20 replies to this topic

#1 kiaboy

kiaboy

Enjoying life in the slower "retired" lane

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

I have a 2010 Coachman Pastiche 560/4 and is fitted with a Sargent Stinger 310, I had a replacement after only 2 months as it was draining my unnamed battery supplier leisure battery within 2 weeks, after returning it to the dealer and having a BCA representative look at it confirmed the alarm was at fault, a replacement was agreed with Sargent, but my drainage is still happening, so I bought a larger solar panel to help keep the leisure battery "topped up" and also invested in a larger amp hour "Banner" battery.

I collected my van from storage last week and checked the status of the "Banner" battery which was found to be 12Volts, and when I dis-armed my alarm I had the multiple beeps, so van has been on charge since, but in the past few days I have been experiencing "faulty" alarms, I removed the battery and checked the voltage and this was found to be 5.05 Volts, I spoke to Clive today at Sargent, who has suggested that I carryout a "Hardware Reset" carried out by removing the alarm fuse in the 12v fuse panel, then turning the alarm internal battery switch off to 0, waiting for a few minutes, refitting the fuse and switching the alarm internal battery to the 1 position, should put the system back into charge mode, this was carried out about 2 hours ago, previous false alarms were happening after 3 hours, will keep you informed.

Has anyone else had or having the same problem?

#2 Guest_4591tim_*

Guest_4591tim_*

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

I have a 2010 Coachman Pastiche 560/4 and is fitted with a Sargent Stinger 310, I had a replacement after only 2 months as it was draining my unnamed battery supplier leisure battery within 2 weeks, after returning it to the dealer and having a BCA representative look at it confirmed the alarm was at fault, a replacement was agreed with Sargent, but my drainage is still happening, so I bought a larger solar panel to help keep the leisure battery "topped up" and also invested in a larger amp hour "Banner" battery.

I collected my van from storage last week and checked the status of the "Banner" battery which was found to be 12Volts, and when I dis-armed my alarm I had the multiple beeps, so van has been on charge since, but in the past few days I have been experiencing "faulty" alarms, I removed the battery and checked the voltage and this was found to be 5.05 Volts, I spoke to Clive today at Sargent, who has suggested that I carryout a "Hardware Reset" carried out by removing the alarm fuse in the 12v fuse panel, then turning the alarm internal battery switch off to 0, waiting for a few minutes, refitting the fuse and switching the alarm internal battery to the 1 position, should put the system back into charge mode, this was carried out about 2 hours ago, previous false alarms were happening after 3 hours, will keep you informed.

Has anyone else had or having the same problem?

Nope,

but for comparison purposes my 2010 Pastiche 470/2 - same alarm- small solar panel 4w as top-up has no problem keeping my 5 year old Orange 110aH in perfect condition......Could it be the battery ?
Just a thought.

Cheers tim

Edited by 4591tim, 20 December 2010 - 10:15 PM.

#3 Wonky

Wonky

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning!, Music (playing Bass Guitar), Eating, Drinking. Walking.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

Great Caravan kiaboy (but then I'm biased!!!!) I have found through experience that the fitted stereo drains the battery even when switched off unless you remove the front of it (it stays on standby otherwise).

This may help, or then again ........ :unsure:

Martin W

#4 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for your comments Tim & Martin,

Battery OK, and when in storeage radio facia is always removed, status is off and so is the main 12v master switch.

Next step is to isolate PIR and then Tilt modes and then see if it triggers alarm, never know could be the PIR at fault

Paul

#5 AlanS

AlanS

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi
We too have a 2010 Coachman Pastiche 560/4 and during the recent cold spell we have been experiencing the alarm being activated, however the unit does not appear to be draining the battery. Although we have all the windows closed out with sheets of cardboard and the roof lights closed, with the exception of the kitchen extract fan assembly, I thought the PIR might be being triggered by a strobing street lamp close-by, so I isolated the PIR and low and behold the alarm triggered again one night - my theory then was that it was being activated by the tilt alarm. In my hurry to reset it without disturbing our neighbours too much, I didn't interrogate the alarm to see what had activated it.
I have now re-programmed the outputs to lower the sensitivity of both the PIR and the tilt alarm - to date I am waiting to see if this had cured it.
I am wondering if it is really down to the cold weather and causing the alarm to activate.
Thanks for posting the instructions for the 'Hardware re-set'.
Regards
Alan

Edited by AlanS, 21 December 2010 - 08:17 PM.

#6 kiters61

kiters61

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, walking,Scuba Diving, real ales
  • Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe
  • Caravan:Coachman Pastiche 560

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hi Kiaboy
I have same van & battery I had mine run down while set on my storeage site, but just put it down to loose of power because it was not being charged when in storeage have not set it since may be I have same fault as you have??

#7 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hi Kiaboy
I have same van & battery I had mine run down while set on my storeage site, but just put it down to loose of power because it was not being charged when in storeage have not set it since may be I have same fault as you have??

Hi Kiters61,
If you are experiencing loss of power, can I suggest you get in touch with Sargent Electronics tel: 01482 678981, or email support@sargentltd.co.uk I spoke to a guy called Clive, who I have still got to speak to, after I have carried out some more tests to the alarm, I have also had contact with Mr Sargent himself who is interested.

According to the instruction manual, if you have a fully charged leisure battery connected and you have fully charged the alarm battery, you should get 6 months life out of the alarm battery. I am lucky if I get 3 months.:angry:

Edited by kiaboy, 02 January 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#8 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

Hi all,
Just to say I have now carried out further electrical tests to provide Sargent with more info and hopefully will get a reply soon, will keep you posted :unsure:

#9 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi all,
Just to say I have now carried out further electrical tests to provide Sargent with more info and hopefully will get a reply soon, will keep you posted :unsure:

Latest update,
After discussions with Sargent representative on Wednesday 5th January, The results of my tests showed the alarm to be functioning correctly, they suggested it might be the PIR or cable, so they agreed to send me a replacement PIR and cable, they arrived this morning (Thursday 6th Jan) I replaced the PIR as this is the easiest and will now see if it has cured the false alarms followed by the 5 rapid beeps. If it has not then my next step will be the replace the cable. As the van is now back in storage, I will pop up to it in a couple of weeks.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Clive, Ian and Dave at Sargent for their support and speedy response.

#10 Guest_4591tim_*

Guest_4591tim_*

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

All the above sounds like excellent customer service,

Credit where its due.

Cheers Tim

#11 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

I popped over to our van in storage yesterday (15th Jan) and before dis-arming the alarm, I checked the leisure 12V battery and found this to be 12.45V (was fully charged when I put van into storage, with a solar panel) dis-armed alarm and got the right bleeps (2), I did forget to switch the master 12v power and light switch off, so that could be the reason for the drain.

Regards

Paul

#12 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

Been to van again today (25.01.11) to replace the PIR cable to the Control Unit, and I had another 5 bleeps now waiting Sargent to come up with a solution they have admitted they are not able to mimic the problem, very frustrating :angry:

Edited by kiaboy, 25 January 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#13 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:29 PM

Now waiting for Sargent to send me a replacement alarm, they have put it on test carrying out a soak test, all week, this was after replacing PIR and cable.

They have given the following advice for the amount of bleeps sounded when dis-arming alarm. I hope it is useful to you if you have a problem. I would suggest if you are experiencing any faults with the alarm get in touch with Sargent

Sargent Electrical Services Ltd. 2011

Stinger Alarm Issues

5 Beeps

Here we need to be clear if it is 5 rapid beeps (i.e. quick pips) or 5 beeps at the same rate as the normal disarm beep.

5 rapid beeps

If you hear rapid beeps (multiple pips) when you disarm the alarm, this indicates that the internal backup battery is low and therefore should be charged. You can also confirm this by the red LED in the PIR. This will flash if the internal battery is low.

If you confirm a low battery, please check that a 12V supply is present to the alarm. This can easily be checked by pressing the awning light button on the fob even if this feature is not present in your caravan). As the button is pressed you should hear a relay click in the alarm base unit. This relay is fed from the 12V supply so will not click if there is no 12V supply.

If the 12V supply is present please open the base unit and check that the internal battery is turned on (small switch next to battery, I is the on position). Also check the wires under the switch to ensure the connection is not broken.

If the 12V supply is missing, check the fuses in the road light fuse box and the alarm connection at the rear. If all is correct contact us for more help tracing the supply back to the battery.

5 normal beeps

When the alarm is disarmed the beeper will sound two beeps to confirm disarm mode. If the alarm has been triggered during the armed period the beeper will sound three beeps if the PIR triggered the alarm, four beeps if the tilt sensor caused the alarm and five beeps if the PIR security loop or accessory sensor caused the alarm. So 5 normal rate beeps indicates a problem with either the PIR connection to the alarm or a problem with a wireless accessory.

To check the PIR connection, remove the PIR (unclip trim and remove 2 x screws) and unplug the plug at the rear of the PIR. This is a RJ12 connector similar to those used on telephone handsets. Press the tab through the blue cover to release the connector. Examine the plug and the socket in the PIR, looking for dirt, debris or possible damage. If required clean with a small brush. Then reinsert and listen for the retaining clip to click into place (give it a tug). You can also check the PIR cable connector within the alarm base unit. This uses the same connector as at the PIR, and can be accessed by opening the base unit. Remove the 2 screws on the top of the unit and then remove the cross bolt using a 10mm spanner. The black lid can now be lifted upwards and placed to one side. You will now see the backup battery mounted to an aluminium carrier plate; this can be lifted to one side without unplugging. Under this you will see the main PCB and the PIR connector.

We have not supplied any wireless accessories so far, so this in part eliminates this cause. The accessories are 'learnt' to the alarm in the same way as a key fob is; therefore there is a slight possibility that an error with the key fob learning could allow external interference. We have no evidence of this; this is just an idea at this stage. To eliminate this possibility we can erase all codes (fobs and accessories) and then relearn the 2 key fobs. This is covered by a separate instruction which we can email to relevant users, but is not suitable to be attached to a forum post.

False Triggering

If the alarm has activated the siren for no reason then the following may help.

When disarming the alarm after activation, please note the number of disarm beeps. The normal 2 beeps are changed to indicate the cause of the activation as follows;

Three beeps indicate the PIR sensor triggered the alarm.

Extremes of temperature can affect the operation of the PIR. With temperatures above 30 deg C the PIR's ability to detect a human body is reduced, and therefore the sensitivity can be adjusted to improve detection. With temperatures below zero the PIR's sensitivity will increase,and therefore the sensitivity can be reduced to eliminate false triggering.

If the alarm reports 3 beeps, please set the PIR sensitivity to 3 for hostile / cold environments.

This is covered in the user manual, which is now at issue 3 and available from

http://www.sargentltd.co.uk/Stinger 310 User Manual (issue 3).pdf

Please ensure roof light blinds are closed if sunlight could shine directly onto the PIR. If heating vents are located near the PIR please ensure these are closed to prevent cold draughts affecting the PIR. If you are leaving background heating on in your caravan please arm the system with the PIR disabled, otherwise the PIR can pickup heat changes and activate the alarm.

Four beeps indicate the tilt sensor caused the alarm.

If the alarm reports 4 beeps, please check the caravan is stable and that all legs are down. If the caravan moves in high winds this can cause alarm activation. You can also set the tilt sensor sensitivity to 1 for windy conditions.

Five beeps indicate the PIR security loop or accessory sensor caused the alarm.

See section above regarding 5 beeps and the checks to be undertaken on the PIR.

Regards
Paul

Edited by kiaboy, 12 February 2011 - 07:32 PM.

#14 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

Received replacement alarm today, hopefully will be fitting this weekend, as van goes in for window re-seal Wednesday (am), Hopefully problem solved as Dave at Sargent has carried out soak testing before despatching, and proved it to be OK.

Thanks to Dave & Ian for their support in this, it is most appreciated.

I will let you know in a few weeks if it is sorted.

Regards
Paul

#15 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

I Collected van yesterday (Wednesday) from dealer after having a window resealed, so as I had received replacement alarm on Monday I decided to replace it at home and had it on the drive overnight before returning to storage today, all went well with no false alarm or 5 beeps.

Hopefully all should be solved with the replacement.

Again, my thanks go to all at Sargent, customer service is second to none.

Paul

#16 BaldRunner

BaldRunner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Web Design, Dogs, Ukulele

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

Any update on this? Has the new alarm done the trick?

Mark

#17 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

Mark,
I can confirm the replacement alarm, which included Box, PIR & Cable has cured the fault.

I have had an email from Sargent and they have confirmed the fault lies in the PIR section of the control board, they have got to carryout further tests to trace the exact component, they have said they will let me know the outcome.

Paul

#18 BaldRunner

BaldRunner

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Web Design, Dogs, Ukulele

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Paul,

I have the same alarm on my 520 so was keeping an eye on this thread - if the alarm activates, it alerts the tracker people who then ring me up....

Mark

#19 kiaboy

kiaboy

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hi Mark,
If you want to view the comments/issues about this alarm, please visit Swift-talk forum and search Sargeant 310 Stinger Alarm Problems, Apparently this alarm does suffer with the use of a tracker

I can not copy the link as this website will not allow me to

Paul

Edited by kiaboy, 11 March 2011 - 04:41 PM.

#20 jpturner42

jpturner42

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:learning retirement

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

New van Swift Elite Amber 3 weks old. Stinger alarm worked for two weeks, then van static with external power on (leisure battery charged) alarm goes off after about 1 minute. Indications low battery (4 beeps). Advised by Sargent it would need to go back to supplier;

Towed 80 miles back to supplier "Stowmarket caravans' after two days in the workshop trouble shooting continues apparently.

Does anyone else share my view that since this is a brand new unit, a complete new unit should be supplied and installed, and trouble shooting should be done on their bench to find out the fundamental problem.

I understand there are similar complaints which leads me to think that Swift should maybe fit an alarm which stands a reasonable chance of working, and that all three of them Swift, Sargent, and the caravan suppliers should attempt to get customers back on the road, or am I being excessive.

John Turner
new member and normally happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users