7 replies to this topic

#1 paulliver

paulliver

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

purchased an alko hitch lock the other day and tried to fit it to the caravan no luck
the two bolts what go through the chassis are too long and are stopping the hitch lock from fitting in the brackets
anybody else have this problem
did u cut the bolts or replace them for smaller ones
cheers paul

#2 KenMc

KenMc

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi Paul, If it's an AL-KO AKS 2004/3004 Hitch Lock, I (thought) I had the same problem last week, but before i got the grinder out I had another attempt at getting it to fit and got it on. there is a small curl on the front edge of the hitch lock that has to go under the edge of the coupling head allowing the lock to move forwads a few mill and you can then push the lock barrel in and turn the key.
Cheers
Ken

#3 Dorchester

Dorchester

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

purchased an alko hitch lock the other day and tried to fit it to the caravan no luck
the two bolts what go through the chassis are too long and are stopping the hitch lock from fitting in the brackets
anybody else have this problem
did u cut the bolts or replace them for smaller ones
cheers paul

Hi Paul,

I had a similar problem with my Al-Ko security lock/cover. It fitted fine onto our 2006 Coackman Pastiche, but when attempting to fit it onto our new Lunar Lexon SE, I experienced the same problem as you. As the caravan hitches were identical 3004 Al-Ko items, I e-mailed Al-Ko and got the following reply: -

I've looked into the description of the problem and it would appear that the stabiliser on the new caravan is more likely to be at fault. It is possible that the slots on the side of the stabiliser, where the security device locates, are out of tolerance. Occasionally, the casting process leaves the slot slightly smaller and as a result prevents the security device from locating properly in the slots.

We would recommend that the stabiliser be replaced under warranty and you should arrange to take the vehicle in to one of these Service Centres and replace the stabiliser under the terms of our Warranty. They should then return the defective stabiliser to us for us to review.

I do not know how old yourAl-Ko stabiliser hitch is, but if it is less than 12 months old, Al-Ko should excahage it under warranty. If it is older, than contact A;-Ko and ask them which parts are likely to be causing the problem, and they will tell you which part needs some gentle filing.

Hope that this helps,

Regards,
David

#4 kamroo

kamroo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rugby Union, Camping now Caravanning

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:21 AM

It is a bit fiddly but get it on ok.

On another point about the Alko hitch lock, I only found out from a service centre that the ball is essential for security!

I always thought it was to protect the friction pads.

Apparently certain groups have modified there towballs so they fit in a hitch locked towbar, the ball is essential to stop this!

#5 caravanurchin

caravanurchin

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

It is a bit fiddly but get it on ok.

On another point about the Alko hitch lock, I only found out from a service centre that the ball is essential for security!

I always thought it was to protect the friction pads.

Apparently certain groups have modified there towballs so they fit in a hitch locked towbar, the ball is essential to stop this!

Hi, by 'the ball' do you mean the red plastic ball thing that comes in the box with the hitchlock? New caravan, wheel locks, hitchlock, clamp etc etc so much to learn. I was wondering what it was for.

Penny

#6 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hi, by 'the ball' do you mean the red plastic ball thing that comes in the box with the hitchlock? New caravan, wheel locks, hitchlock, clamp etc etc so much to learn. I was wondering what it was for.

Penny

Yes the red plastic ball. Fit the ball before fitting the hitchlock. It stops anyone with an undersize towball from putting the hitch on and towing it away. The ball is quite tough plastic.
Brian

#7 caravanurchin

caravanurchin

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:11 PM

Many thanks Brian, will get the red ball out of the front locker & use it from now on.

Cheers, Penny.

Edited by caravanurchin, 22 September 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#8 kamroo

kamroo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Rugby Union, Camping now Caravanning

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

Missed your post Penny, thanks Brian! :D

Wonder how many other people don't use it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users