Photo

Best Quality, Lightweight, Easy To Erect Porch Awning.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 G-a-r-y

G-a-r-y

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:48 AM

We have the Suncamp Ultima 3 section model. It leaks across the top when it rains, doesn't like the wind and the plastic windows have gone all misty (they clear up after a few days in the sun?). Also it's very heavy.
I thought I'd treat myself to a new lightweight quality porch type awning. Is there anything new on the market, something slightly better quality?
Just large enough to store a couple of bikes in and perhaps an early morning cup of tea whilst she sleeps in?

#2 NippyNeil

NippyNeil

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

Our porch awning is a Kampa Fiesta. It is a decent size - large enough to have the table in without being squashed. It does have the added advantages of being able to zip in an annexe for extra storage or sleeping. Unlike many of the ones we looked at it is the same height from front to back so you dont have reduced headroom, the fall is at the sides. I am 6' tall and can walk around it with no problem. We have never had water pooling on the roof like we have with different models

#3 nigel129

nigel129

nigel129

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

We have the Suncamp Ultima 3 section model. It leaks across the top when it rains, doesn't like the wind and the plastic windows have gone all misty (they clear up after a few days in the sun?). Also it's very heavy.
I thought I'd treat myself to a new lightweight quality porch type awning. Is there anything new on the market, something slightly better quality?
Just large enough to store a couple of bikes in and perhaps an early morning cup of tea whilst she sleeps in?

I agree completely with your comments on the Ultima, ours went on the black receiving pockets for the poles,also at the pegging points. I have heard good reports on the Winsor Royal http://www.campervan...ing-p-1108.html but some say dont leave it in the bag to travel as it collects water.
The other i was looking at is the Kampa Rally, http://outdoorsrus.c...wning-2010.html, good reports but i think none of these lightweight awnings are much good for our climate, unless were lucky enough to get a good summer.
Pyramid http://www.pyramid-p...ochure-2009.pdf (from page 22) released their new "pop" awning last season after withdrawing the first edition, the video of the old one was impressive but they withdrew it for some reason. Haven't read any reports on the 09 version yet.
nigel

Edited by nigel129, 06 March 2010 - 09:15 AM.

#4 G-a-r-y

G-a-r-y

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

Our porch awning is a Kampa Fiesta. It is a decent size - large enough to have the table in without being squashed. It does have the added advantages of being able to zip in an annexe for extra storage or sleeping. Unlike many of the ones we looked at it is the same height from front to back so you dont have reduced headroom, the fall is at the sides. I am 6' tall and can walk around it with no problem. We have never had water pooling on the roof like we have with different models

Thanks, I think I've found your awning on google and it's the same design as what I am looking at. They look identical in spec?

http://www.bowenawni...p/sprinter.html

How much did you pay? and how easy is it to put up?

#5 nigel129

nigel129

nigel129

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

1theres a video of the pyramid at the bottom of this ebay add, but id like to be sure thats its not the older version, so for INFO ONLY http://cgi.ebay.co.u...106199001r16785

nigel

#6 nigel129

nigel129

nigel129

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, I think I've found your awning on google and it's the same design as what I am looking at. They look identical in spec?

Hmmmm that curved front just doesnt sit right with me, just a personal observation.
nigel

#7 NippyNeil

NippyNeil

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hi, the poles are steel and clot together ok. One of the connecting springs has broken but it doesnt casue any problems. I put the awning up and down myself without any difficulty and it takes about 20 mins - there are a lot of pegging points that you can use. I bought the optional poles that are used in the awning sleeves next to the van - they help keep the padded sleeve tighter to the van side and so less draught gets in. We have had 4 adults and 4 kids sitting in it in an evening - the curved front design might not be to everybody's taste but it does give more room inside.

We have tried a number of different porch awnings and they have all had issues - leaking, manufacturing faults etc - this one has been the best and I would buy it again. I think from memory I paid about £250 for it. More than I had initially intended but it is big enough to be used and quicker/lighter than a standard awning

#8 fleetgold

fleetgold

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Dog showing

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

I had the Windsor Royal 390 and absolutely hated it. I took great pleasure in throwing it into a skip at the end of the first season of using it. Prior to that I had an Outdoor Revolution which I thought was excellent and should never have replaced with the Windsor Royal.

#9 nigel129

nigel129

nigel129

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

I had the Windsor Royal 390 and absolutely hated it. I took great pleasure in throwing it into a skip at the end of the first season of using it. Prior to that I had an Outdoor Revolution which I thought was excellent and should never have replaced with the Windsor Royal.

Hi, any chance you could be more specific with its faults, as it would be/was one of my options as a replacement for my Ultima
Thanks
nigel

#10 fleetgold

fleetgold

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Dog showing

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hi, any chance you could be more specific with its faults, as it would be/was one of my options as a replacement for my Ultima
Thanks
nigel

It allowed water down the back next to the caravan, very easily collected water in the top and I quickly found several holes in it. If I was going for another of that style I would go for one that had poles down the back against the caravan to prevent the gaps.

#11 darrell

darrell

Four Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, walking, anything French

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Visited Caravan Show few weeks ago and ordered Kampa Rally 260 from Outdoor Camping. Having been looking for months and thought although not cheap seems frankly to be leaps and bounds better than anything else. Seems strong and good useful floor size, mine is on it's way to us now, expect Thursday, have orderred 2010 model with storm straps, extra poles to the side of the caravan and monsoon poles to keep the roof extra rigid during rain.
Time will tell and will keep posted once we've had the chance to erect it.

#12 chickenwrangler

chickenwrangler

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

We've got a Towsure Portico porch. They seem to be generally despised. ?Too cheap? It is only to store walking boots, rubbish, damp dog etc and is fit for this purpose. It was one of the few awnings still standing after an overnight storm last October so we smugly watched others clearing up their expensive debris. Some of these more expensive ones are so large you may as well use a normal awning.

#13 RPM

RPM

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

weve got an Outdoor Revolution Porchlite XL. Found it ok but for the rain which can collect on the top part of the roof if it rains heavy. This design style is flawed because even under perfect pitching conditions there is some slack in the roof. This has occured twice now and colapsed the awning once because of the weight of water. So bought a diiferent style at the NEC show recently still Outdoor Revolution but Compactalite 200. It looks solid and roof run off looks better. Its is not in stock yet so looking forward to receipt in April.

#14 spideygirl

spideygirl

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

We ordered a kampa rally 260 at the NEC as well. It was a great price and like the other poster said they seem so much stronger than the others. It was a special offer and go the upright poles, storm strap and monsoon poles thrown in for £229.

We tried it out last weekend, easy and quick to put up. Very sturdy and was roomy for a porche awning. We are very happy with it. It isn't big enough for the four of us to sit in chairs etc, but ideal for a quick weekend away.

#15 beemap

beemap

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

Have a look at Argos. They do a Lichfield for less than £100 and i cant fault it if all you want is somwhere to store boots etc and ocasionaly sit in to eat. it is light and yet sturdy and goes up a dream. it

#16 JulieG570

JulieG570

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

We bought the Kampa Fiesta awning for our Abbey Vogue GTS caravan last season and were delighted with it. It was easy to erect first time, and took about half an hour. We left it up during 12 weeks of the season because our caravan was static during the summer months. It kept it's shape and was in good condition through wind and rain and very hot sunshine, and was easy to dismantle at the end of the summer. There is enough room for a table, chairs and 6 people to sit, eat and move about, but we wished that we had bought the annex for extra storage. I particularly liked the flexibility of the side panels which zip on and off easily. Itís great, and I canít wait to be sitting in it again this season!

#17 NippyNeil

NippyNeil

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

I cant agree more Julie. Not only that but the shape is different to the norm and it works very effectively. I did buy an annexe and found it very useful - we have the table 1/2 in it and that frees up even more space in the main awning, AI have now bought a 2nd annexe. Best porch awning we have had.

#18 FredFenster

FredFenster

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Bought a Kampa Rally 390 last week and just had the first outing with it this weekend.

All good, feels study and plenty of room.

2010 version seems to have a RRP of £300 (although you can find it cheaper). We picked up a 2009 version (couldn't tell you what the difference is) for £199 from here http://www.campingan.../info_8325.html which seems like a bargain to me...

No connection to the company by the way.

#19 kiz

kiz

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

We bought the Kampa Fiesta awning for our Abbey Vogue GTS caravan last season and were delighted with it. It was easy to erect first time, and took about half an hour. We left it up during 12 weeks of the season because our caravan was static during the summer months. It kept it's shape and was in good condition through wind and rain and very hot sunshine, and was easy to dismantle at the end of the summer. There is enough room for a table, chairs and 6 people to sit, eat and move about, but we wished that we had bought the annex for extra storage. I particularly liked the flexibility of the side panels which zip on and off easily. It's great, and I can't wait to be sitting in it again this season!

Hi there - do you think I could I put a Kampa Fiest up by myself, Julie ? Or is there another lightweight awning that someone would recommend for a lone caravanner?

#20 swanseajack

swanseajack

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hi there - do you think I could I put a Kampa Fiest up by myself, Julie ? Or is there another lightweight awning that someone would recommend for a lone caravanner?

Take a look at THIS

Its Identical to the Kampa fiesta, also £110 cheaper.

This is the awning that Gary posted. I'm getting one tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users