#1 Samtheman

Samtheman

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Travel, photography, films... oh, and caravanning

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

I was sure there was a post some time ago about the problem of door lock mechanisms sticking but I can't find it. It's a minor but annoying niggle that our door catch sticks on open and makes closing and locking from the outside a bit of a pain. It's a Bailey just a few months old. I can't remember if it's OK to spray a bit of WD40 into the mechanism or some other spray like silicon, or even furniture polish like Pledge. Anyone else had this problem who can advise. Seems a trivial thing and not worth a trip to a dealer but irritating on a new van and hopefully easily fixed.

#2 Thombo

Thombo

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

Yes I had the same problem, I took the handle of from the inside and seen that it was tight where it goes through to the lock.
I widened the hole it goes through slightly and now ok. If your caravan is under warranty contact your dealer.

Good luck
Thomson

#3 David50

David50

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:People & Life

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

WD40 is great for freeing stuck things but no good for long term lubrication as it evaporates away. If you feel competent take the lock apart and check all parts for tightness. If you are satisfied there's no moulding bits causing the sticking reassemble using either vaseline or silicon spray as a lubricant.

#4 phil1041

phil1041

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

I was sure there was a post some time ago about the problem of door lock mechanisms sticking but I can't find it. It's a minor but annoying niggle that our door catch sticks on open and makes closing and locking from the outside a bit of a pain. It's a Bailey just a few months old. I can't remember if it's OK to spray a bit of WD40 into the mechanism or some other spray like silicon, or even furniture polish like Pledge. Anyone else had this problem who can advise. Seems a trivial thing and not worth a trip to a dealer but irritating on a new van and hopefully easily fixed.

Yep, had exactly the same problem, dealer fitted another one.

Phil.

#5 Cruzer

Cruzer

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and garden railways.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

I too remember the thread and also that a lot of those that had dealer replacements were no better afterwards. If you can do the DIY fix I suspect it will be a better long term fix.

#6 paulus

paulus

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:48 PM

Assuming your lock is the Hartal design, the problem is that the spindle of the internal lever sticks against the cylindrical bush that it passes through (open the lock up and the problem becomes very obvious)....
I had this problem with mine and fixed it recently by removing the lock ( 4 screws, 2 behind the 'Hartal' sign and 1 behind each of the red and green dots) then removing the circlip that holds the internal lever into the main body. I sandpapered the spindle of the internal catch until it stopped sticking in it's housing, added a spot of Vaseline (I wouldn't advise using WD40 as it is a water dispersant and not a lubricant, the solvent used in it is known to attack many types of plastic, Vaseline or silicone lube is a better bet) and reassembled it. It now works perfectly.

It's a very simple job, the hardest parts are removing the circlip (which is very easy if you use circlip pliers) and removing the red and green dots without damaging them, and should take no more than 10-20 minutes!

I wouldn't bother taking it to your dealer if they are anything like mine as they will only squirt a bit of lube into the lock which does absolutely nothing to solve the problem.

Edited by paulus, 03 August 2009 - 11:52 PM.

#7 Samtheman

Samtheman

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

Assuming your lock is the Hartal design, the problem is that the spindle of the internal lever sticks against the cylindrical bush that it passes through (open the lock up and the problem becomes very obvious)....
I had this problem with mine and fixed it recently by removing the lock ( 4 screws, 2 behind the 'Hartal' sign and 1 behind each of the red and green dots) then removing the circlip that holds the internal lever into the main body. I sandpapered the spindle of the internal catch until it stopped sticking in it's housing, added a spot of Vaseline (I wouldn't advise using WD40 as it is a water dispersant and not a lubricant, the solvent used in it is known to attack many types of plastic, Vaseline or silicone lube is a better bet) and reassembled it. It now works perfectly.

It's a very simple job, the hardest parts are removing the circlip (which is very easy if you use circlip pliers) and removing the red and green dots without damaging them, and should take no more than 10-20 minutes!

I wouldn't bother taking it to your dealer if they are anything like mine as they will only squirt a bit of lube into the lock which does absolutely nothing to solve the problem.

Thanks Paulus. That's really helpful, I'm a bit cack handed at DIY but the alternative of taking the van to a dealer for a quick fix that may not last is a lot of hassle given it's at least a 100 mile round trip. I'll give it a go.

BAILEY (Kelly), I hope you are listening. After paying oodles for your top of the range van, should I and others really have to be doing this to such a basic component!!? :angry:

#8 GT60

GT60

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hi Samtheman
If you want put your post in the post i have got going over the over sized taps in Baileys and then all of us can do a collective greevance to Bailey and Neil Godfrey the Design Engineer.
Also his e mail addy is in my post.

Niall

#9 paulus

paulus

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Paulus. That's really helpful, I'm a bit cack handed at DIY but the alternative of taking the van to a dealer for a quick fix that may not last is a lot of hassle given it's at least a 100 mile round trip. I'll give it a go.

BAILEY (Kelly), I hope you are listening. After paying oodles for your top of the range van, should I and others really have to be doing this to such a basic component!!? :angry:

Give it a go, it sounds more complicated than it really is!

You will need something fairly strong with a sharp point (i.e. a bradawl) to get the red and green covers off of the screws and it's virtually impossible to do it without damaging them somehow although I believe replacements are available direct from Hartal (the lock manufacturers who, incidently, are aware of the sticky lever problem!). The 'Hartal' nameplate is easy to lever off with a small screwdriver. The circlip is all yours!

If you really don't want to do it yourself, I'm sure there is a mobile caravan engineer near you, or someone who is more confident at DIY, who would be able to do it for a small fee, certainly for less than the cost of dragging your caravan to your dealer.

Edited by paulus, 04 August 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#10 gordy

gordy

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

phone hartal,and they will send you a replacement,free of charge......they did for me

#11 paulus

paulus

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

phone hartal,and they will send you a replacement,free of charge......they did for me

Are the replacements free from the sticking lever problem, a redesign maybe?

I wonder if the problem only shows itself after some time as my van was a year old when I bought it.

#12 poolebob

poolebob

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

[/quote]

I understand your frustration but in fairness to Bailey this is down to their door manufacturer Hartal. They supply a number of van manufacturers including Swift and Coachman who have all experienced the same problem.

poolebob

#13 gordy

gordy

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

hi
the replacement has been fine

#14 Samtheman

Samtheman

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

Update...

I found a thread posted on April 22 2008 on this forum at http://www.caravanta...h...=17903&st=0

Interestingly, the solution Paulus described is there as well as solutions involving Hartal lock replacement.

This shows the value of forums like this, don't you think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users