#1 Ribs

Ribs

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi guys,

I've noticed something a little 'off' with an 'offer' for practical caravan magazine subscriptions. It seems the offer they are running at the moment gets you a free cleaning kit for your caravan. However, going without the free item actually makes the subscription cheaper!

So.... It's not really free, is it?

Am I missing something here? This seems very misleading.

I've just sent the following e-mail to the e-mail address listed in the back:

Hi,

I'm writing to ask about the offer listed on page 118 of Practical Caravan magazine, issue November 2010.

In the offer, it states that you'd get a 'free' cleaning kit if you subscribe. This sounded pretty good to me, as I buy the magazine fairly regularly anyway. So I went to the website (http://www.themagazi...actical-caravan) and on application of the code (M1110P), the offer seemed to work.

However, before the code is entered in, there are two other offers listed. One of them reads "Subscribe to Practical Caravan Magazine for 8.99 for 3 issues by Direct Debit", whilst the offer for the free cleaning stuff is "FREE Autoglym when you subscribe plus save 17% on the cover price." (Price 19.87 for 6 issues).

Doing the math here:
WITH the 'free' item:
6 issues for 19.87
WITHOUT the 'free' item:
6 issues for 17.98 (using the offer on the site twice, 8.99 x 2, or I presume it keeps running if you don't cancel)

So why exactly should it cost more to subscribe and get a 'free' item?

Maybe we are actually paying for the item? Is this really an offer at all, or just a way of slowly paying for an item. If so, advertising it as a free item is very misleading indeed.

I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Richard.

Am I being really thick here, or should I have a right to feel a little aggravated? It's clearly not a 'free' item at all, yet it is advertised as so.

What do you guys think?

#2 simonayre

simonayre

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

Hi guys,

I've noticed something a little 'off' with an 'offer' for practical caravan magazine subscriptions. It seems the offer they are running at the moment gets you a free cleaning kit for your caravan. However, going without the free item actually makes the subscription cheaper!

So.... It's not really free, is it?

Am I missing something here? This seems very misleading.

I've just sent the following e-mail to the e-mail address listed in the back:

Am I being really thick here, or should I have a right to feel a little aggravated? It's clearly not a 'free' item at all, yet it is advertised as so.

What do you guys think?

#3 simonayre

simonayre

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

ive just got the cleaning kit and think its well worth the extra,the weight of it would mean it costs more than the difference to deliver it:)

#4 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

Nothing is ever free? I've read what I want to read of this months mag in about 15 minutes and it's now finished with :(

My problem is I was cajoulled in to buying my subscription at the Cardiff caravan show back in 2004, this was with the 'free gift' of a fold up table, don't get me wrong, it's a great bit of kit and still use it regularly, but free? not on your life :lol: it's cost me an arm and a leg over this last 6 years ;)

#5 Tigger

Tigger

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

Don't see the problem. I subscribe for a year or two at a time, and get the (free) gift - I think I'm now on my third. If you just want to subscribe long-term, go for the cheaper (non-gift) option.

#6 JonathanM

JonathanM

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location:North of Watford, south of Berwick, west of the Pennines

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:27 AM

The subs probably won't renew at the lower rate, it seems to be pretty common for magazines to get new subscribers in on a quarterly offer then put them onto a standard subscription rate. Not sure about the practical caravan offer, but if you look in the small print it will probably be tucked away somewhere.

Mags often don't let subscription offers roll over to exisiting subscribers either, can be better off to cancel after a year and take a chance on whatever new offer might come up.

#7 jonbev

jonbev

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,999 posts
  • Interests:photography,planes,mx-5s,travel
  • Towcar:57 Mondeo titanium x tdci (sport pack)
  • Caravan:03 Coachman pastiche 460/2

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

17.99 for 6 mags subscription and walked out the nec with an autoglym cleaning kit worth over 40 in hand....you cant go wrong !!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users