#1 twc

twc

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Walking, caravanning and Driving

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

Hi all, Has anyone had a problem with flies in the caravans? I have just been to our van which is in storage, the flies seem to come from behind
fridge area,all air vents are covered with mesh the only ones not are the fridge external vents (which I would think have mesh inside! ) Help needed. twc

#2 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

The flies in your van will have been born there. Eggs would be laid during the last few times you used your van. The life cycle of a house fly can be completed within a couple of weeks so it would only need a couple of flies to be locked in your van when you left it.

#3 twc

twc

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:39 PM

Thanks John, that's all I need have already used a tin of fly spray hope I've got all of them. twc

#4 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:16 PM

We use to have a fumigant that killed larvae in the greenhouse. Dont know if elf & safety still allow it. But we let this smoke bomb thing off in the closed greenhouse so the fumigant got to all the parts a spray wouldnt reach. Then after an hour open the door and vent - before going in!! All the nasties AND THEIR EGGS were dead. The point is that you may spray kill the adult after the eggs are laid only for the eggs to survive and start again. Just a thought.

#5 MrOmori

MrOmori

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Aberdeen Lynx, Family, Allotment, Caravaning

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:49 AM

It's a sulphur candle, you still get them (around 7 a tin) the only problem I can see is that as it turns my green house yellow when I burn one off there may be the slightest possibility that they are not suited for use inside a caravan, although extremely useful for killing off all manner of things in a greenhouse.

#6 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

It's a sulphur candle, you still get them (around 7 a tin) the only problem I can see is that as it turns my green house yellow when I burn one off there may be the slightest possibility that they are not suited for use inside a caravan, although extremely useful for killing off all manner of things in a greenhouse.

Ah that sounds to have been modified for 'elf' reasons. The one I had was grey smoke and was a witches brew of chemicals that you REALLY did need to vent before going in!

#7 rob2

rob2

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi all, Has anyone had a problem with flies in the caravans? I have just been to our van which is in storage, the flies seem to come from behind
fridge area,all air vents are covered with mesh the only ones not are the fridge external vents (which I would think have mesh inside! ) Help needed. twc

At this time of the year its probable that these are 'Cluster Flies'.
They are more a nuisance problem than a health problem. If you Google them, you will find most councils have a fact sheet on them.
They breed in the summer and come inside during the autumn to overwinter inside. They normally invade attic rooms and loft spaces but anywhere where they will be undisturbed is potentially a place they will invade. They send a 'scout' cluster fly ahead to find suitable locations and it leaves a 'pheromone' trail for the others to follow. One council suggested a solution of disinfectant wiped onto possible entry points would get rid of the pheromone trail. I have tried this with limited success in an attic room where cluster flies have appeared in the last couple of years.
A lot of pest control firms suggest smoke fumigants to eliminate the blighters. Get as much information as possible before choosing your elimination method. Good luck!
Rob2

#8 twc

twc

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

At this time of the year its probable that these are 'Cluster Flies'.
They are more a nuisance problem than a health problem. If you Google them, you will find most councils have a fact sheet on them.
They breed in the summer and come inside during the autumn to overwinter inside. They normally invade attic rooms and loft spaces but anywhere where they will be undisturbed is potentially a place they will invade. They send a 'scout' cluster fly ahead to find suitable locations and it leaves a 'pheromone' trail for the others to follow. One council suggested a solution of disinfectant wiped onto possible entry points would get rid of the pheromone trail. I have tried this with limited success in an attic room where cluster flies have appeared in the last couple of years.
A lot of pest control firms suggest smoke fumigants to eliminate the blighters. Get as much information as possible before choosing your elimination method. Good luck!
Rob2

#9 twc

twc

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Hi Rob2, Thankyou for that information I will look it up on google, some of the flies look a bit like horse type flies rather large.Will not beable to answer anymore mail for a week, off to Cirencester c/c , hope we don't get anymore flies while away. twc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users