Treg

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Mountain Biking
    MTQ

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

Thinking about preparing the caravan for winter weather, I came across a product in a caravan accessory shop sold as antifreeze for caravan water systems.

The product is a “non toxic and non taste” antifreeze that should be mixed with water (in the Aquaroll) and then pumped into the caravan water system ( including the heater) and the system left full all winter. (Drained and flushed before first use, of course !)

This could overcome problems where water is trapped in the system by a normal drain, freezes and causes damage, but I’m not sure I like the idea of antifreeze in the water pipes and the affect that it could have on the components and pipes.

Does anyone have any experience of using such a product ?

Treg

#2 Fleng

Fleng

Three Star

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

No experience and no plans to find out. I'm sure it's safe but it just doesn't sound right to leave anything like this in the system for such a long time

#3 shipbroker

shipbroker

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:26 AM

I would be doubtful about using this myself...especially as you can drain down almost 100% these days...certainly can on my Swift,

rgds
geoff

#4 SamD

SamD

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • Towcar:BMW 530d GT
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Madrid

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

This could overcome problems where water is trapped in the system by a normal drain, freezes and causes damage

Not arguing but are there any places where trapped water would NOT have any room to expand and therefore no damage?

#5 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

Properly draining the water system including removing filters if fitted and leaving all taps open (in midway hot/cold for single lever mixers) has worked well enough for most people for a long time - why introduce a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

The only time I ever had a problem was the first winter with this van which has a single lever mixer in the kitchen - not knowing the importance, I left the tap open in the cold position and the drops of water in the hot part of the tap cracked the housing - lesson learned.

#6 shipbroker

shipbroker

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

I left the tap open in the cold position and the drops of water in the hot part of the tap cracked the housing - lesson learned.

Been there done that too...which is why I take extra care now!

geoff

#7 TizzyLizzy

TizzyLizzy

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning.

Posted 03 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

Were away most of the winter with the van, so could'nt run anti freeze through the whole the system, spoke to the dealer about it when we collected our winter fridge vents, he recommends only using the anti freeze in the waste master if we dont fancy emptying it last thing at night.

#8 IanV8

IanV8

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

One area that is liable to freeze is the shower hose because it does not drain fully, best to undo the tap end and empty the hose.

Ian

#9 Rickardo

Rickardo

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

Would'nt use any anti-freeze product

The again nor would I drink water from the caravan tap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users