16 replies to this topic

#1 FredFenster

FredFenster

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

Caravans, storage and south east London are subjects that I've found don't go together particularly well... Everywhere round here seems to be either full with a closed waiting list or so expensive they require the sale of a kidney to even get a look in.

Our van is stored getting on for 50 miles away in Essex which wouldn't be so bad were the Dartford tunnel/bridge not in the way.

I've seen a mention of Kent Caravan Storage in Farningham mentioned in our local adverts page, however I can find no mention of it anywhere else on the internet. At all. Anywhere. This suggests it either doesn't exist, isn't in need of the business or is a short track to a disappearing caravan... So has anybody ever heard of it before or have the van stored there?

Alternatively does anyone know of any vacancies in western/NW kent that don't require any organs to be put on ebay?

#2 TedNewman

TedNewman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

Fred

Been through this myself - ended up at Abbey Wood CC - not cheap but very secure and very convenient for us. HOWEVER if you do find somewhere that is secure and does not cost an arm and a leg I should be very happy to hear about it.

Sorry I am not much helpPosted Image

#3 kilree

kilree

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Photography (you're welcome to look at my Flickr page), some fishing from a while back, computers, reading, Films.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:53 PM

Alternatively does anyone know of any vacancies in western/NW kent that don't require any organs to be put on ebay?

As a matter of interest and as somebody who is in the happy position of being able to keep the van at the back of the house I'm just curious to know the kind of charges applicable for caravan storage in the UK.

#4 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

Caravans, storage and south east London are subjects that I've found don't go together particularly well... Everywhere round here seems to be either full with a closed waiting list or so expensive they require the sale of a kidney to even get a look in.

Our van is stored getting on for 50 miles away in Essex which wouldn't be so bad were the Dartford tunnel/bridge not in the way.

I've seen a mention of Kent Caravan Storage in Farningham mentioned in our local adverts page, however I can find no mention of it anywhere else on the internet. At all. Anywhere. This suggests it either doesn't exist, isn't in need of the business or is a short track to a disappearing caravan... So has anybody ever heard of it before or have the van stored there?

Fred,

The site to which you refer is called, 'To the Woods' Tel: 01322 863751. I personally would never store my 'van there!. Whereabouts are you roughly in N/W Kent?, I might be able to help. Rob.

#5 FredFenster

FredFenster

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

We pay £400 per year in Essex for 24 hour access with all the security you'd need short of an 8ft troll sitting on top of the van...

#6 Oldsalt

Oldsalt

Two Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Walking, Photography, Motor Racing (F1), Caravanning.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hi FredFenster

I know of a storage site at Orpington, Kent, I don't know if this is an area that suits you, the web address is below. It has the Caravan Storage Site Owners Association Gold Award for security, so should be quite good. I don't know if they have vacancies.

http://www.cassoa.co...x?sku=STOS1004#

#7 FredFenster

FredFenster

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Oldsalt. I know of the Orpington site and it would be ideal were it not so expensive.

Robin, we live in Welling, not to far from the Dartford tunnel.

#8 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Thanks Oldsalt. I know of the Orpington site and it would be ideal were it not so expensive.

Fred, There is a storage site at East Malling, we are very pleased with it. If this would be more convenient to you then let me know and I'll give you full details. (Fee's are going up next April to £300, pay in advance.) Rob.

#9 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

This storage site is run and owned by a retired copper. Nice chap, there is only one way in and out via very secure gate’s. There is plenty of room and is well kept. Access is from sunrise to sunset or thereabouts, Peter gives a key to the padlock but if you want to get out early or get back late then all he requires is a telephone call and he will oblige, no problem. At night he puts an extra padlock on.
I would not recommend approaching from the A20 direction but Peter would advise you from the other direction very easy and no hassle.
It is certainly worth a visit and for you to make up your own mind, let me know how you get on. You can mention that Robin passed on details if you want; I have an Abbey GTS Vogue 217.

South Lodge Farm
East Malling
01622 - 812297 / 654377
Peter's mobile 07986 56507

#10 FredFenster

FredFenster

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

That's great, thanks Robin.

I'll give him a call tomorrow.

#11 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

That's great, thanks Robin.

I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Your welcome, hope all goes well.

#12 tomtom

tomtom

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:sport,cooking,caravanning

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

#13 tomtom

tomtom

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

hello fredfenster,i might be able to help you with your storage problem,if you can give me a phone number i will call you

#14 lucky13

lucky13

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

hello fredfenster,i might be able to help you with your storage problem,if you can give me a phone number i will call you

Hi I too am having trouble finding storage in or near South London at the moment we are in storage in Staplehurst 45mls from home. Can you recommend anywhere?

#15 tomtom

tomtom

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi I too am having trouble finding storage in or near South London at the moment we are in storage in Staplehurst 45mls from home. Can you recommend anywhere?

hi lucky 13,i can help you but the lady who owns the site insists i am descreet about it so would have to make contact with you by other means.

#16 djdizzie

djdizzie

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

I too live in South East London and for the past 4/5 years have been storing my van at a v.secure storage pound at Otterburn Quay near Upchurch, quite convienent for the M2/M20. Not sure if there is a waiting list or not. Good rates.

Let me know I can give you details.

Jim.

#17 Guest_Robin_*

Guest_Robin_*

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

hi lucky 13,i can help you but the lady who owns the site insists i am descreet about it so would have to make contact with you by other means.

I don't wish to put the dampers on this but I would strongly think twice!!!! it sounds very fishy to me. I am given to understand that 5 or more caravans needs planning permission from the local authority to store them. If any damage occurs or if it is broken into and the insurance company finds out that your caravan is stored somewhere witout planning permission I would not like to have to answer to them and wonder exactly where I would stand because if the storage has no official planning permission then caravans should not be there and if that is the case then it could not have been damaged or broken into if it wasn't there. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users