87 replies to this topic

#1 baron

baron

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

Travelling overnight to our Easter break, my wife and I stopped at Leigh Delamere services on the M4. Today we received a "Parking Charge Notice" from CP Plus Parking Ltd charging us 80 for staying more than 2 hours.

Normally I'd just admit it was a fair cop and pay up (we were there for almost 3 hours), but a friend of ours says that it's not an official parking ticket, so we don't have to pay it. In his words a Penalty Charge Notice is a "real" ticket and a Parking Charge Notice is a "fake" ticket.

Is this true? Does anyone have experience of this?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

#2 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,825 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Travelling overnight to our Easter break, my wife and I stopped at Leigh Delamere services on the M4. Today we received a "Parking Charge Notice" from CP Plus Parking Ltd charging us 80 for staying more than 2 hours.

Normally I'd just admit it was a fair cop and pay up (we were there for almost 3 hours), but a friend of ours says that it's not an official parking ticket, so we don't have to pay it. In his words a Penalty Charge Notice is a "real" ticket and a Parking Charge Notice is a "fake" ticket.

Motorway service areas have many large notices explaining the parking arrangements including the costs. It will be claimed that you had read these notices and, therefore, entered into a contract. Enforcement may be carried out by ANPR cameras logging your arrival and departure times or attendants. You dispute at your risk of visits from Debt collrection agents. You could claim you are the registered keeper but not the driver at the time. You have no legal obligation to give the another driver's details.

#3 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:05 PM

Check out the PePiPoo website.

My understanding is that it's a civil contract which means you're not obliged to tell them who was driving, unlike criminal offences - the registered owner can't be forced to pay so any civil action would fail.

#4 BadbackCol

BadbackCol

CT Ninja

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:All Motor Sports, History of WW2, Caravans,Dogs and my Family's health and well-being.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

Hi Baron.

Let's establish the ground rules first.

This is not a ticket, it is an unenforceable invoice.
DO NOT contact these scammers under any circumstances otherwise you will be a another fish on the hook.

Private Parking Co's(PPC's)have no legal authority to issue 'Penalties' and/or 'Fines', these can only be issued by the Police and local councils.

You will probably receive scary looking letters that say "County Court/Bailiffs/Debt". Ignore them and put them in a drawer somewhere.Preceding these words you will see written-"Might/Could/May".

You Might buy a lottery ticket.You Could win 5 million. You May be lucky.

Hold your nerve and ignore them.

BTW. Ignore any rubbish from them.

And read this: http://forums.pepipo...showtopic=46975

Regards.
Col.

#5 fleetgold

fleetgold

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Dog showing

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

Motorway service stations are regulated by the government and are obliged by law to provide certain facilities which include free parking for 2 hours. After that they are allowed, by law, to charge for parking. This is different to the other carparks which charge so I would be careful before refusing to pay.

#6 RichardM

RichardM

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

As already said, it is a SCAM. Do NOT pay them and do NOT reply to them.

You will receive a number of letters, all threatening more than the one before. Bin them, and carry on with your life. They will give up.

#7 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

Interesting! you obviously received this notice in the post after you returned home, if so, how did they know where you lived in order to have sent this notice to you? I can only presume from the registration number of your vehicle. Therefore as you do not have your address written all over your vehicle it must have been obtained from either the DVLA or Police. Under the Data Protection Act information regarding everyone cannot be disclosed willy nilly without full justification therefore I have my doubt's as to this being a fake notice, however it may be worth persuing via the Police. Often notices state that if paid within two weeks or a specified time then the amount is vastly reduced. I certainly would keep an open mind but for peace of mind I would check this out with the Police to be 100% sure. Perhaps there is something that I don't know, I'm all ear's.

#8 RubyRanger

RubyRanger

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I once received a 40 parking fine for over-staying the 2/3 hours allocated parking in a certain part of a local shopping centre (Europe's largest I hasten to add) this was a stuck on the windscreen type but I know other places use anpr to fine people if they over-stay. (I also got a good telling off from my husband about trying to see the errors of my shop-aholic ways). Anyway, I would suggest that you possibly take the fine up with the service station, after all you incurred the fine whilst using their service & giving them your business, worth a shot if you were using the facilities for the full time you were parked up.
Let us know what the outcome is whatever you choose to do, will be interesting for future reference.

#9 BadbackCol

BadbackCol

CT Ninja

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:All Motor Sports, History of WW2, Caravans,Dogs and my Family's health and well-being.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Motorway service stations are regulated by the government and are obliged by law to provide certain facilities which include free parking for 2 hours. After that they are allowed, by law, to charge for parking. This is different to the other carparks which charge so I would be careful before refusing to pay.

You are plain wrong.
Please paste and copy this "law" that says Service Areas can charge for parking.

It would be helpful if you did not post erroneous statememts about "being careful before refusing to pay."

If you want to challenge me on this I will post the correct legislation that shows how PPC's break the law.

Regards.
Col

PS. Read the link I gave.

Edited by BadbackCol, 17 April 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#10 iSpy

iSpy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Our local B&Q and McDonalds have this CCTV system. You can only park for a period and not return for a long period.

Local guy got a 'ticket' at McDonalds for going for breakfast and again for Lunch.

Stealth Tax.

Edited by iSpy, 17 April 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#11 RubyRanger

RubyRanger

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Our local B&Q and McDonalds have this system. You can only park for a period and not return for a long period.
Local guy got a 'ticket' at McDonalds for going for breakfast and again for Lunch.
Stealth Tax.

Anyone who goes to McDonalds twice in one day deserves to be fined!!

#12 fleetgold

fleetgold

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Dog showing

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

If you read this guidance from the Department of Transport you might find that I am not as uninformed as you think I am.

http://www.dft.gov.u...itiespolicy.pdf

I had already read your link but I think that MSAs are outside the scope of the article you quote.

This link is also interesting
http://www.honestjoh...dex.htm?t=60883

Edited by fleetgold, 17 April 2010 - 03:08 PM.

#13 iSpy

iSpy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

[quote name='RubyRanger' date='17 April 2010 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1271516225' post='359863']
[quote name='iSpy' date='17 April 2010 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1271515964' post='359862']
Our local B&Q and McDonalds have this system. You can only park for a period and not return for a long period.
Stealth Tax.

Anyone who goes to McDonalds twice in one day deserves to be fined!!
[/quote]

..... he was at B&Q waiting for a till to open, between times ...... LOL

#14 bigbilly

bigbilly

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Photography, Motor Sports, Caravanning

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:20 PM

Interesting! you obviously received this notice in the post after you returned home, if so, how did they know where you lived in order to have sent this notice to you? I can only presume from the registration number of your vehicle. Therefore as you do not have your address written all over your vehicle it must have been obtained from either the DVLA or Police. Under the Data Protection Act information regarding everyone cannot be disclosed willy nilly without full justification therefore I have my doubt's as to this being a fake notice, however it may be worth persuing via the Police. Often notices state that if paid within two weeks or a specified time then the amount is vastly reduced. I certainly would keep an open mind but for peace of mind I would check this out with the Police to be 100% sure. Perhaps there is something that I don't know, I'm all ear's.

My understanding is that the DVLA can legitimately sell your address details to any bona fida organization and a parking enforcement company is considered bona fida.

It was covered on BBC's 'Watchdog' program and when some people got quite annoyed about this it was explained that it is covered in the small print when you register any vehicle.

Evidently the DVLA make quite a large income from this. I seem to remember that they charge 25 a time.

Bill

#15 discoverydriver

discoverydriver

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

My understanding is that the DVLA can legitimately sell your address details to any bona fida organization and a parking enforcement company is considered bona fida.

It was covered on BBC's 'Watchdog' program and when some people got quite annoyed about this it was explained that it is covered in the small print when you register any vehicle.

Evidently the DVLA make quite a large income from this. I seem to remember that they charge 25 a time.

Bill

It's worse than that, you don't even need to be a legitimate organisation, individuals have access too if they come up with a reasonable excuse for needing the info. The DVLA are well known for selling details far too easily.

#16 iSpy

iSpy

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

It's worse than that, you don't even need to be a legitimate organisation, individuals have access too if they come up with a reasonable excuse for needing the info. The DVLA are well known for selling details far too easily.

If only we had all voted for Screaming Lord Such in the 60's we wouldn't have any of this .............. we only have our selves to blame

Tee Hee

#17 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

Bill

Bill, I did mention "without full justification" but I did not realise just how relaxed the DVLA seem to be according to "posts"
Regards'

#18 oldboy

oldboy

Just like that

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Hill walking, Kayaking of which I am an instructor

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

Just don't pay it. read this:

http://www.moneysavi...parking-tickets

#19 nelmo

nelmo

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes, gadgets, retiring as early as possible.

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Basically, if you get a ticket from a private company (NCP etc), you can ignore them. They are legitimate tickets but the companies would have to take you to court to get their cash and it just isn't cost-effective for them. They rely on people being scared into paying up, which is why you will get those threatening letters - just ignore them.

It's the ones from councils you can't ignore because they will happily chase you through the courts until Judgement Day - after all, it's our tax money they're using to do it with and they don't have shareholders to keep happy... :angry:

#20 BadbackCol

BadbackCol

CT Ninja

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

If you read this guidance from the Department of Transport you might find that I am not as uninformed as you think I am.

http://www.dft.gov.u...itiespolicy.pdf

I had already read your link but I think that MSAs are outside the scope of the article you quote.

This link is also interesting
http://www.honestjoh...dex.htm?t=60883

Read the first link. Nothing at all about scammers giving out unenforceable invoices.

The 'Honest John' link does not provide a definite answer,posters ask questions and guess the answers.

MSA's are not outside the scope of illegality.

You need to understand that PPC's do not do court. Their business model fails at the first hurdle.
For example: Excel Parking have instituted court proceedings at least twice and ended up being severely spanked.

If you ask me I will post verse and chapter to explain why you are wrong and why PPC's ignore the BPA Code of Conduct,
The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR), Company Law and in a lot of cases laws relating to HMRC.

Contract Law comes into this. All tickets MUST show Co.Name/Full address-not a box number/Contact phone number/Company Reg.number/VAT number and the operators SIA number,it is not unknown for scammers to copy and paste another company's details onto their paperwork.

There is no law that encourages or gives credence to PPC's to issue tickets to motorists. End of.

Regards.
Col

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users