#1 Burgo

Burgo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

Hi, can anyone help.
I have a 2003 Avondale Dart with the Truma Ultrastore heater.
I have just returned from a weekend away and had trouble with the system heating up on electric.
Each time i tried it, after 7 or 8 seconds it would trip out with the red light. I tried turning off fully for 5 minutes as suggested in manual and tried again, but same fault.
I then changed over to gas and all was OK. I have since tried again on electric and i am still getting the fault.
My initial thinking is that it is the heating element that needs replacing - can anybody tell me how i go about checking this definite.

#2 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

The Truma Ultrastore does not show a red light if it fails on electric, only when using gas.

If you try and light the gas heating without removing the outer vent cover it will not light and the red light will show.

#3 Trevor Marron

Trevor Marron

Four Wheeler

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

The Truma Ultrastore does not show a red light if it fails on electric, only when using gas.

If you try and light the gas heating without removing the outer vent cover it will not light and the red light will show.

I think Avondales have a red neon indicator light at the main electric switch to the heater.

#4 volvoman9

volvoman9

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Interests:my family,caravanning and playing golf (badly).

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hi, can anyone help.
I have a 2003 Avondale Dart with the Truma Ultrastore heater.
I have just returned from a weekend away and had trouble with the system heating up on electric.
Each time i tried it, after 7 or 8 seconds it would trip out with the red light. I tried turning off fully for 5 minutes as suggested in manual and tried again, but same fault.
I then changed over to gas and all was OK. I have since tried again on electric and i am still getting the fault.
My initial thinking is that it is the heating element that needs replacing - can anybody tell me how i go about checking this definite.

As in the previous posts this sounds more like a gas fault than the electric.if the electric element was faulty it just would not work or the circiut breaker would pop out.as has been said the most common mistake on gas is to forget to lift the outer vent cover.also on the electric its a good idea to fit an extra neon as the ones fitted by the makers are usually woefully small or in a position where they cant be seen easily and this can result in you leaving the electric on by mistake.every van i,ve had has been like that its pure bad design.

peter.

#5 Brecon

Brecon

Five Star

• CT Author
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Quote "I think Avondales have a red neon indicator light at the main electric switch to the heater."

Quite a lot of vans have a neon indicator in the mains switch (if fitted) for the water heater, but it does not tell you that the element is actually working, it simply tells you that you have mains power to the switch and it is on.

#6 Burgo

Burgo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi users, many thanks for the reply.
Just to clarify:
I always remove the cowl cover whether i am using electric or gas, so if I do decide to use gas the cover would be off.
The red led is actually on the thermostat control, it shows green when on and red when in fault condition. After which time the manual says to turn the power off to the heater for min 5 minutes then back on (this gives a trip out switch inside the heater somewhere time to deactivate).
I know the thermostat only controls the temperature of the water when heating the water on Gas, on electric you do not have a choice and it heats to 70C.

If i turn my gas to the heater on, within a time period i get hot water.
If i turn the gas off and switch the electric on for the heater i get the red fault led after about 7 or 8 seconds then lots of cold water !
So i know the fault is electric and not gas - but thank you for the posts

I did contact Truma, and short of sending the van to one of their service centres I was given the part number for a replacement element - so may spend a little time surfing the net trying to find the best price as they do not seem to be cheap.

#7 Guest_4591tim_*

Guest_4591tim_*

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Hi users, many thanks for the reply.
Just to clarify:
I always remove the cowl cover whether i am using electric or gas, so if I do decide to use gas the cover would be off.
The red led is actually on the thermostat control, it shows green when on and red when in fault condition. After which time the manual says to turn the power off to the heater for min 5 minutes then back on (this gives a trip out switch inside the heater somewhere time to deactivate).
I know the thermostat only controls the temperature of the water when heating the water on Gas, on electric you do not have a choice and it heats to 70C.

If i turn my gas to the heater on, within a time period i get hot water.
If i turn the gas off and switch the electric on for the heater i get the red fault led after about 7 or 8 seconds then lots of cold water !
So i know the fault is electric and not gas - but thank you for the posts

I did contact Truma, and short of sending the van to one of their service centres I was given the part number for a replacement element - so may spend a little time surfing the net trying to find the best price as they do not seem to be cheap.

I am not familiar with that type of control.....however the thermistor that protects the heater on 240 will NOT reset in 5 minutes....more like 15 or 20 mate...try again if i was you.....Truma might charge you if thats all it is............ obviously make sure its got water apologies if its preachin to the converted......and for your info on mains its safe to leave the cowl on........

Cheers Tim

#8 Paul_B

Paul_B

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,286 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Keeping Traditional Poultry
    Swilling Grilling & Chilling

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

I would contact Gary of arcsystems.biz unfortunately he must have missed your post, but he's the man who knows :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users