15 replies to this topic

#1 glreeves

glreeves

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

If I need to jack up my caravan when it is not attached to my car, can someone please recommend a safe way to do this? The proceudure I have read about assumes that the van will be still attached to the car towbar for extra stability, e.g. for a roadside wheel change. But what about when standing alone on my drive? Thanks.

#2 RADIOTWO

RADIOTWO

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

If I need to jack up my caravan when it is not attached to my car, can someone please recommend a safe way to do this? The proceudure I have read about assumes that the van will be still attached to the car towbar for extra stability, e.g. for a roadside wheel change. But what about when standing alone on my drive? Thanks.

Hi glreeves

The reason they recommend attaching to the car is without it the caravan has a chance to pivot round, so better to connect to the car, or (I have a ground post that has a ball on the top) fix to this so it cannot twist round as it goes up, even if you apply the brakes it could still lift up at the jockey wheel !

So best attach to the car while on the drive !

Radiotwo

#3 klarky

klarky

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:cycling, fishing, caravanning

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

http://www.caravanwo...leid/68925.aspx

#4 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

The safest way to jack a van up, if on level ground, is to chock the opposite wheel to the one you wish to raise, then use a trolley jack under the axle directly behind the brake backplate.

I use this method every day and have never had a van pivot during raising or lowering it.

On a slope I use a second trolley jack under the axle on the opposite side to the one I want to raise, with just enough lift to take the weight of the van with the tyre still on the gound, then jack the side I need raised.

Edited by Brecon, 09 March 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#5 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

A good trolley jack is the only way. Chock the opposite side first and use a block or axle stand while it is elevated. Do not lift using the axle use the plate behind the axle.

#6 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Quote " Do not lift using the axle "

As an Al-KO approved service centre, I can assure you that the best place to jack is the axle direcly behind the backplate.

The axle web plate is next best only because it is easier to get to.

#7 JTQ

JTQ

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, computing, outdoor life. cycling and walking

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

The safest way to jack a van up, if on level ground, is to chock the opposite wheel to the one you wish to raise, then use a trolley jack under the axle directly behind the brake backplate.

I use this method every day and have never had a van pivot during raising or lowering it.

Please, is that the wheel axle or the cross chassis suspension axle?

#8 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

It is the main suspension axle.(The big tube across the width of the van)
The wheel axle is a stub axle not accessable until the wheel and hub are off.

Edited by Brecon, 10 March 2011 - 06:49 PM.

#9 Paul11

Paul11

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, caravan servicing and repair, amateur radio, fishing, property maintenance, boat building

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

I do all of the above, plus I put blocks under the jockey wheel shaft, so that the wheel is off the ground. Then there should be no possibility of the van trying to rotate about its axle.

#10 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

I was advised the van should never supported on axle stands using the axle and so avoid jacking the axle for the same reason.

I do agree it is easier to jack using the axle.

#11 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:06 PM

Quote "I was advised the van should never supported on axle stands using the axle and so avoid jacking the axle for the same reason"

By Whom?

As the van should be supported on axle stands and not reliant on just the jack, that is what they are designed to do,,,support the axle.

Edited by Brecon, 10 March 2011 - 07:08 PM.

#12 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,130 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

I am sure it was on a CT post that when storing a van without its wheels it was best not to use the axle stands under the axle.
I was also advised by a caravan coachbuilder to do the same.

Jacking is easier with the axle I agree. It depends what the van is being jack up for. A quick tyre change or long term.

#13 hawkaye

hawkaye

Al-Ko spare wheel carrier user

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, family, swimming, motorcycling, cycling.
  • Towcar:2004 Citroen C8 SX 130 6-speed
  • Caravan:2000 Lunar LX 2000 524

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

On my old Swift I always seemed to be underneath it so I drilled through the jockey wheel and flange and pinned the wheel with a 6" nail to stop it moving when it was being jacked up.

#14 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

Resting a van on axle stands, supporting the axle, is beneficial to the suspension rubbers as it allows them to rest and regain their original shape.

#15 oldhandtaylor

oldhandtaylor

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

http://www.caravanwo...leid/68925.aspx

Now that is a brilliant idea why can't we have that on our vans, B) (Optional extra the the manufacture can't be bovered with), next people will want to use a jack to Jack there car up to change a wheel? ........ Oh sorry they do :D

#16 hawkaye

hawkaye

Al-Ko spare wheel carrier user

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, family, swimming, motorcycling, cycling.
  • Towcar:2004 Citroen C8 SX 130 6-speed
  • Caravan:2000 Lunar LX 2000 524

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

Now that is a brilliant idea why can't we have that on our vans, B) (Optional extra the the manufacture can't be bovered with), next people will want to use a jack to Jack there car up to change a wheel? ........ Oh sorry they do :D

Not so brilliant when the presenter advises to unhitch and jack up off the car. I think if the car's available; use it. If the car sinks down while you jack the caravan, er, won't that be the suspension compressing? Like it's supposed to. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users