• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bobren55

bobren55

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Radio Control Model Flying, Caravannning, Computers and DIY. Not necessarily in that order!!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:02 PM

Hi everybody,

Being a "Sad Old Git" (According to my wife), I have investigated the wiring and operation of the relays that control the 12 volt circuits in the caravan. I was curious to know exactly what happens when the car is connected with both the ignition both on and off. I did email Bailey and ask them but as usual an overwhelming no response :(

Soooooo! Rather that go into details here and take up a lot of web space. I have put together a document in PDF format that gives all the details. This information should be applicable to all the recent Bailey models apart from the Discovery range.

If you are interested and would like a copy send me your email address and I will email a copy back to you. If, when you have seen the information, you have any comments or additions please let me know.

Bob R

#2 PAGEANT

PAGEANT

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:36 PM

YES BOB YOU ARE A SAD OLD GIT

;)

#3 bobren55

bobren55

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Radio Control Model Flying, Caravannning, Computers and DIY. Not necessarily in that order!!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hi Pageant,
I presume you are SHOUTING it from the rooftops :rolleyes:
Sad I might be, but I have had a number of requests for the info already :D So there must be others who are just as sad.

Bob R

#4 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:59 PM

Without going into to technical detail, the 12v ciruits used by Bailey are not unique to Bailey and I believe operate as follows

1. CARAVAN NOT CONNECTED TO CAR

12v supplies to caravan services are fed from caravan battery (except fridge). If connected to mains, caravan battery will be charged.

2. 12S PLUG CONNECTED TO TOWING VEHICLE (engine not running)

12v supplies to caravan services are fed from CAR battery (except fridge). Caravan battery is isolated

3.12S PLUG CONNECTED TO TOWING VEHICLE (engine running)

12v supplies to caravan services are switched off. Caravan battery and fridge are connected to car 12v supplies.

The above assumes the car is wired to the post 1998 standard.

Bob, I hope this agrees with your findings, if not please let me know.

Brian

#5 PAGEANT

PAGEANT

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:00 PM

Hey Bob don't spit your dummy out. I was just agreeing with your wife. I don't know you from adam.
Any way us caravaners arn't suppose to bicker. No offence intended.
:P :D

#6 bobren55

bobren55

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:25 PM

Without going into to technical detail, the 12v ciruits used by Bailey are not unique to Bailey and I believe operate as follows

12v supplies to caravan services are fed from caravan battery (except fridge). If connected to mains, caravan battery will be charged.

12v supplies to caravan services are fed from CAR battery (except fridge). Caravan battery is isolated

12v supplies to caravan services are switched off. Caravan battery and fridge are connected to car 12v supplies.

Brian

View Post

Hi Brian,
Yes you are right in the 3 steps you outlined above. "It does exactly what it says on the can"
The only reason I did the investigation is that I wanted to know how it did it and what was used to do it. Now I have the answers in case I have any problems.

My van was purchased privately at a year old and therefore has no warranty from Bailey. Typically I don't use dealers for servicing so want to be able to deal with problems should they occur. Preferring to have the info to hand and not have to find out when the need is urgent.

Cheers
Bob R

#7 alexandjen

alexandjen

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Motoring, Caravanning, Aviation, Photography

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Brian

So if the van has relays fitted, is there a need for a split/dual charge relay to be wired on the tow vehicle?

Edited by BaileyRangerMan, 06 April 2008 - 10:43 AM.

#8 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

So if the van has relays fitted, is there a need for a split/dual charge relay t be wired on the tow vehicle?

Yes - the caravan relays need to know if the fridge supply is live to get the correct settings.

If a relay isn't used in the car, the fridge circuit will be permanently live which will flatten the car battery.

#9 alexandjen

alexandjen

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Motoring, Caravanning, Aviation, Photography

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

Yes - the caravan relays need to know if the fridge supply is live to get the correct settings.

If a relay isn't used in the car, the fridge circuit will be permanently live which will flatten the car battery.

Ok many thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

#10 Old Man Phil

Old Man Phil

nils desperandum

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Had to have my PCB replaced at 3 months old. I found there was an HR solder connection which caused a voltage drop so van battery never charged fully.

Dealer didn't know what I was talking about - said ring Bailey.

Bailey admitted they didn't know what I was talking about - put me on to BCA leisure who supplied the PCB.

Got a new one by return post - fitted it - never had a problem since.

For the benefit of all those who keep on about larger wires - you should see the size of the relays and the tracks on the PCB. All the circuits pass through it.

ATB

Edited by Old Man Phil, 06 April 2008 - 02:57 PM.

#11 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

For the benefit of all those who keep on about larger wires - you should see the size of the relays and the tracks on the PCB. All the circuits pass through it.

ATB

Minimal, are they?

#12 Old Man Phil

Old Man Phil

nils desperandum

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

Mini - the first bit is right. The word that came to my mind was miniscule. The wires that connect to the PCB are all fairly substantial but I still dunno how they get so much current through such small connections on the board.

But - it all seems to work exceedingly well. :)

ATB

Edited by Old Man Phil, 06 April 2008 - 03:07 PM.

#13 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:21 PM

The main light control switch failed on my control panel by the door on the Oklahoma
The lights(one set) were "on"and had to be switched off individually
The dealer assured me that there was no relay on the circuit board in the fuse box etc
I found a little black melted blob on the printed circuit which I replaced with an external change over relay that restored operation
It may have been coincidence and not provable but the fault was first noticed just after a service and when the battery was switched on all the lights in the van came on :rolleyes:

#14 mlamont

mlamont

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

"when the battery was switched on all the lights in the van came on"

My problem, when I put the car or caravan in for a service, is that everything comes back with the switches in the "off" position and I have to try and remember what the settings were!

#15 Old Man Phil

Old Man Phil

nils desperandum

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

The reason I don't trust dealers - well not the one I had to use for the warranty - is that the electric expelair over the cooker which we paid for as an extra was wired into the lighting, even though there is a dedicated fused wire in the ceiling for it.

The stereo was wired up except for the permanent live to display the flashing LED when the front is removed.

They said reversing lights couldn't be fitted to my particular model. I did it myself, and corrected the other two mistakes.

They hadn't a clue about the difference between pre & post 98 wiring. I really don't know how they keep their franchise.

BUT - I got an excellent discount on the purchase - so I spose you can't have it all.

Good job I can follow a wiring diagram and use a multi-meter.

ATB

#16 ian dunning

ian dunning

Contributor of the Year 2012

• Robert Jackson Award winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,244 posts
  • Towcar:Mercedes B200 Sport
  • Caravan:Pegasus Verona

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

The reason I don't trust dealers - well not the one I had to use for the warranty - is that the electric expelair over the cooker which we paid for as an extra was wired into the lighting, even though there is a dedicated fused wire in the ceiling for it.

The stereo was wired up except for the permanent live to display the flashing LED when the front is removed.

They said reversing lights couldn't be fitted to my particular model. I did it myself, and corrected the other two mistakes.

They hadn't a clue about the difference between pre & post 98 wiring. I really don't know how they keep their franchise.

BUT - I got an excellent discount on the purchase - so I spose you can't have it all.

Good job I can follow a wiring diagram and use a multi-meter.

ATB

Hi Phil,

Have you informed the dealer of these issues as just maybe they wouldn't be very happy with their fitter's work, if indeed it is sub standard. When I was working, and there were issues with my Firefighters not doing their job, if nobody told me I couldn't address those problems, so I preferred to know about them.

Apologies to OP for going off topic,

Regards,
ian.

Edited by ian dunning, 07 April 2008 - 10:08 AM.

#17 Old Man Phil

Old Man Phil

nils desperandum

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

Answered by PM

#18 gmoss

gmoss

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

Had an issue at the weekend that I want to get my head around, although the 'van is still under warranty from the dealer we bought it off.

Caravan: 2005 Bailey Pageant Champagne
Wiring: 12N & 12S sockets

I'll keep the story short and simply tell you what I found:
The supply fuse for the 12S relay box had blown in our car. When I removed the grey plug, I found it distorted and showing signs of a lot of heat/electrical short.
I haven't had time to disassemble the plug & socket as yet (in an attempt to understand what's happened) but it looks to me like there's been a massive current draw that caused the issue.

Any idea as to what could've caused it? My initial thought is fridge (it was switched to the battery symbol) or caravan battery charger. The master switch was off in the caravan.

I'm worried I'm going to face an uphill battle with the dealer/service dept to get this properly investigated (they've already suggested the car could be at fault, over the phone).

If anyone has any advice, I'd be greatful. Whilst I'm handy with a multi-meter, I don't possess any further test equipment!

Thanks, Graham

#19 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hi Graham
Sounds like a classic case of pin overheat. The return from the fridge supply, pin 7, is in the middle of the cluster and thus if there is some bad contact, it can overheat and burn out as it is carrying around 10amps continuously.
This link tells you all about it and the solution
http://www.towitall.co.uk/faq/faq1.htm
Brian

#20 gmoss

gmoss

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Brian - I'll ensure the new socket & plug are in good condition, plus consider the advice given from that article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users