#1 fred

fred

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

As you can see from the title I am dead technical :D

I initially thought that the fridge, in our new to us caravan wasn't working on 12v when towing. An afternoon spent at the storage site shows that it is working initially. but the automatic relay in the car is switching off after a few minutes. The relay is the type that senses the charge from the battery via a (20amp fuse, rather than running a wire from the alternator. Voltmeters would sugest that the output of the alternator is 14.4v confirmed at the 12s socket when it is powered.

Just to complicate things a little further the caravan is a "UK spec" Hymer so the wire from the 12s socket doesn't go directly to the fridge but to the Autark Packet controler.

My question is this from the Ryder towing web site it seems to imply that the fault lies between the battery and the relay. Is there anything between the relay and the fridge that could also cause this problem. Unfortunetly the caravanis stored 20miles from home so if I can eliminate that it would be convienent.

Thanks

Fred

#2 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

If you have been using the same tow car to pull a previous van, built before September 1999, your 12v socket on the car will no longer be compatible with a more modern van, ie: one built after Sept 99. If this is so - you need to change the car wiring at the socket so that the black wire to pin No 7 goes to earth.

#3 fred

fred

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:23 PM

I have wired it so pin 7 goes to earth, and as I said the fridge does power for a short time 1-15 minutes then you can here the relay click and no voltage between pins 6 & 7 on the 12s socket another click and 14v being supplied and the neon on the 12v switch at fridge lights up.

#4 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

I would try a replacement relay in the car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users