys,

Regards
Rich

#17 slavedriver

slavedriver

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning - Crown Green Bowls - The 60s
  • Towcar:Ford SMax 2.0l auto diesel
  • Caravan:2012 Bailey Pegasus Rimini

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

I have a 2011 Bailey Pegasus 2 Milan with a 2litre auto diesel S Max and get 33mpg towing. its a joy.

John

#18 Smarty

Smarty

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

Also my van is 2.5 metres (8ft) wide

Slightly off topic but does the extra width cause any problems?
I like the layout of your van - how much are they?

#19 PaulTay

PaulTay

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Golf, Cooking and wine

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:24 AM

I have a 2011 Bailey Pegasus 2 Milan with a 2litre auto diesel S Max and get 33mpg towing. its a joy.

John

John,

Thanks for info, I have a 2.0TDCI Smax (163BHP) and am looking at the Bailey Pegasus 2 Ancona as have three kids, good to know that it will tow it ok.

#20 burningoil

burningoil

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

we had 2009 ford s max 2.2 175bhp with bailey (1) pegasus 646, the weight of van was 1749 (i think from memory). it towed no problem, what killed it for us was a steep slope at our home that we struggled to get up, traction was the issue..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users