8 replies to this topic

#1 DECORATION720

DECORATION720

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi got to thinking when lowering the stabilizer legs why is it that the bolt connections are so far out of sight under the rear of the Challenger Caravan you have to get down on your knee's in the wet grass to see them to connect . The front one's are in view and are very easy to connect to. I fit a drill /driver connection to make things easier, but when are we going to see powered stabilizers as an option or better positioning.

Lorne.

#2 kde

kde

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Interests:Coarse fishing
    Sunderland AFC
    Cycling

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hi got to thinking when lowering the stabilizer legs why is it that the bolt connections are so far out of sight under the rear of the Challenger Caravan you have to get down on your knee's in the wet grass to see them to connect . The front one's are in view and are very easy to connect to. I fit a drill /driver connection to make things easier, but when are we going to see powered stabilizers as an option or better positioning.

Lorne.

Hi Lorne,
you can get a system that puts the steadies down and levels the van at the push of a button. we first saw this system about 15 years ago, its very expensive!

Kevin

#3 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:44 AM

There's this:

http://www.ivan.co.nz/Caralevel.htm

But I just use extensions on the rear steadies made from plastic domestic waste pipe and 2 brackets so that the electric drill/winder is guided onto the nut
Will take a picture later :rolleyes:

Posted Image

On the inner end of the tube and behind the bracket is a jubilee clip to give a better grip

Its possible on steep entrances/speed humps for the tube to ground so there is only one bracket and that allows some "give" :rolleyes:

That is one reason why they are normally so far under to avoid grounding

Edited by Watson(JohnG), 31 August 2009 - 07:12 AM.

#4 Guest_John KS_*

Guest_John KS_*

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

It keeps you fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 DECORATION720

DECORATION720

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hi Fit but knee joints not so good think it comes with the bus pass. I like the tube extention idea will try that one.

Lorne.

#6 SBS

SBS

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

Hi Fit but knee joints not so good think it comes with the bus pass. I like the tube extention idea will try that one.

Lorne.

Alternatively, you could buy the Alko Comfort Kit: http://92.52.96.201/...teady_Accs.html

But, being a Yorkshireman, I would use the waste pipe idea.

Mike

#7 DECORATION720

DECORATION720

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

I see this has also come up in the Caravan talk section it is referred to as an ailment called CARAVANERS KNEE I did like one of the cures though get the wife to put the legs down ? I think it would be great if Swift announced a cure on their new ranges. looking at the rear of the Caravan it could be easily solved in production.

Lorne.

#8 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

I see this has also come up in the Caravan talk section it is referred to as an ailment called CARAVANERS KNEE I did like one of the cures though get the wife to put the legs down ? I think it would be great if Swift announced a cure on their new ranges. looking at the rear of the Caravan it could be easily solved in production.

Lorne.

Perhaps there could be a new model Swift Charismatic Chiropracter that cures bad knees ,possibly with free embrocation :blink:( Approved by Swift --yet to be tested by Bailey)
As to fitting anything in production there is no need from a marketing viewpoint
Until someone else does it and catch up has to be played :rolleyes:
ABI used to fit metal extensions and I found some locking pieces in my spares box this week
They fitted through a hole across the extension piece and had another hole for a padlock

Edited by Watson(JohnG), 10 September 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#9 DECORATION720

DECORATION720

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

Hi JohnG

Fifth wheelers from across the pound are playing catch up fast in a very short time the interiors and fittings are now looking very European with quality of Finish these include powered legs and lots of things we could only dream about here when you sit in the new Ultra Lite 23ft long they are home from home with the slide outs.
People are prepared to pay double the price and these are appealing to Motor home owners mostly. I think Caravan builders here a stuck in a time warp. When are we going to see a new British lightweight Caravan with slide outs the first to do it would corner the market. I may be tempted if they continue bringing the size and weight down.

Lorne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users