4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnD

JohnD

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Just returned from a very relaxing weekend at Oxon Park, Shrewsbury. On three or four occasions the fan on the back of the truma heater became noisy as if it was catching on something. When the fan speed was adjusted this seemed to go away but then came back again later. This occurred was when the heater was hot.I suspect the fan blades are catcing on something and I need to try to remove the fan and have a good look. I wonder actually whether it may just need cleaning?

What I really need to know is how to get the fan off. It appears to be screwed to the back of the fire by just three screws. Does anyone know if that is the case and it's as simple as loosening the three screws and taking it off?

Thanks for your help.

John D

#2 BOAC

BOAC

BOAC

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Interests:Petal & Baggins
    Jeep & Pastiche
    Air Traffic Control
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7
  • Caravan:2003 Coachman Pastiche 460/2

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

Just returned from a very relaxing weekend at Oxon Park, Shrewsbury. On three or four occasions the fan on the back of the truma heater became noisy as if it was catching on something. When the fan speed was adjusted this seemed to go away but then came back again later. This occurred was when the heater was hot.I suspect the fan blades are catcing on something and I need to try to remove the fan and have a good look. I wonder actually whether it may just need cleaning?

What I really need to know is how to get the fan off. It appears to be screwed to the back of the fire by just three screws. Does anyone know if that is the case and it's as simple as loosening the three screws and taking it off?

Thanks for your help.

John D

Remove the heating vent pipes, they are usually held on with one screw, and then remove the three screws. Its a good idea to mark the motor fixing and then the heater cowling so you can align to the correct position when assembling. Disconnect the socket from the fire cowling, and remember what way it came off, although it is keyed, and you cant replace it the wrong way.

The whole lot should just pull out. Check for debris in the cowling. This might cause the rattle.

Is is recommended to clean the fan assembly annually. Use a half inch paint brush, and after that put a drop of motor oil on the spindle where it disappears into the motor.

Treat the rear motor bush the same way.

Thats it in a nutshell.

And then, as they say, assembly is a reverse procedure of the disassembly.

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma, 20 March 2011 - 06:18 PM.

#3 Paul11

Paul11

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, caravan servicing and repair, amateur radio, fishing, property maintenance, boat building

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Once you have it all apart it is possible to move the fan along the motor shaft. There's a grub screw holding the fan assembly on the shaft. Its a small allen key type and is a bit of a so and so to get at.

#4 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

It sounds like what we had
-- ours at the end of the day was a dead Grasshopper.. catching on the fan blade
-- must have been as tough as old boots
I suppose that is what you get for camping in grass fields !!

Maurice

#5 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

I think I've sussed this problem? just fixed an Autosleeper heating system and found a fault on the fan housing which is the likely source of this noise.

What it is is there are 3 fixing screws holding the housing to the back of the fire, this is the only place the fan housings steel cover plate is attached to the alloy casting of the housing.
Two problems then, aluminium expands 4 times more than steel, second the fixing points are nor equally spaced and this leaves a big gap between one pair between the top screw and the next one to the right at about 4:30 looking at it from the front

I've drilled a couple of extra holes in the housing where it's obviously possible and added a couple of self tappers to hold the plate firm.

However without dismantling anything there is a simple fix, remove the fire front and there is room to easily do this in the gap above the gas fire, that is to use a couple of sharp pointed 3.5mm x 10mm self tappers to screw themselves through the thin alloy back cover of the fire and push on the steel plate a few mm behind, this should put enough tension on it and stop it vibrating when hot.

It is not though the fan catching, the fan comes nowhere near anything to catch on?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users