Pyramid Waste Hog

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tephi_*

Guest_Tephi_*

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

I have just been reading the Oct Practical Caravan and noticed on page 109 the ‘waste water container product test’. Their ‘winner’ was the Pyramid Waste Hog and I own one of these. The one thing I find useful is that the level gauge can be screwed into either end which gives the choice of two waste pipe entry heights.

My problem is that the gauge failed after the first outing. Has anyone found a way of keeping one of these working or is it a case of looking down the hole [like checking the Thetford toilet cassette :blink: ] to see when it is getting full?

Steve

#2 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have one as well and personally think it is rubbish. The guage did not work so I wrote to Pyramid and they sent me another and you guessed it - That did not work either. Water always gets in behind the guage and only clears when the plastic lens falls off. Add to this that the blue shelf only fits behind one of the moulded lugs and I am far from impressed.

Will buy a Wastemaster for next season. Ironically, the Water Hog has been fine!!

Cheers

TONY

#3 joe09

joe09

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

I have just been reading the Oct Practical Caravan and noticed on page 109 the ‘waste water container product test’. Their ‘winner’ was the Pyramid Waste Hog and I own one of these. The one thing I find useful is that the level gauge can be screwed into either end which gives the choice of two waste pipe entry heights.

My problem is that the gauge failed after the first outing. Has anyone found a way of keeping one of these working or is it a case of looking down the hole [like checking the Thetford toilet cassette :blink: ] to see when it is getting full?

Steve

My gauge fallen to bits and the water leaks out of it :angry:

So for that the gauge goes on the top and the normal lid on the bottom. Can't say I ever use the gauge as I try to put the waste hog under the van for security reasons. Normally if I go through a 40l aqua roll I know I'm pretty close to filling up the waste water.

Or if its leaking over the side :P

Edited by joe09, 22 September 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#4 mandesk

mandesk

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Football, Caravans, computers..

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

I have just bought one of these, appears to be ok, the gauge is working too, but the wheels keep falling off. They are held on by Ball Bearings on a spring. Either I need to find a way to fix this or it is going back....

#5 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:48 PM

My gauge fallen to bits and the water leaks out of it :angry:

So for that the gauge goes on the top and the normal lid on the bottom. Can't say I ever use the gauge as I try to put the waste hog under the van for security reasons. Normally if I go through a 40l aqua roll I know I'm pretty close to filling up the waste water.

Or if its leaking over the side :P

Are there a lot of waste water containers stolen then? Full I can hardly move mine. Empty the entire site gets woken up hearing it rolling along.

#6 sean c

sean c

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

Broken gauge on the first outing "ditto". I dont know what the shelf is for but it cant hold a half full toilet cassette without it all crashing to the ground. However, it holds a lot of waste water and thats what I brought it for.

#7 joe09

joe09

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Are there a lot of waste water containers stolen then? Full I can hardly move mine. Empty the entire site gets woken up hearing it rolling along.

I guess I'm just paranoid :lol: (They are expensive? :P)

#8 ericfield

ericfield

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

I guess I'm just paranoid :lol: (They are expensive? :P)

There's always another one under the next door caravan - run a long hose across there after dark :rolleyes:

#9 JohnD

JohnD

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

I have used one of these for a couple of years and never had any problem with the carrier itself.
The main problem I find is that the high end of the waste hog is just too high for the waste oulets on my van ( Sterling Europa )without having the waste pipes going uphill. As the gauge only works when it is screwed into the low end and the waste pipes at the high end I have never used the gauge anyway. Or is this just me?

#10 harry.m1byt

harry.m1byt

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • Interests:Being cantankerous :-)

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

I've had mine around three years now. The gauge still works, it doesn't leak though the internals are rusting well, no problems with wheels, but the gauge idea is fairly pointless. I have had no trouble with the shelf, though I only rarely use it.

So as problems with its height go - I always carry plenty of drain hose, so that when I can discharge into a hedge bottom I have enough to reach there. When I can't do that and the Waste Hog will not fit under, I simply put the Waste Hog downhill of the outlet and run a longer hose to it. It will drain proving the hose end is lower than the outlet, even if the pipe runs along the ground to get there. My outlet it at the side, close to the rear end. Last week my caravans rear was six inches from the ground - I put the Waste Hog at the front and ran the pipe to it. Simples.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users