12 replies to this topic

#1 GazTroy

GazTroy

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hello all,

I'v recently bought a thetford fridge for my 1st caravan refit that I'm currently underway with.

I'v managed to connect it up to 240v (in the shed) so as to check it all works before I fit it into the caravan, and it works fine on 240v

Gas, I'v yet to check but it's the 12v I'm seeking help!!

On the end of the cable it has 4 wires coming from it :-

1x Red & Yellow, 1x Green & Yellow, 1x White & Red & 1x White & Black that enter into a white plastic block/connector.

In the caravan, the 12v circuit comprises of a white cable with Red & White wires, so my question is- any idea's how I wire up the fridge? What do each of the 4 colours represent, and which one connect up to the red & white in the caravan?

Many thanks in advance,

Gaz.

#2 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

Robert Jackson Award Winner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts
  • Interests:Steam Railways Photography Classical Music Fishing

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

http://www.westernto...ng_diagram.html

Any use?

http://www.obriensca...idgeInstall.htm

Even more info here.:)

#3 tintenter

tintenter

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:motor vehicles, caravans, sailing.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

It would help if you could state the fridge model number and also if it's a new fridge or one that has had a previous owner? Basically the fridge has 4 wires for the following functions: One to supply 12v+ from the towing vehicle, the 2nd wire to act as earth return to the towing vehicle, a third wire to supply 12v+ from the caravan battery & a fourth wire to act as earth return to the caravan battery. Note that the third and fourth wires are used to power the fridge for it's interior light and electronic ignition if fitted. Usually two of the wires are of a larger cross sectional area and these are for the connections to the towing vehicle. The two smaller ones therefore being for the light and ignition.
Can I suggest that you google the fridge model number with the words 'circuit diagram' after it and you may get the circuit diagram that you're after. If you're still unsure, then leave it to someone who knows what they're doing as you could damage the fridge electrics.

#4 GazTroy

GazTroy

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

Any use?

Hey up,

Thankyou for replying, its something i'l look into tomorrow, in the daylight, but I'm not sure this is it!

It's the colours on the fridge lead I'm more puzzled about :blink:

Cheers

#5 GazTroy

GazTroy

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

It would help if you could state the fridge model number and also if it's a new fridge or one that has had a previous owner? Basically the fridge has 4 wires for the following functions: One to supply 12v+ from the towing vehicle, the 2nd wire to act as earth return to the towing vehicle, a third wire to supply 12v+ from the caravan battery & a fourth wire to act as earth return to the caravan battery. Note that the third and fourth wires are used to power the fridge for it's interior light and electronic ignition if fitted. Usually two of the wires are of a larger cross sectional area and these are for the connections to the towing vehicle. The two smaller ones therefore being for the light and ignition.
Can I suggest that you google the fridge model number with the words 'circuit diagram' after it and you may get the circuit diagram that you're after. If you're still unsure, then leave it to someone who knows what they're doing as you could damage the fridge electrics.

Thanks for the reply.

It's the Thetford N90EL L (taken from a
ace jubilee 2005 caravan)

Ahh haa, that makes abit more sense, I shall go over it tomorrow, with caution obviously :D

Thanks again.

Gaz

Any use?

http://www.obriensca...idgeInstall.htm

Even more info here.:)

The 2nd link looks good tho, thankyou

Edited by GazTroy, 31 January 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#6 tintenter

tintenter

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:motor vehicles, caravans, sailing.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

If you google 'thetford n90 fridge' and then scroll down the results page to the one titled 'gb-installation manual refrigeraters march 2005'. This is the proper instal.lation manual that you want.

#7 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

http://www.omearacam...tion_Manual.pdf

More info. :)

#8 proterra

proterra

proterra

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Dont know if youre new to caravanning If you are remember to have a split charge relay fitted in the car to switch off power to the fridge when stopped. Otherwise the battery will go flat quickly.

#9 GazTroy

GazTroy

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Dont know if youre new to caravanning If you are remember to have a split charge relay fitted in the car to switch off power to the fridge when stopped. Otherwise the battery will go flat quickly.

Hi, thanks for the tip.... Yes I'm very new to caravaning I'm afraid :)

I'm wondering tho, do I really need to have any connection to the car battery at all? I'm going to have it connected up to gas & 240v but as for the 12v, I was just going to stick with the leisure battery only... Does that make any sense?

Cheers, Gaz

#10 philspot

philspot

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Outfit:- VW T5 Topaz M/Caravan plus Lunar Quasar 544

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Sorry, no. The car battery can run the fridge 12 volt system because your car alternator can put out the 10 amp+ current the fridge will draw. The caravan battery cannot run the fridge itself (only the light and igniter), because 10 amps+ current would flatten even a big caravan battery overnight.

You don't have to have the 12 volt side connected if you just want to use it when connected to a 230 volt site hookup. You may need to connect the 12 volt side to your caravan to be able to run it on gas (igniter, gas valve).

#11 ancientcaravanner

ancientcaravanner

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Family History, Caravanning and walking
  • Towcar:Volvo XC70
  • Caravan:Swift Challenger 480

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hi, thanks for the tip.... Yes I'm very new to caravaning I'm afraid :)

I'm wondering tho, do I really need to have any connection to the car battery at all? I'm going to have it connected up to gas & 240v but as for the 12v, I was just going to stick with the leisure battery only... Does that make any sense?

Cheers, Gaz

You run the fridge on 240V or gas. the 12V is used to keep the fridge cool when travelling - hence the connection to the car. If you run your fridge on site using 12v you will flatten your battery in a few hours as the fridge will pull around 10amps.

#12 Lefthand Down

Lefthand Down

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,128 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

The fridge will use as much if not more power than your car headlights if used on any battery.

The split charge only allows power if the car is running.

Once the engine is off the power is stopped.

We start at home on 240v switch to 12v during the jouney and then to gas if in a field.

On EHU then 240v is fine.

There is no control of temperature on 12v. Only on 240v and Gas (flame size)

#13 GazTroy

GazTroy

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

Sorry, no. The car battery can run the fridge 12 volt system because your car alternator can put out the 10 amp+ current the fridge will draw. The caravan battery cannot run the fridge itself (only the light and igniter), because 10 amps+ current would flatten even a big caravan battery overnight.

You don't have to have the 12 volt side connected if you just want to use it when connected to a 230 volt site hookup. You may need to connect the 12 volt side to your caravan to be able to run it on gas (igniter, gas valve).

Ah right, now that makes sense!!

Its becoming abit of a learning curve on nearly a daily basis now :rolleyes: but I think I read somewhere, that for the fridge to run on 12v, ie the car battery, the 13PIN socket on the towbar needs to be wired for fridge power connection? (pin no. 10, accoding to this link- http://www.sargentlt...O11446_Data.pdf .... and I dont think my towbar socket has this :(

Looks like its hookup & gas only then!

Cheers for the advice, very helpful.

Gaz

You run the fridge on 240V or gas. the 12V is used to keep the fridge cool when travelling - hence the connection to the car. If you run your fridge on site using 12v you will flatten your battery in a few hours as the fridge will pull around 10amps.

And there was me thinking you could run a fridge on just a leisure battery!!!

tut tut.... blinking novices!!!
:blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users