9 replies to this topic

#1 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

I have a Carver motor mover on my Pageant S6 Monarch. It's great (most of the time). I've noticed though when moving the caravan backwards that it keeps cutting out, i.e. it runs for about a second and then stops, then starts again then stops... Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I stand very close to where the unit box is installed so I don't hink distance is an issue.

Incidentally, does it do any damage to the tyres if I forget to disengage the motor mover for a couple of days?

Richard

#2 stuey

stuey

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Interests:all aspects of caravaning & motorhoming
    geocaching

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Ihave a truma which i belive used to be carver on my van & it cuts out sometimes as well.The first thing i would do is change the batteries in your remote,put some duracells of other high quality ones in,i put some wilko cheapies in & they only lasted a short time,i think you may notice a difference.As for leaving the mover engaged,that is a no no,i did it once overnight,not good for the tyres.Hope this helps

#3 TizzyLizzy

TizzyLizzy

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

We have a powertouch mover, we would'nt leave it engaged for much more than an hour.

#4 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

Just today had my mover adjusted.Mine is a Truma with manual cross action engage.

Last week bought new tyres which were of a slightly different profile and to make sure I called my mobile fitter to check the tolerances on the mover gap.
One side was slightly out and was a little tight so they had to drop the mover back a touch on one side.

I asked the fitter what would be the effect of this..

-- first he said that it may be more difficult to engage manually.
-- Another point was that sometimes if the loads are not equal on each side then the mover will stop - as if cut out.
-- But the it will start up again with the next press.

So I don't know if this may be your problem -- they checked the gap with a metal gauge.

Your other question about leaving the mover in contact with the tyre
-- well up till last week I would have said no problem..
Then last week the tyre fitter showed me the tyres that had come off my van
-- not worn at all
-- But when you ran your hand around the inside of the tyre you could feel bumps
-- he told me that these were where the mover had been left on the tyre
-- so I drop mine off each time now.

Another interesting point
-- although the tyres were not worn there were scuff marks on the tyre
-- suggesting that the mover had rubbed on the tyre and roughed some of the rubber away.
This could happen if you are going up a bump and the wheel wont go and the mover grinds away
-- at the tyre..

Very interesting.. watching these guys at work.

I did also have the wheels balanced as I have Tyron bands
-- the fitter had a shock to find out how much they were out of balance.

Maurice

#5 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

Just today had my mover adjusted.Mine is a Truma with manual cross action engage.

Last week bought new tyres which were of a slightly different profile and to make sure I called my mobile fitter to check the tolerances on the mover gap.
One side was slightly out and was a little tight so they had to drop the mover back a touch on one side.

I asked the fitter what would be the effect of this..

-- first he said that it may be more difficult to engage manually.
-- Another point was that sometimes if the loads are not equal on each side then the mover will stop - as if cut out.
-- But the it will start up again with the next press.

So I don't know if this may be your problem -- they checked the gap with a metal gauge.

Your other question about leaving the mover in contact with the tyre
-- well up till last week I would have said no problem..
Then last week the tyre fitter showed me the tyres that had come off my van
-- not worn at all
-- But when you ran your hand around the inside of the tyre you could feel bumps
-- he told me that these were where the mover had been left on the tyre
-- so I drop mine off each time now.

Another interesting point
-- although the tyres were not worn there were scuff marks on the tyre
-- suggesting that the mover had rubbed on the tyre and roughed some of the rubber away.
This could happen if you are going up a bump and the wheel wont go and the mover grinds away
-- at the tyre..

Very interesting.. watching these guys at work.

I did also have the wheels balanced as I have Tyron bands
-- the fitter had a shock to find out how much they were out of balance.

Maurice

Excellent feedback, thank you. I suspect mine is a Truma too as I don't think you can get Carver anymore. It too has manual engage (although different from my previous van, this one I only have to engage on the one side and the other side engages at the same time - is that what you mean by cross action engage?).

I haven't checked whether or not there's a difference in the gap, something I'll do next time I get my van out of storage. The strange thing for me is that it only seems to do it when reversing the van. I'm half suspecting now that it might be something to do with the fact that there seems to be some play in the mounting of the near side motor, if things are really that sensitive. I bet if I run the motor mover w/o engaging to the tyres it won't cut out. I'll post again in a couple of weeks.

As far as leaving the mover engaged, it's not something I would normally do. I forgot to disengage it for a day last time I used it. I couldn't see any obvious damage but I was concerned enough to ask on this forum.

Edited by RichardBrown, 15 July 2010 - 12:40 PM.

#6 Robbiewos

Robbiewos

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, Photography, Computing, Fishing & Football

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

I Had a similar problem and as already has been said a new set of remote batteries solved the problem

Edited by Robbiewos, 15 July 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#7 stuey

stuey

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Interests:all aspects of caravaning & motorhoming
    geocaching

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:31 PM

interesting about the gap difference between tyres & roller causing it to cut out,possibly check that one out with truma or other mover manufacturer

#8 syandi

syandi

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have a Carver motor mover on my Pageant S6 Monarch. It's great (most of the time). I've noticed though when moving the caravan backwards that it keeps cutting out, i.e. it runs for about a second and then stops, then starts again then stops... Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I stand very close to where the unit box is installed so I don't hink distance is an issue.

Incidentally, does it do any damage to the tyres if I forget to disengage the motor mover for a couple of days?

Richard

I am having similar problems with the Truma mover fitted to my van, it did start off just when reversing the van but now it does it regardless of direction. I have checked that the battery is fully charged as well as changing the ones in the handset. Tried operating the mover with the handset within 2 inches of the controller but still the same. I have also noticed that it doesnt always "see" the remote control when switching on or pressing the buttons sometimes. I have managed to isolate the problem to just one motor, the nearside one, and have run it whilst not engaged but it still "cycles".
I now suspect that it is the control box at fault but before I take the plunge and buy a new one, has your problem been resolved and how? Any other help would also be appreciated.:rolleyes:

#9 chad

chad

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

I am having similar problems with the Truma mover fitted to my van, it did start off just when reversing the van but now it does it regardless of direction. I have checked that the battery is fully charged as well as changing the ones in the handset. Tried operating the mover with the handset within 2 inches of the controller but still the same. I have also noticed that it doesnt always "see" the remote control when switching on or pressing the buttons sometimes. I have managed to isolate the problem to just one motor, the nearside one, and have run it whilst not engaged but it still "cycles".
I now suspect that it is the control box at fault but before I take the plunge and buy a new one, has your problem been resolved and how? Any other help would also be appreciated.:rolleyes:

I had same fault on a Truma mover, needed a new circuit board cost over 200.00.

#10 Wingco

Wingco

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, photography, RC model aircraft

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

This might be as simple as bending the antenna on the master receiver unit. I have a Reich and it used to cut out at times (as if it had lost radio "contact"). When the mover was subsequently fitted to the Pegasus the problem went away, but I notice that the aerial is now at 90 degrees to what it used to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users