• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oscar3769

oscar3769

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Hi folks I hope someone can help I have an Abbey Vogue 620 and it has got the Truma Ultraheat blown air system, initially I had problems trying to work out how to get the heater working then after some help from a friend managed to get it sorted, I tried it again at the weekend and followed the instructions to the T, I have tried turning it to each of the settings i.e 500w, 1000w and 2000w and each time the green light comes on then switches off, it doesnt matter what temp the inside of the van is and there arent any heat sources that may affect it, it works ok on the gas setting, any ideas.
Many thanks

#2 Terrytraveller

Terrytraveller

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hi Oscar,
I've found the same problem and it's usually my fault, as I forget to turn up the room thermostat which may present the same symptoms - worth a check.Posted Image
Regards Terry

#3 spannaz

spannaz

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Towcar:Kia Sedona
  • Caravan:Bailey California

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hi folks I hope someone can help I have an Abbey Vogue 620 and it has got the Truma Ultraheat blown air system, initially I had problems trying to work out how to get the heater working then after some help from a friend managed to get it sorted, I tried it again at the weekend and followed the instructions to the T, I have tried turning it to each of the settings i.e 500w, 1000w and 2000w and each time the green light comes on then switches off, it doesnt matter what temp the inside of the van is and there arent any heat sources that may affect it, it works ok on the gas setting, any ideas.
Many thanks

Hi it could be the same problem i had. We had heating, then it just stopped, turned out to be one of the sensors behind the gas unit, we ordered both the limiter and controller (15 inc postage) and replaced them both and it's better than ever. But dont forget to get a new gasket for the flu, and really should be done with someone than knows what they are doing as you need to remove gas pipe. We did it (have a friend that is gas safe) and like said, simple and easy fix. Hope this helps

#4 SBS

SBS

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

Many thanks

When the power is switched on, the green LED should remain lit. First, check the fused spur,it may be in the wardrobe or on the front of the bedlocker. The fuseholder sometimes becomes loose and will not pass current. If this is OK, then it's likely to be the transformer on the PCB which powers the 12v side. This powers the LED and the fact that it's going out points to this.

If this is the case, then talk to Gary at Arc Systems, as he can supply uprated, exchange PCBs.

Hope this helps

Mike

#5 paulthomas

paulthomas

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Calligraphy,walking.
  • Towcar:2013 VW Touareg V6 TDI. SE
  • Caravan:2011 Sterling Elite Amber

Posted 07 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

When the power is switched on, the green LED should remain lit. First, check the fused spur,it may be in the wardrobe or on the front of the bedlocker. The fuseholder sometimes becomes loose and will not pass current. If this is OK, then it's likely to be the transformer on the PCB which powers the 12v side. This powers the LED and the fact that it's going out points to this.

If this is the case, then talk to Gary at Arc Systems, as he can supply uprated, exchange PCBs.

Hope this helps

Mike

Perfect timing!Just been out to check the van before going away on Monday.Exactly the same problem.
Came in and posted a query on Swift's website.Then looked at CT and lo and behold!No idea where the fusebox or relevant spur is on my van.Consumer unit is OK with nothing tripped.This unit was replaced under warranty six weeks ago though.

#6 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

This unit was replaced under warranty six weeks ago though.

Can you elaborate on what was replaced?

#7 paulthomas

paulthomas

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

Can you elaborate on what was replaced?

Sorry.Should have been clearer.It was the consumer unit that was replaced under warranty.Nordelletronica branded replacement.
I was trying to get the electric heater working like OP but,similarly to OP,when the control knob was turned to 2000 the green light came on very briefly then there was a slight click,the green light went out and there was no heat.Switched off the heater switch on the consumer unit and went away.Returned 3 hrs later and switched control unit on.Again,green light came on very briefly when the dial was turned to 2000 but then appeared to flicker very briefly before going out.
This is a bit of a b.g..r as we are taking the van to Hampshire on Monday,for a fortnight.
Dealer is unable to fix it at such short notice,and I understand the heater is out of Truma's 24 month warranty period.We hope we might be able get it sorted whilst on site but it's a long shot!

Edited by paulthomas, 07 May 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#8 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

Well on the bright side, our kid has emigrated to Dorset and he says it's warmer down south!

Sorry, Hampshire, I have several possible local mobile people's numbers and one should be able to help, first is Jimmy, www.3mscaravancare.co.uk.
I can then supply one of my uprated control boards if infact that's required? could simply be the 'switch spur' 240v isolation switch at fault, this is not the main consumer unit you have had replaced, but a normal domestic sized wall switch with a 10A fuse in it.

#9 oscar3769

oscar3769

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for that guys I am going down to the van again on friday and will check the fuses and also the main consumer unit, I have a feeling that I did thoroughly check these last time, there is someone down in near Scorrier that offers a mobile caravan repair service but I can only assume it comes with a price. If it is the sensors as spannaz suggests would it still work on gas, if it is the fused spur then I guess that is a simple replace, if it is the pcb what sort of cost is an uprated pcb and how difficult is it to replace? Thanks again really helpful comments.

#10 spannaz

spannaz

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for that guys I am going down to the van again on friday and will check the fuses and also the main consumer unit, I have a feeling that I did thoroughly check these last time, there is someone down in near Scorrier that offers a mobile caravan repair service but I can only assume it comes with a price. If it is the sensors as spannaz suggests would it still work on gas, if it is the fused spur then I guess that is a simple replace, if it is the pcb what sort of cost is an uprated pcb and how difficult is it to replace? Thanks again really helpful comments.

Gary from ARC is "The Master" when it comes to these systems, and what that man does not know..................ain't worth knowing trust me! Have dealt with the man in the past, and comes very highly recommended by the guy who services my van, so he know's his stuff.
All i can say is my Ultraheat worked fine on gas as they are seperate systems. My green light came on, made all the usual clicks but no heat, however if i turned it off from the mains and left if for say 20 mins, turned it back on, every now and again it would produce heat for a short period, then cut out. Was advised to replace the sensor, ( replaced both to be sure) and fitted a new gasket, checked to make sure there were no leaks and heh presto, we got heat...........alot of it and far better than before.
However, it might just be worht speaking to Gary via pm and doing the checks he says first, as like said he know far more about it than me on this subject, but must add if you are taking the gas system apart to remove the sensors it would be worth paying someone to do it that has the correct equipment to test it afterwards.
Stuart

#11 SBS

SBS

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Was advised to replace the sensor, ( replaced both to be sure) and fitted a new gasket, checked to make sure there were no leaks and heh presto, we got heat...........alot of it and far better than before.

Stuart

Do you mean the overheat thermostats rather than sensors? There are two - a 125 degree and a 175. The 175 is a self-hold and needs the power to be turned off for 5-10 mins to cool down. This would explain it working for a short time.

The 125 sometimes disintegrates (twice on ours).

#12 paulthomas

paulthomas

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:44 AM

Many thanks folks for your helpful responses.Gary,I'll contact the guy you recommend.Would be very happy to have one of your uprated boards on the basis of recommendations on this site.

#13 spannaz

spannaz

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

Stuart

Do you mean the overheat thermostats rather than sensors? There are two - a 125 degree and a 175. The 175 is a self-hold and needs the power to be turned off for 5-10 mins to cool down. This would explain it working for a short time.

The 125 sometimes disintegrates (twice on ours).

I believe they are the ones, 2 little silver ones located below the element, about the size of a 5 pence piece. ( http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item53e014bc4a )
One had totally fallen apart, suprised it never caused a short TBH.
Stuart

Edited by spannaz, 08 May 2010 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users