Photo

Overnight Stop-over Site Near Portsmouth Ferry Port.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Walking. Birdwatching. Caravanning.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

I am travelling to Santander, Spain via Brittany Ferries at Portsmouth early November and would like to stop over to break the journey to Portsmouth. My ferry is departing at 11.30am from Portsmouth Ferry Port. I would like some advise please as follows:
  • Could you recomend a site to stay over-night close to the ferry port, bearing in mind the time of year.
  • What is the earliest time we would be allowed to enter the port with our caravan before the sailing time.
Many thanks for your help in this matter. :rolleyes:

#2 Grandmapic

Grandmapic

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, gardening, embroidery.

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

Southsea Leisure is close enough - we used it in December 2006 so check they still take tourers etc. Level, sort of gravel pitch with a few large puddles around but there had been a lot of very heavy rain prior to our arrival. Only stayed one night before ferry to Bilbao but EHU available plus part of a toilet block open. Also a club on site which I think also did meals - not too sure about that because it was very cold and we stayed in the warm in the van!

#3 JTQ

JTQ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

As you are coming in from the west you will be on the M27 and I suggest it would be best to use a site easy to access and return onto this motorway. Too congested in the Southampton/Portsmouth area to go on detours with a ferry waiting.
With that in mind and time of the year I would suggest, this listed site [not restricted to C&CC members?? I think], about 30 minutes out of port: -

Drove Lea.
Mill Lane
Titchfield
nr Fareham
Hampshire
PO15 5DX
Email: rosemaryscott@freeuk.com

http://www.campingan...ypes=1, 2, 3, 5

I have found the port very laid back about early arrival times. You just need to do a bit of research to make sure no earlier Brittany Ferries boat is needing their stacking area.

Edit: I am very local so never used it but know my local roads and the issues. This one will be easy in that regard. I would not be recommending anyone with a caravan gets to the east of the port!

Edited by JTQ, 31 March 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#4 greenfish

greenfish

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:looking after my daughter ,caravanning

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

I am local to the area too and i would defo recommend drove lea.great location and a pub within walking distance the fishermans rest which does food

#5 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:50 AM

Many thanks for all your posts. Very much appreciated. :rolleyes:

#6 iansoady

iansoady

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Rookesbury Park CC site is within striking distance (30 minutes or so) and is the usual CC quality site. The local village has a good pub for meals (can't remember the name).

#7 JTQ

JTQ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

Rookesbury Park CC site is within striking distance (30 minutes or so) and is the usual CC quality site. The local village has a good pub for meals (can't remember the name).

Rookesbury Park is not open when required in November.

#8 chapmag

chapmag

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

C&CC Site at Southbourne (approx 8 miles beyond Portsmouth as you are coming from the west) is another pre-ferry favourite.

I believe it's open until 21st November this year.

HTH

G.

Southsea Leisure is close enough - we used it in December 2006 so check they still take tourers etc. Level, sort of gravel pitch with a few large puddles around but there had been a lot of very heavy rain prior to our arrival. Only stayed one night before ferry to Bilbao but EHU available plus part of a toilet block open. Also a club on site which I think also did meals - not too sure about that because it was very cold and we stayed in the warm in the van!

Hi Grandmapic,

Out of interest did you drive thru' Portsmouth to get to the Ferryport or did you gout out of town and then back in on teh M275?

TIA

G.

#9 ivan leslie

ivan leslie

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:48 AM

we are also travelling to Santander in early november (9th) and will be using the C & CC site at Southbourne - have done this a few times before and it is very convenient. good price as well at that time of the year, midweek and with OAP reduction!!

#10 Grandmapic

Grandmapic

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, gardening, embroidery.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

C&CC Site at Southbourne (approx 8 miles beyond Portsmouth as you are coming from the west) is another pre-ferry favourite.

I believe it's open until 21st November this year.

HTH

G.

Hi Grandmapic,

Out of interest did you drive thru' Portsmouth to get to the Ferryport or did you gout out of town and then back in on teh M275?

TIA

At the time we had a motorhome so not towing but came from the north down the A34 - M3 -M27 -M275 and then followed the local signs. As I remember it there was one small hiatus where we overshot the turning but were able to turn and go back. I seem to remember that Southsea Leisure was pretty well sign posted.

G.

#11 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Ivan/Leslie.
Many thanks for your post, we are travelling on the Tues 8th Nov to Santander...what a shame, as we could have met up at Southbourne site. We are travelling down to Camping Cuevas Mar, near Garrucha. Who knows, we may bump into each other en route.
Have a lovely holiday. B)

#12 ivan leslie

ivan leslie

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

Ivan/Leslie.
Many thanks for your post, we are travelling on the Tues 8th Nov to Santander...what a shame, as we could have met up at Southbourne site. We are travelling down to Camping Cuevas Mar, near Garrucha. Who knows, we may bump into each other en route.
Have a lovely holiday. B)

Hi HappyChappie - made a mistake on my earlier post - we are also sailing on the 8th - likely to get to Southbourne on Sunday 6th and have a day around the area. what is your outfit and we can look out for each other - trust you like red wine!! wife and i travelling to Camping Rosaleda at Conil de la Frontera probably until early/mid march.
hope we can meet up.

#13 chapmag

chapmag

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hi HappyChappie - made a mistake on my earlier post - we are also sailing on the 8th - likely to get to Southbourne on Sunday 6th and have a day around the area. what is your outfit and we can look out for each other - trust you like red wine!! wife and i travelling to Camping Rosaleda at Conil de la Frontera probably until early/mid march.
hope we can meet up.

Gents,

Want to win some Brownie points with your other halves????

If you are staying at C&CC Southbourne... stroll over to the Southbourne Farm Shop (200 yards west on the other side of the road).

"Baileys Cheesecake" (or Mandarin Cheesecake if they've sold out).... you'll have them eating out of the palm of your hand!

They also do a very good Spitfire/Afterburn Cheddar (can't remember which name) with mature cheddar and red chillies!!! Yum!

Enjoy!

G

#14 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi again Ivan/Leslie.
Thanks again for your post....yes we would love to meet up at Southbourne, as we also may be there on the 6th November.
Our outfit is a Swift Corniche 15/2 with my trusted black Mondeo....thats done it now!!!, better get the RP insurance with the C.C. before we go.
Looking forward to meeting up with you. Sorry re the wine....I suffered with the dreaded viral meningitis bug some years ago and cant touch anything alcoholic, gives me violent headaches etc.....but we still enjoy ourselves and lived to tell the tale, so to speak.
So see you at Southbourne....Ho by the way, I'm the one with the white hair....the Philip Schofield look alike, so my freinds say...only wished I had his money!!!
Note for chapmag. Thanks for the info regarding the cheesecake....cant wait!
Just reminded me of a sketch with Peter Kay...Cheesecake??? you mean cheese in cake...yuk! Ha ha :D

#15 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

hope we can meet up.

Just noted where you are going to in Spain. Yes its over the other side to where we are going. We were at Calehonda some 6 yrs ago not far from your destination. Have you been there before?

#16 ivan leslie

ivan leslie

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:39 AM

Gents,

Want to win some Brownie points with your other halves????

If you are staying at C&CC Southbourne... stroll over to the Southbourne Farm Shop (200 yards west on the other side of the road).

"Baileys Cheesecake" (or Mandarin Cheesecake if they've sold out).... you'll have them eating out of the palm of your hand!

They also do a very good Spitfire/Afterburn Cheddar (can't remember which name) with mature cheddar and red chillies!!! Yum!

Enjoy!

G

thanks for that Chapmag - have bought some things from the Farm Shop in the past but never the cheesecake or cheddar - will certainly try them out in november - thanks for the tip. as for my oher half "eating out of my hand" think i may put the cheesecake on a plate! :D :D

hope we can meet up.

Just noted where you are going to in Spain. Yes its over the other side to where we are going. We were at Calehonda some 6 yrs ago not far from your destination. Have you been there before?

Happy Chappie - have sent you a PM

#17 chapmag

chapmag

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:02 PM

thanks for that Chapmag - have bought some things from the Farm Shop in the past but never the cheesecake or cheddar - will certainly try them out in november - thanks for the tip. as for my oher half "eating out of my hand" think i may put the cheesecake on a plate! :D :D

Happy Chappie - have sent you a PM

I can confirm that the cheese is called Afterburn! and it consists of Cheddar with mixed peppers and garlic! Yum! :P

I've got a portion resting on the top shelf of my fridge having visited there this week.

BTW, SWMBO.... says the Baileys Cheesecake is as good as it ever was!! :D

Happy Chappie.... who did you book your ferry thru' and did you get a good deal? Looking at the Algarve for Autumn next year and may use the ferry to Santander if it's not too much more the cost of driving thru' France/Spain.

TIA.

G

Edited by chapmag, 14 April 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#18 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

I can confirm that the cheese is called Afterburn! and it consists of Cheddar with mixed peppers and garlic! Yum! :P

I've got a portion resting on the top shelf of my fridge having visited there this week.

BTW, SWMBO.... says the Baileys Cheesecake is as good as it ever was!! :D

Happy Chappie.... who did you book your ferry thru' and did you get a good deal? Looking at the Algarve for Autumn next year and may use the ferry to Santander if it's not too much more the cost of driving thru' France/Spain.

TIA.

G

#19 chapmag

chapmag

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Sorry Happy Chappie... did you mean to leave a response???

Cheers,

G

#20 Happy Chappie

Happy Chappie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:41 PM

Hi chapmag. I've sent you a PM.
Take care. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users