Fitting A 12 Volt Plughole

IanHT

I would like to fit a 12v socket - whether a cigar lighter style or a two pin socket - to my 2004 Adria. It has a charger and leisure battery under one of the front seats and the interior lights are 12 volt. However there is no plughole for accessories. ..

I could wire one up very easily direct to the battery clamps or even where the charger's two wires attach to the charger but this could seem a bit amateur. Is there a better way? The 12 volt wires from the battery/charger disappear under the fitted unit so I assume that any sort of junction box is hidden behind the fridge or wardrobe.

Any helpful hints gratefully received!

Ian

In my opion direct to the battery via a suitable fuse and correctly rated cable is the best option and far from being amateur

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

I would like to fit a 12v socket - whether a cigar lighter style or a two pin socket - to my 2004 Adria. It has a charger and leisure battery under one of the front seats and the interior lights are 12 volt. However there is no plughole for accessories. ..

I could wire one up very easily direct to the battery clamps or even where the charger's two wires attach to the charger but this could seem a bit amateur. Is there a better way? The 12 volt wires from the battery/charger disappear under the fitted unit so I assume that any sort of junction box is hidden behind the fridge or wardrobe.

Any helpful hints gratefully received!

Ian

Try here for sockets and plugs. Hella

Fit your own junction box in a suitable location wired to the battery with a fuse in line.

Type in "CBE" socket into Ebay or google, you can choose the correct type of socket, surround, colour etc etc for your van.

I put 3 into my Adria which were the same match as originals.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Ian, get under the caravan and find the junction boxes that Adria use to route all the wiring throughout the van. They are normally around 150mm square and light grey in colour. Undo the cover and you will find that they consist of multiple spade connections. With a bit of wire tracing with a multimeter you should be able to find a suitable pair of connections to wire in your socket. They usually have quite a few spades free to wire into. HTH

Thanks Brassneck and syandi, Sorry for the delay in replying!

I'll have a look for wiring points - for power from the caravan's battery I think I'll be able to stay "inside" rather than look at the junction boxes underneath (I did look inside one as the 12S cable's outer had been pulled out a bit and it did have a big spade connector block).

I have taken out the wardrobe floor and the fusebox cover since my original post and it is easy to see where the positive and negative from the cara battery connect so I'll have a think.

The CBE sockets look promising.

Ian

Ian, the CBE sockets are the ones in your caravan anyway. They come in 3 sections, the rear which you connect your wires onto, a plate that fits over that that clips on to give you right shape and holes to screw in and the final clip on face plate. All 3 are multi chamgeable, so you can have a silver 12v socket with an aerial connection in it, 2 tv points in grey, 1 tv point 1 satellite connection etc etc etc, you just buy the one you want.

In the past ive always bought mine from "caravanstuff4you" as they always had or got what i wanted, so i know they do what you want. They have an ebay shop.

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

If you are fitting a cbe 12v ciggy lighter type just be aware it comes in two sizes a small diameter plug and a large one it's the large one that you want

Thanks guys - I'm going to go out and plan what I/the children will need. A 12v cig. plug with TV socket would be good (I'd noticed the different sizes but wasn't aware of that before) but the children may find simple 12v cig sockets useful for i-pod and MP3 and Nintendo DS charging, and DVD screen power. I think they'd like their built-in bunks (across the back, permamently set up) to have their own power and if it keeps them quiet. ..

Ian

• 6 months later...

The 12 volt plughole you need is probably available in Maplins. It needed a holesaw of the correct size to cut into a panel however.

I fitted mine through a panel in the wardrobe and wired directly to the battery via a fuse holder on the live cable.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The 12 volt plughole you need is probably available in Maplins. It needed a holesaw of the correct size to cut into a panel however.

I fitted mine through a panel in the wardrobe and wired directly to the battery via a fuse holder on the live cable.

He's probably done the job by now. :D

ooops

Did not spot the date. Wonder how it went? :lol:

Still, It might help someone else. ;)

Edited by Lefthand Down

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.