#1 colorde

colorde

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Sailing( floating caravans), Fishing, and now caravaning

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hello Im totally new to caravaning and im off to view a Abbey Stafford 5 birth. Are These vans any good. Iv been told to look out for damp, so iv bought a metre.

#2 oddjob

oddjob

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:just enjoying live to the full anything legal going away as much as we can

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hi welcome to the forum be very careful you say you have bought a damp meter the diy type are not very accurate the ones the dealers use are of professional quality not cheap to buy if you go and look at it the first thing you should be asking as it been serviced annually if it as thats a good start have a good look at the tyres for any signs of cracking round the tyre walls caravan tyres should be changed regardless every 5 years some say you can use them for 7 years? the reason being they stay in one position for long periods I rotate my wheels a 1/4 of a turn each month when I layup the caravan for the winter months the most likely places for damp to start are all around the windows' door' roof lights' all the seams around the awning rail 'check the floor for any signs of sponginess if you find movement in the floor that is a sign of the plywood is separated this is a sure sign of damp it can be repaird not that cheap 'check all the appliance work ' have a good look in the toilet apartment if it has been used for showering you can normally tell when you first go into a caravan if you have a musty smell I would walk away lift up the seating look on the underside to see if any signs of staining sure sign it as been well used this is normally a sign when used in the warmer wheather this is where people have sweated find out why he is selling privately if he was buying a new caravan he would have p/x with the dealer? dont buy the first caravan you see have a good look around there are plenty of used ones out there to be bought I always buy from a dealer you will pay extra but I think it is worth paying a bit extra knowing that the caravan has been checked through and everything is working and should get a guarantee with it that is pease of mind in itself you can buy used caravans from the dealer who will state sold as seen no warranty hope you will find this of some help to you Tony

#3 colorde

colorde

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

Hello Tony, thanks for the advice. I had no idea of the pit falls in buying a caravan. Its worse than buying a used car. Im off to look at the abbey shortly but I think I will take on board what you said about not buying the first thing i see. Colin.

#4 oddjob

oddjob

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:just enjoying live to the full anything legal going away as much as we can

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

Hi again Colin what year is the caravan ? have you any caravan dealers near where you live it would be a good idea if you take a good look around that way you will get to see the various layouts what suits you best and you can see yourselfs comfortable in most good dealers today will let you walk around without bothering you unless you ask them for help the other thing you must make sure you have the right towcar to match the caravan the dealer again will do this for you good luck Tony

#5 colorde

colorde

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hello again Tony, I have just been to look at the 1996 Abbey Stafford and me and the Mrs love it. However, I found damp in 2 places under the rear side windows. The rear corner floor has about 1 ft square of rot. I have had yachts all my life so I think I could tackle the jobs without too much trouble, (easier said than done ), but the seller is not willing to negociate on his 3000 asking price. Your comments about not buying the first thing we see sounds like good advice. Thanks once again for your help.

#6 Anthony07

Anthony07

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hello Im totally new to caravaning and im off to view a Abbey Stafford 5 birth. Are These vans any good. Iv been told to look out for damp, so iv bought a metre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users