#1 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi Guys,

My Abbey Spectrum 418 (1995) has, what appears to be, a manufacturers hitch lock. This is operated by a tubular key. You twist-unlock, then pull out a barrel which is on a spring mechanism - allowing me to pull up the handle. Anyway, I have been trying to get a replacement key made. I have tried everywhere, but no-one seems to be able to do it. The original key has a logo on it thats says : SIOLOCK and has a serial number on the other side. Apparently, because the key has a small metal lip on the top of it (allowing you to pull the barrel out), its difficult to copy. No-one seems to have that key type in stock. I have searched the web for SIOLOCK, but nothing comes up. Anyone any advice. As I only have 1 key, I am very reluctant to send it anywhere incase it gets lost. I am also worried I lose it, hence the need for a replacement.

Any suggestion would be welcomed.

IM

#2 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

We only have one key for ours so its always kept with hubbies set of Caravan keys Once every thing is secured his keys are put away and we use mine for caravan door/loo flap/battery box/front locker

#3 RADIOTWO

RADIOTWO

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hi Guys,

My Abbey Spectrum 418 (1995) has, what appears to be, a manufacturers hitch lock. This is operated by a tubular key. You twist-unlock, then pull out a barrel which is on a spring mechanism - allowing me to pull up the handle. Anyway, I have been trying to get a replacement key made. I have tried everywhere, but no-one seems to be able to do it. The original key has a logo on it thats says : SIOLOCK and has a serial number on the other side. Apparently, because the key has a small metal lip on the top of it (allowing you to pull the barrel out), its difficult to copy. No-one seems to have that key type in stock. I have searched the web for SIOLOCK, but nothing comes up. Anyone any advice. As I only have 1 key, I am very reluctant to send it anywhere incase it gets lost. I am also worried I lose it, hence the need for a replacement.

Any suggestion would be welcomed.

IM

Hi Ian

I think the make SIOLOCK is quite a common make of this type of key, you say you have tried a few places, I don't know if you mean market, or small shops, but you want a proper locksmith, and last time I had one cut for my wheel clamp it was about 5

Radiotwo

#4 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi Ian

I think the make SIOLOCK is quite a common make of this type of key, you say you have tried a few places, I don't know if you mean market, or small shops, but you want a proper locksmith, and last time I had one cut for my wheel clamp it was about 5

Radiotwo

#5 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I tried a few locksmiths, and was told that the type of tubular key was very unusual. I gave up trying, thinking that I would have to contact the manufacturer direct. This is proving difficult. I have had companies on the internet telling me "yes, we can make copies of tubular keys", however they aren't in my area and I don't want to send my one and only key incase it gets lost. I am also skeptical of these, as I suspect they may send it back saying what the others have said ie. "I don't have the right type of key" - which is a waste of time. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is? I assume that Siolock is maybe a type of key rather than the name of the company that make it. If I can source than maker, then with the serial no. I know I am going to get the right key.

I am a bit stuck, not sure which way to turn.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

IM

#6 b4bill

b4bill

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Ian,
any chance of a photo of the hitch and lock. May jog some memories of 15 years ago. The key I can visualize and at one time these were offered as "security locks" to habitation door. The hitch lock will not have been made by Abbey so who made the 'van chassis may provide a clue to where to get a key.

Edited by b4bill, 02 August 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#7 RADIOTWO

RADIOTWO

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I tried a few locksmiths, and was told that the type of tubular key was very unusual. I gave up trying, thinking that I would have to contact the manufacturer direct. This is proving difficult. I have had companies on the internet telling me "yes, we can make copies of tubular keys", however they aren't in my area and I don't want to send my one and only key incase it gets lost. I am also skeptical of these, as I suspect they may send it back saying what the others have said ie. "I don't have the right type of key" - which is a waste of time. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is? I assume that Siolock is maybe a type of key rather than the name of the company that make it. If I can source than maker, then with the serial no. I know I am going to get the right key.

I am a bit stuck, not sure which way to turn.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

IM

What is your location ?

Radiotwo

#8 carabiker

carabiker

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

Hi
Try this company
Lowe and Fletcher
http://www.lowe-and-...com/ENGLISH.HTM
LOWE & FLETCHER Ltd., Moorcroft Drive, Wednesbury, West Midlands, WS10 7DE, England.
Tel: +44-121-505-0400
Fax: +44-121-505-0420
sales@lowe-and-fletcher.co.uk

Technical guy is Dave Wright
07881 582054

supply a lot of security equipment to the caravan trade including Alco

Dave

#9 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:36 AM

Hi
Try this company
Lowe and Fletcher
http://www.lowe-and-...com/ENGLISH.HTM
LOWE & FLETCHER Ltd., Moorcroft Drive, Wednesbury, West Midlands, WS10 7DE, England.
Tel: +44-121-505-0400
Fax: +44-121-505-0420
sales@lowe-and-fletcher.co.uk

Technical guy is Dave Wright
07881 582054

supply a lot of security equipment to the caravan trade including Alco

Dave

#10 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Will take a photo of the hitch tonight and post tomorrow.

IM

#11 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:39 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Will take a photo of the hitch tonight and post tomorrow.

IM

#12 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:49 AM

What is your location ?

Radiotwo

Irvine, West Coast of Scotland nr Troon (Where the Open Golf is held sometimes)

#13 ianrmcl

ianrmcl

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hi,

Finally, managed to track down the manufacturer. The key logo doesn't say SIOLOCK.... its actually SIDLOCK - although it looks like an O on the key. A company called CAMLOCK do these keys. Although expensive 25 + VAT for 2 keys, its worth having the security.

Thanks for all your help. Hope this info helps out someone else.

IM

#14 Rita

Rita

Bright Spark

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

Glad you are sorted

We used to walk the beach at Irvine to Troon and back along Golf Course on a regular basis When daughter lived in Glasgow and we stayed in Caravan at Galston We miss it now she has emigrated to New Zealand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users