13 replies to this topic

#1 Motto

Motto

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

My Swift Charisma 530 has just had its first service and has damp readings of 17-22. Our old caravan never had a reading above 11.

The service centre want us to take it back in 12 weeks to have it rechecked.

Is this usual?

Should I worry?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

#2 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:21 PM

My information says that meter readings up to 14 or 15 are perfectly acceptable and normal, but that anything higher, particularly in the range that yours are, is an indication that some moisture is getting in. Levels up to 22% would indicate a problem but as long as it stays at that level no lasting damge would entail, levels between 22 and 30 would indicate that if the problem is not sorted quickly that serious lasting damage is likely and that with levels above 30% that serious lasting damage has probably already been caused.

#3 Paul11

Paul11

Three Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, caravan servicing and repair, amateur radio, fishing, property maintenance, boat building

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

Your service centre are quite correct in asking to do a retest in about 3 months. As you haven't said where the high readings were, I would imagine they expect that some re sealing may be required to a seam or joint in the external framework, should a retest prove positive. The re -sealing should only be done where the ambient temp is higher than 10 deg C. Also the original test, if done in a nice warm workshop at this time of the year, may have induced some condensation when the van was brought in from the cold. I wouldn't loose any sleep at this time, see what the next test shows.

Paul

#4 paulw1

paulw1

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning,DIY,Gardening and Homebrewing,
  • Towcar:Discovery2
  • Caravan:Lunar Delta Ti

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

[quote name='Motto' date='11 February 2010 - 09:11 PM' timestamp='1265922690' post='336767']
My Swift Charisma 530 has just had its first service and has damp readings of 17-22. Our old caravan never had a reading above 11.

The service centre want us to take it back in 12 weeks to have it rechecked.

Is this usual?

Should I worry?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

We had the same problem with our previous Compass.It was put down to service and check in the winter! We were asked to take it back in twelve weeks too. The Lunar we have now is only a year old, just had first service and damp check, it has come up with a small reading in 4 places, but have been advised it is nothing serious and to monitor regularly.Guy I used also suggested I sent a copy of the damp readings to the dealer and Lunar as a way of info, in case of a future claim.that way they can't say they wasn't warned!!

#5 susa

susa

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

"Readings between 20-24% possible early signs of water ingress, look for tangible evidence and ask for a re-check."

You say this is the first service, so I'm guessing that its still very much under warranty. That being so, I would be insisting on a thorough check to determine where this moisture is coming from.
Had our van serviced before Christmas, and the readings were zero, but then its a Hymer, albeit a 7 year old one.

#6 paulw1

paulw1

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning,DIY,Gardening and Homebrewing,
  • Towcar:Discovery2
  • Caravan:Lunar Delta Ti

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

[quote name='susa' date='12 February 2010 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1265970599' post='336872']
"Readings between 20-24% possible early signs of water ingress, look for tangible evidence and ask for a re-check."

You say this is the first service, so I'm guessing that its still very much under warranty. That being so, I would be insisting on a thorough check to determine where this moisture is coming from.
Had our van serviced before Christmas, and the readings were zero, but then its a Hymer, albeit a 7 year old one.

Good point I may just do that.Not too keen taking it back to Preston from surrey just for a damp check. the mobile Mech did say it might be condensation from the two plastic bags in wardrobes, but the front window will need to be watched carefully.

#7 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

If they said the readings were zero I would be very suspicious, even wood that has been indoors in a warm place for 40 years ( in the boiler cupboard in the kitchen ) should be expected to have a moisture content of about 9 or 10 percent, wood without moisture content is dust. Lowdhams did a damp test on my 7 year old Hymer a couple of weeks ago and gave a reading of 10% all the way round. I retested it when I got it home and got the same figures.

#8 Motto

Motto

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

Your service centre are quite correct in asking to do a retest in about 3 months. As you haven't said where the high readings were, I would imagine they expect that some re sealing may be required to a seam or joint in the external framework, should a retest prove positive. The re -sealing should only be done where the ambient temp is higher than 10 deg C. Also the original test, if done in a nice warm workshop at this time of the year, may have induced some condensation when the van was brought in from the cold. I wouldn't loose any sleep at this time, see what the next test shows.

Paul

We have not got the van back yet, so havent got the diagram with all the readings on it. They phoned the wife to let her know and said the readings at the front were high between 17 & 22.

We will collect it on Wednesday and will probably have abetter idea then. The van is 1yr old now.

Thanks

#9 CommanderDave

CommanderDave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts
  • Interests:Model Eng, Jetski, DIY, Caravan, Traction Engines

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

My service agent says only worry if its over 15% . But a reading of 17&22 % can vary where it is as you might get a higher reading in a bathroom area due to more moisture being used in that area with showering . Wait till you see the diagram with the readings .

Dave

#10 susa

susa

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

If they said the readings were zero I would be very suspicious, even wood that has been indoors in a warm place for 40 years ( in the boiler cupboard in the kitchen ) should be expected to have a moisture content of about 9 or 10 percent, wood without moisture content is dust. Lowdhams did a damp test on my 7 year old Hymer a couple of weeks ago and gave a reading of 10% all the way round. I retested it when I got it home and got the same figures.

5% to 30% on the hard wood scale equates to 0 to 100 on the comparative scale for GRP and other materials.

Damp testing meters for caravans use a smooth contact head to measure electrical capacitance. Dampness readings in wood usually covers a scale from 0 - 40% maximum (average softwoods are saturated at 28% - 32%) and damp readings in masonry (brick, stone, plaster, concrete) usually range from 0 - 5% maximum.

Ergo, its perfectly normal for a Hymer to have a damp reading of zero.

#11 discoverydriver

discoverydriver

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

5% to 30% on the hard wood scale equates to 0 to 100 on the comparative scale for GRP and other materials.

Damp testing meters for caravans use a smooth contact head to measure electrical capacitance. Dampness readings in wood usually covers a scale from 0 - 40% maximum (average softwoods are saturated at 28% - 32%) and damp readings in masonry (brick, stone, plaster, concrete) usually range from 0 - 5% maximum.

Ergo, its perfectly normal for a Hymer to have a damp reading of zero.

So that means it is 5% moisture then if comparing ?

#12 ubuntu1

ubuntu1

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

I service caravans and a reading like this would require monitoring. Its very damp at the moment due to the weather and I wouldn't be too worried at this stage. I would be recommending a retest in 3 months.

Don't panic but make sure that you retest in 3 months.

#13 micktheshed

micktheshed

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning & Enjoying Retirement

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:23 PM

When you get readings of 30% to 90% in several widely spaced places (as I have in my 13 month old Elddis) Then its time to panick!!!!!!
I'm awaiting a major re-build, & then the fun will start.

#14 foodwalla

foodwalla

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:cooking( Army chef) fixing most things myself DIY also with the cheshire caravan club

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

I had a reading of 25/30% at my first service last may and they said I would need a new panel, so had van in last week and they fixed the black damp mark by wiping with a damp cloth and sealing the outside awning rail. And they will do me another damp test when I go back for some other jobs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users