#1 SamP

SamP

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

Hi All

Have a very strage problem on the water heater I hope somebody may be able to shed some light on.

When the hot water has not been used for a longer period of time, ie overnight, I swich the hot water tap on in the morning to find no water in the tank, and I have to fill it up again and get the air out, I know it's empty because it take a good 3+ minutes to get water out, which is the time it takes to fill the tank.

Here's the strange part, the problem appears to be intermittent. We can have a trip away in the van and not have the problem, but will have the problem on the next trip. Almost like the movement of the van is causing it. I got the van out of storage yesterday and is on my drive, I filled up the hotwater tank and tried it this morning, completly empty. But, I can't see any water under the van, and I've followed the hot water pipes all round the van and can find no damp patches.

I can only assume that there is a slow leak somewhere, and where it is leaking is drying up before I get chance to find it.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Sam

#2 tonyddol

tonyddol

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

Hi Sam,
I had the same problem and after extensive research concluded the water was syphoning back from the hot water tank to my water barrel. Trauma agreed with this and recommended I fit non return valve which I deed. This had only a limited amount of success as the pressure of the water was generally insuffient to activate the non return valve and water was still passing through. After further deliberation I replaced the hot water feed hose with a longer length to enable it to rise above the level of the tank. Therefore preventing gravity having an effect. This has cured the problem.
Tony

#3 SamP

SamP

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Tony, I will try a longer peice of feed hose and see how we get on. It's starting to really annoy me now, what with more trips to the water tap than I should be doing!!!

Sam

#4 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

When the pressure relief valve (T-junction at the top, in the hot outlet) goes faulty it allows steam out and down the overflow pipe, which of course you never see as it's steam.

Mine went just after the three year warranty ended but the replacement was easy to fit and has been fine.

You'll need to find a good Truma dealer as some of Truma's exploded diagrams only show/list the lower (cold inlet) elbow.

I got mine from Jacksons of Arley in Warwickshire - their parts guys are very knowledgeable and pricing is competitive - thoroughly recommended by me (not done very often!).

#5 SamP

SamP

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Roger, I know Jacksons well, and yes they are very good. I was there a couple of weeks ago whilst staying on a CL in (Quarry Farm, Mancetter) and they were able to identify exactly the right type of repalcement kitchen tap for my van. Everything seems to be breaking at the moment!

Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users