25 replies to this topic

#1 jonbev

jonbev

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • Interests:photography,planes,mx-5s,travel
  • Towcar:57 Mondeo titanium x tdci (sport pack)
  • Caravan:03 Coachman pastiche 460/2

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

anyone tow with this vehicle ?
what do you think of it towing and solo , any problems , mpg figures etc.
thinking of chopping the passat in against one in the next couple of months.
ta

#2 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Crdi Auto 7 seat
  • Caravan:Bailey Pegasus 2 Ancona

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

I know BordeuxDerek has the Mk4 1.8 TDCi hatch and he's pleased with the towing performance of that. I know the 2 engines have very similar torque figures. So the 2.0 should be marginally better

#3 glreeves

glreeves

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

I have a 2009 Mk IV estate which is the same model as you mention. Absolutely no problem towing our Lunar Quasar 524 (MTPLW (or acronymn to that effect! = 1340 kg)). Should be no problem.

#4 oldboy

oldboy

Just like that

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Hill walking, Kayaking of which I am an instructor

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

I tow my Senator Virginia MTPLW 1499kg nicely with average 25 mpg and 50~ 60 solo.

#5 jonbev

jonbev

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

I tow my Senator Virginia MTPLW 1499kg nicely with average 25 mpg and 50~ 60 solo.

mmm,25mpg towing is a bit less than id have expected tbh..getting towing 30 with the passat and the same figures as you solo ,roughly.

#6 SamP

SamP

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

I have a 57 plate 1.8 (125PS) Zetec Estae. Pulls our 1200KG MTPLM van with no problem. Very stable tug and good fun to drive solo for such a big car.

The torque figure for the 1.8 and 2.0 are the same, the exta 15PS will probably not be that noticable. The 2.0 should however prove slightly better than the 1.8 for towing as it delivers it's torque over a wider power band than the 1.8.

Compared to the Passat you will get a better spec car for your money. However, the VW engines are very economical and whilst the Mondeo is not too bad MPG wise, i don't think it will do as well as the Passat. If I keep to the legal motorway limit solo I can get 50MPG.

Sam

#7 jonbev

jonbev

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

I have a 57 plate 1.8 (125PS) Zetec Estae. Pulls our 1200KG MTPLM van with no problem. Very stable tug and good fun to drive solo for such a big car.

The torque figure for the 1.8 and 2.0 are the same, the exta 15PS will probably not be that noticable. The 2.0 should however prove slightly better than the 1.8 for towing as it delivers it's torque over a wider power band than the 1.8.

Compared to the Passat you will get a better spec car for your money. However, the VW engines are very economical and whilst the Mondeo is not too bad MPG wise, i don't think it will do as well as the Passat. If I keep to the legal motorway limit solo I can get 50MPG.

Sam

swings and roundabouts i suppose , better mpg on the passat but higher servicing / repair bills.....coming up to a major service with cambelt /water pump plus getting toward the sort of mileage where apparently the siemens injectors fail at a cost of £500 each !!!!!!!.......

#8 SamP

SamP

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

swings and roundabouts i suppose , better mpg on the passat but higher servicing / repair bills.....coming up to a major service with cambelt /water pump plus getting toward the sort of mileage where apparently the siemens injectors fail at a cost of £500 each !!!!!!!.......

Ouch, that could get expensive. When I got the mondeo the passage was a very close contender. The mondeo won in the end on the high spec level for the price. Similar spec in a passat was a couple of thousand more.

#9 jonbev

jonbev

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:09 AM

id have gone for the mondeo . swmbo wanted the passat cos its not quite as big so i gave in.to be fair the passat has alot of kit in it ,quickclear screen,heated seats,park sensors,ipod dock,cruise etc etc....i like it but dont love it if you get my drift , and dont want to spend shed loads of money on it if it does go badly wrong.now the next predicament is what spec level to aim for ? love the titanium x and would be my choice all day long ,but not keen on this keyless system , seems to be a gimmick .cant have a ghia because i hate the wood effect on the dashboard ,dont like the wheels on the earlier zetecs and i dont do base models at all-edge is out as well :rolleyes:

#10 chillypenguin

chillypenguin

Four Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Custodes

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

Push the boat out and go for a 2008 Zetec. Different wheels to the 2007 Zetec (I know what you mean about the wheels). Also it should have the 90Kg noseweight limit (2007 models are 80Kg).

What mileage do you have on the Passat?

Edited by chillypenguin, 31 January 2011 - 10:21 PM.

#11 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  • Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Crdi Auto 7 seat
  • Caravan:Bailey Pegasus 2 Ancona

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Push the boat out and go for a 2008 Zetec. Different wheels to the 2007 Zetec (I know what you mean about the wheels). Also it should have the 90Kg noseweight limit (2007 models are 80Kg).

The noseweight did not go upto 90kg until the first quarter 2009.

I had a late 2008 mondeo and was still at 80kg.

#12 SamP

SamP

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

id have gone for the mondeo . swmbo wanted the passat cos its not quite as big so i gave in.to be fair the passat has alot of kit in it ,quickclear screen,heated seats,park sensors,ipod dock,cruise etc etc....i like it but dont love it if you get my drift , and dont want to spend shed loads of money on it if it does go badly wrong.now the next predicament is what spec level to aim for ? love the titanium x and would be my choice all day long ,but not keen on this keyless system , seems to be a gimmick .cant have a ghia because i hate the wood effect on the dashboard ,dont like the wheels on the earlier zetecs and i dont do base models at all-edge is out as well :rolleyes:

Yes the standard 16" wheels on the Zetec just don't look right, they look far too small. I was lucky with mine, I got an ex Ford management car and it's loaded with extras, including the sport pack so it's rideing on 17's which fill the arches better and look much nicer.

Ghia trim is awfal wth that crapy wood trim. Saw a Titanium X Sport on the forecort a few months ago which looked very nice.

Sam

#13 jonbev

jonbev

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

coming up to 73000 , 4 years old..... phoned up about a few zetecs today , found a nice 57 plate in silver and with the nice 17" wheels and a towbar for £7500 but it had sold already :(

#14 ian dunning

ian dunning

Contributor of the Year 2012

• Robert Jackson Award winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts
  • Towcar:Mercedes B200 Sport
  • Caravan:Pegasus Verona

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hi,
I have the keyless system on the Galaxy and it seems to work well and is convenient,
Regards,
Ian.

#15 o2fly

o2fly

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

Just bought a 7 month old Mondeo TitaniumX 2Litre Tdci powershift. Didnít buy it as a tow car, but reading this thread it looks like, if necessary it would do a sterling job . Although with a weight of 1485kgs this takes me to 92%.. Think I will leave it to the Espace to do the heavy work, which it does very well.

#16 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 01 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

Just bought a 7 month old Mondeo TitaniumX 2Litre Tdci powershift. Didnít buy it as a tow car, but reading this thread it looks like, if necessary it would do a sterling job . Although with a weight of 1485kgs this takes me to 92%.. Think I will leave it to the Espace to do the heavy work, which it does very well.

Try it and I think you will be impressed as to how well it copes with the 1485kg.

#17 xtrailman

xtrailman

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts
  • Interests:fishing,chess,
    walking,cycling,
    reading,& TV!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

How does the ford system work? :blink:

I think the Nissan xtrail version is brilliant, really, it's the first key less system i have had, and find it extremely convenient. :)

My key never leaves my pocket, when i want to open the car all i do is push a button on the door or boot, only the rear doors go without a button.

Jump into the car, push the brake pedal and start the car, as i say the key stays in my pocket.

Another option is to use the key fob as a conventional remote, or you can even use the key provided folded into the fob.

#18 bordeauxderek

bordeauxderek

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, RC Model Aircraft BOATING !

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hi, yes I have the Mk4 hatch, should have gone for Estate (But wifey decided had enough Estates in past :( ), but pulls my Bordeaux MTLMP 1321Kg at 85% 80kg nosewt no problems.

Looking on Ford forums there are lovers/haters of the 1.8Lt and the 2.0Lt (Just like caravan marques!), The torque is the same, top speed and BHP is obviously down on the 1.8 which is older technology with 8 valve engine instead of 16 (but apparently a burstproof unit) Don't have a problem with the alloy wheels, but then i don't ever try and clean spotlessly, just a brush in a bucket of soapy water

Although had similar size VW/Audi/Peugeot/Ford company cars when working, Ford servicing is relatively cheap even at main dealers, which we have a good one close by.

When time comes I will be looking at latest models when approx 1 year old (New showroom depreciation done) Mondeo Estate 2.0Lt Tdci 163PS 6 speed powershift with about 10k on clock, 139g/km putting it in VED band E: £110 and 50mpg +

I know BordeuxDerek has the Mk4 1.8 TDCi hatch and he's pleased with the towing performance of that. I know the 2 engines have very similar torque figures. So the 2.0 should be marginally better

Edited by bordeauxderek, 01 February 2011 - 04:11 PM.

#19 jonbev

jonbev

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

does anyone know if the top spec estates come with self levelling rear suspension ? I know some of the mk 3 Mondeos did.

#20 bordeauxderek

bordeauxderek

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, RC Model Aircraft BOATING !

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Of the current range only the only the Titanium X Sport (If you go to http://www.ford.co.u...configureMondeo you can check this. It is a £300 option on other estates.
Not sure about 2007-10 models

does anyone know if the top spec estates come with self levelling rear suspension ? I know some of the mk 3 Mondeos did.

Edited by bordeauxderek, 01 February 2011 - 08:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users