#1 Malc

Malc

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

A question for Bailey: -

The new Pegasus has its awning channel as an integral part of the Roof-Side extrusion. Will Isabella/Ventura awning Bracket Pads (and any other similar items for other awning makes) have to rest on the extrusion, or is the awning channel sufficiently near the lower edge of the extrusion to allow the pads to rest entirely on the caravan wall?

#2 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

As the awning rail goes all around the whole length -- and is part of the frame of the van -- I was also wondering if there will be any "entrance points" for the awning other than at ground level - both ends..

My current van has a spread section in the awning rail - at just below eye level at both ends of the van
-- which makes it much easier to put in say the Sun Canopy -- or Porch Awning
-- rather than the Full Awning -- or even wind break.

Not wanting to push all the canvas all the way around..the whole length of the van

Will there be a "spreader tool" available??

Maurice

#3 Cruzer

Cruzer

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and garden railways.

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

As the awning rail goes all around the whole length -- and is part of the frame of the van -- I was also wondering if there will be any "entrance points" for the awning other than at ground level - both ends..

My current van has a spread section in the awning rail - at just below eye level at both ends of the van
-- which makes it much easier to put in say the Sun Canopy -- or Porch Awning
-- rather than the Full Awning -- or even wind break.

Not wanting to push all the canvas all the way around..the whole length of the van

Will there be a "spreader tool" available??

My Bretagne only has entry points at ground level so it's not unknown nor the end of the world if the Pegasus doesn't.

As the channel is extruded plastic I doubt if a spreader will be available as this channel shouldn't crush when knocked like the aluminium ones do.

Also, looking again at the microsite photos, there is no awning channel on 'the other side', i.e. the non-door side.

#4 shazjag

shazjag

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

My Bretagne only has entry points at ground level so it's not unknown nor the end of the world if the Pegasus doesn't.

As the channel is extruded plastic I doubt if a spreader will be available as this channel shouldn't crush when knocked like the aluminium ones do.

Also, looking again at the microsite photos, there is no awning channel on 'the other side', i.e. the non-door side.

I had a look at a Pegasus on Saturday and could not see ANY entrance points on the awning gap at all!! unless the bottom end caps come off to allow the awning to be threaded into it?
I waited around for the sales team to have a spare minuet to ask them but got fed up of waiting? i looked front and rear and saw no gap at all!

#5 Malc

Malc

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:38 PM

Cruzer, according to the Bailey Brochure, the extrusion is aluminium not plastic.

Malc

#6 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

I think it is aluminium -- the whole point of it is that is part of the caravan "frame" and the strength of the van --
I do hope that there are channels on both sides -- we regularly use both sides of our van.. for the sun porch and the awning.
I could not see any entrance points at all on any of the photos and they seemed to disappear down into a lump of plastic at the bottom corners..???

Maurice

#7 caraman1

caraman1

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

On the two vans I have seen there was no channel on the off-side.

Dave

#8 Bailey Caravans

Bailey Caravans

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

Hello everybody,

I can confirm that the nearside aluminium extrusion has four entry points two to the front and two to the rear. In both instances these are positioned at knee height above the plastic skirt and at eye level.

There is no channel on the offside extrusion.

We did look at the possibility of channels on the extrusions on both sides of the caravan, however there was a significant on-cost involved in terms of the extra machining required and consequently decided against it. Given that a relatively few caravanners use two awnings and we felt the overall cost saving would be of benefit to a greater number of people

Kelly

#9 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

http://i126.photobuc...avan2008005.jpg

http://i126.photobuc...16/KIF_0073.jpg
That rules it out for us then Posted Image

I do wish the site would sort out the uploading of pictures
Once again the pic is downloaded but then up comes a message and its not accepted
I've started looking on other sites that work I'm so fed up with itPosted Image

Edited by Watson(JohnG), 24 September 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#10 Tigger

Tigger

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

We did look at the possibility of channels on the extrusions on both sides of the caravan, however there was a significant on-cost involved in terms of the extra machining required and consequently decided against it.

Seems fair enough to me. I only recall seeing a handful of caravans using the other side for anything. The only thing I use the offside awning rail for is my 'black streak prevention' strip.

#11 PaulB

PaulB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

I have often wondered why caravan manufacturers put awning rails on both sides of the caravan, I have never seen someone have an awning/porch/canopy on both sides of the caravan. I can see the usefullness of doing this, but i dont think the CC or CCC sites are really set up for this, I would be interesting in knowing if anyone does this, and if they do it at the CCC or CC sites.

#12 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

I have often wondered why caravan manufacturers put awning rails on both sides of the caravan, I have never seen someone have an awning/porch/canopy on both sides of the caravan. I can see the usefullness of doing this, but i dont think the CC or CCC sites are really set up for this, I would be interesting in knowing if anyone does this, and if they do it at the CCC or CC sites.

Just look at my link above
We do it every year in France Posted Image

Edited by Watson(JohnG), 24 September 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#13 PaulB

PaulB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

Just look at my link above
We do it every year in France Posted Image

Yeah I can see the advantages never seen it done myself, I'm suprised the basic model carvans haven't taken these off if it adds cost to the unit. Like I said earlier i'm not sure you would be able to do it on a CC site

#14 bigbilly

bigbilly

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Photography, Motor Sports, Caravanning

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

Yeah I can see the advantages never seen it done myself, I'm suprised the basic model carvans haven't taken these off if it adds cost to the unit. Like I said earlier i'm not sure you would be able to do it on a CC site

It's probably cheaper on a conventional built caravan for the manufacturers only to have to purchase one type of strip.

Not sure I would discard a caravan because it was unable to support 2 awnings though.

Bill

#15 caraman1

caraman1

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

I must admit that doing away with the conventional awning rail is I believe a great step forwards.

When putting the awning up it has always worried me that I try and tension the roof poles as much as I can to make the 'canvas' taught. (I've never used one of those tensioners) But, this means that the canvas and poles are trying to pull the Awning rail away from the caravan side and I've worried is this could long term be affecting the seal? On a previous caravan I've had water leaking through and running down the side of the van.

This new idea on the Pegasus means the pull is against the frame of the van, its toughest part. Also with a machined slot you do not get distortion of the gap and it should make pulling the beading through easier in the long term.

How many times have we read comments about replacing the mastic on these rails after x years. Getting rid of all this mastic everywhere again in my opinion can only be a good thing.

All this balanced against a rail on the 'other side' is a good thing. I also believe that Bailey, if they get enough real demand, might re-consider this.

Regards

Dave

Edited by caraman1, 24 September 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#16 IanV8

IanV8

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

I use the rail on the offside to carry the Caravanstore when I am going to use my full awning on the nearside.

Both rails have an extra slot on the horizontal to avoid having to unzip the Caravanstore to move it from side to side.

Have used both when running rallies, urns under canopy.

Ian

#17 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

I use the rail on the offside to carry the Caravanstore when I am going to use my full awning on the nearside.

Both rails have an extra slot on the horizontal to avoid having to unzip the Caravanstore to move it from side to side.

Have used both when running rallies, urns under canopy.

Ian

http://i126.photobuc...avan2008001.jpg
Rail on offside as you say
Van leaving Exeter en route to France
Never used both awning rails in Uk as shade not needed so muchPosted Image
Perhaps Bailey are aiming just at the Uk market with the PegasusPosted Image

#18 thelonegroover

thelonegroover

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Running, Walking, Crawling, Drinking not necessarily in that order.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

I think its about time someone came up with a better way of making caravans. Good job Bailey. Also, having a 10 year water ingress warranty is bound to effect other makers. Even if it does leek, there's no wood to soak the water up and rot away.

#19 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:18 PM

It's probably cheaper on a conventional built caravan for the manufacturers only to have to purchase one type of strip.

Not sure I would discard a caravan because it was unable to support 2 awnings though.

Bill

http://i126.photobuc...dloading002.jpg

This would be a way out of it as it doesn't need to use the awning rail
I contacted bailey some years ago about using the bag awning and they didn't recommend it at all and prefered the type shown above as it is bolted through the van side Posted Image

#20 ALH

ALH

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

That's interesting. I assume you had to take out the roof lockers to be able to do it?

AL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users