eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:Steam railways, real ale.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

Pageant S7 Sancerre

The Boss and myself have just returned from a 4 day long weekend in the new van. Previous van was a 2001 Pageant Auvergne. Found the new van to be great – the end washroom was a revelation (although I gather it is small by usual end bathroom standards – luxury to us), bed comfortable and no need to make it up, excellent space for folk to pass around the kitchen/door entrance area and the longer nearside/port/left front bench seat is still just long enough for me (6’) to stretch out (N.B. This was thoroughly tested at the dealership, Bardsea Leisure, Ulverston, who provided an excellent service). We have also had the optional front locker fitted.

Inevitably there are a few niggles. These are (to date):
The Alko wheel lock receiver is fitted to the nearside wheel. This means the visual deterrent is lost due to it being hidden by the awning (and by a low wall below door level at home meaning I can’t use it).
The cutlery drawer is behind the main kitchen locker door. There is also a large vacant space above it which could have been used for a second drawer for kitchen utensils. I have had to make a cardboard insert for one of the wire baskets for these.
Why oh why do Bailey insist on using the design of front locker fold out table that requires the surface to be cleared to allow you to fold it out? Other manufacturers have a simple system where the extension just pulls out from below the top which then drops down to make a level table, allowing you to leave your clutter in place.
The main table is heavy and the fold over leaves feel a bit flimsy. They must also be folded out to use the table making it very wide. I felt the original style of table was better.
The heating thermostat is placed behind the TV station (as it was on the Auvergne) allowing it to be influenced by the heat generated by the TV.
The battery locker is located on the nearside requiring the hook up cable to be run through the awning or behind the draught skirt and around the wheel arch.
The wardrobe tapers towards the back meaning it is not wide enough for a standard length coat hanger towards the aft end.
The 12V socket does not appear to be live during towing meaning I can not run my cold box in the van during transit (warm beer on arrival!!!).

From the above it sounds as though we are not happy with the van – on the contrary, we love it and would probably give it 8/10. However, with the above to our satisfaction it would be 9.5/10.

Will keep you advised of any further developments.

#2 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

Pageant S7 Sancerre
The 12V socket does not appear to be live during towing meaning I can not run my cold box in the van during transit (warm beer on arrival!!!).

All 12v supplies (except fridge & battery charging) in the caravan are isolated by relays when your car engine is started so this presumably includes your 12v socket so it is working as intended. The solution would be to fit another 12v socket run direct from the caravan battery through a fused and switched connection which would bypass the relays.

Good to hear your comments on the Sancerre as this would be on my list when I come to change.
Brian

#3 Artleknock

Artleknock

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:48 AM

All 12v supplies (except fridge & battery charging) in the caravan are isolated by relays when your car engine is started so this presumably includes your 12v socket so it is working as intended. The solution would be to fit another 12v socket run direct from the caravan battery through a fused and switched connection which would bypass the relays.

Good to hear your comments on the Sancerre as this would be on my list when I come to change.
Brian

My beer travels in the fridge. I bring the caravan home from storage the day before we go away and run the fridge on EHU overnight.

#4 johnjk0591

johnjk0591

New to the board

• Approved Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

Picked up our new Sancerre last Saturday and are looking forward to trying it out this coming weekend.

#5 eltel

eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

My beer travels in the fridge. I bring the caravan home from storage the day before we go away and run the fridge on EHU overnight.

Long ago the Boss and I had a discussion about the purpose of the fridge - she will insist on using it for food - and the Boss is she who must be obeyed! Hence the requirement for the large cold box which is normally kept in the awning and contains beer and wine - as a concession I even I even keep a bottle of tonic in there for the Boss!

#6 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

That is interesting about the 12 volt socket -- are all caravans the same -- Swift group for example??

My previous van --I used to travel just as eltel did -- with a cool box on the floor [firmly anchored] with the necessities in.and the 12 v plug worked -- you could here the fan working !!

But this one dont seem to be live..

Thought it was just my van..

Maurice

#7 nixtoo

nixtoo

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Oh that's the caravan we want to get, great to see an honest review. Always like to be pre warned about niggles. Just out of interest how long does the shower run for?

#8 eltel

eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:33 PM

Oh that's the caravan we want to get, great to see an honest review. Always like to be pre warned about niggles. Just out of interest how long does the shower run for?

The Boss managed to run out of hot water just as she finished and used about 2/3 of 40lt aquaroll. I had plenty hot water and used about 1/2. There is a lever type mixer in the shower so I found it easy to turn the shower off while soaping, shampooing etc. (guess who fills the aquaroll?!) and turn it on again for rinsing. I'm a bigish bloke but I found the cubicle alright for room. Plenty of pressure on the shower as well with the onboard pump.

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:49 PM

Inevitably there are a few niggles. These are (to date):

The cutlery drawer is behind the main kitchen locker door. There is also a large vacant space above it which could have been used for a second drawer for kitchen utensils. I have had to make a cardboard insert for one of the wire baskets for these.
Why oh why do Bailey insist on using the design of front locker fold out table that requires the surface to be cleared to allow you to fold it out? Other manufacturers have a simple system where the extension just pulls out from below the top which then drops down to make a level table, allowing you to leave your clutter in place.
The main table is heavy and the fold over leaves feel a bit flimsy.....
The heating thermostat is placed behind the TV station (as it was on the Auvergne) allowing it to be influenced by the heat generated by the TV.

We have the somewhat similar Burgundy and I'll agree with all the remarks I've selected above. And we too made a cardboard liner for the middle wire drawer - wonder how many people have done this?
I think the table has flaps to allow for the extra width of the S7 while allowing it to be stored in the usual place.

You've not run into the problems with the centre-fixing jockey wheel yet then?

Bry

#10 eltel

eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

We have the somewhat similar Burgundy and I'll agree with all the remarks I've selected above. And we too made a cardboard liner for the middle wire drawer - wonder how many people have done this?
I think the table has flaps to allow for the extra width of the S7 while allowing it to be stored in the usual place.

You've not run into the problems with the centre-fixing jockey wheel yet then?

Bry

Go on Bry, hit me with the jockey wheel problem. The only one I've found so far is that it fouls part of the brake mechanism if it is inclined a bit to the right. Oh, and also that the slots need lining up in good time to fully retract it. I've put these problems down to my tow ball being a bit low. Are there others?

#11 eltel

eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:05 AM

Another couple of niggles:

The awning light is also visible inside the van. Why? If you want light in awning, switch on awning light; if you want light inside van, switch on caravan light. Simples! Now a morning long lie is disturbed by daylight coming in through awning light fitting and the Grandkids are disturbed when trying to sleep inside the van while we are in awning. Is the idea to remind you that the awning light is on? A simple indicator switch on the control panel would suffice. Out with the trusty cardboard and blu-tac!
Speaking of indicator lights there isn't a neon indicator on the hot water switch (there wasn't on my Auvergne either) yet there was one on my 1993 Ace Tycoon. The switches on the S7 are dark plastic and it is difficult to spot if they are on or off.

#12 BryanS

BryanS

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Go on Bry, hit me with the jockey wheel problem. The only one I've found so far is that it fouls part of the brake mechanism if it is inclined a bit to the right. Oh, and also that the slots need lining up in good time to fully retract it. I've put these problems down to my tow ball being a bit low. Are there others?

You've touched on it. For travelling, the jockey wheel needs to be fully raised, which you do by the slots thing and by reclamping the outer tube higher. The wheel is then facing aft, and nicely tucked away. So far so good...
But if you couple up where the ground under the jockey wheel is a little high, and the wheel is sideways (as it often is if the van needs swinging onto the hitch), there isn't enough height between the ground and the bolts and brake bits to swing the wheel round. So you either excavate a bit of ground (not always easy) or drive the outfit forward a few feet and hope no damage is caused to the hitch area.

In our old Ranger the jockey assembly was externally-clamped and you could unbolt the whole thing - more practical but less neat.

So you don't like the awning light showing inside? - in the old van the fridge's mains switch emitted a ghostly green glow that took some getting used to in the night. I'm glad that's gone!

Bry

#13 eltel

eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:11 PM

In our old Ranger the jockey assembly was externally-clamped and you could unbolt the whole thing - more practical but less neat.

So you don't like the awning light showing inside? - in the old van the fridge's mains switch emitted a ghostly green glow that took some getting used to in the night. I'm glad that's gone!

Bry

The same on my old Auvergne. In fact, I used to use a clamp on Bigfoot motor mover for parking van in our tight drive. Now have a fitted Truma mover - luxury.

Agree about the fridge light although it was handy to have some indicator that the fridge was working, especially when hitched up.

#14 colger23

colger23

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

But if you couple up where the ground under the jockey wheel is a little high, and the wheel is sideways (as it often is if the van needs swinging onto the hitch), there isn't enough height between the ground and the bolts and brake bits to swing the wheel round. So you either excavate a bit of ground (not always easy) or drive the outfit forward a few feet and hope no damage is caused to the hitch area.

Bry

Before hooking up drop one of the front steadys - raise the jockey wheel just off the ground and align the wheel fore and aft, and also align the shaft if you need to so that when the jockey wheel is raised it slides neatly in the slots on the JW housing. Now lower the JW to take pressure off the steady, raise steady, hook up and raise JW which is now already lined up thereby avoiding possible damage to the A frame cover. Takes longer to write this than actually do it on site !!

Gerry

#15 Bailey Caravans

Bailey Caravans

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hello

I have referred this feed back to our Design team who have responded with the following points.

The Alko wheel lock is on the near side as it is felt it is more visible this side. Also, if you were required to secure your caravan at the roadside, the nearside would have the safest access

The cutlery drawer: We are looking at utilizing the space above the cutlery drawer on future models. Although at the present the gap is there due to this cupboard on some models falling under the sink. This means the cutlery drawer has to be lower but as the cupboard is standard this then follows through to other vans.

The front table is being looked at with regards to changing it to a sliding extension as opposed to the fold out.
The fold out table is far more practical for use with 4 people where as the smaller table you would struggle to get 4 plates on it.

If you feel the TV is influencing the thermostat then turn it up to allow for this. There is no other place to put it as the flue goes up the other side and this generates far more heat than any TV will.

The battery box is located where ever it is practical. We always try and locate it as close to the wheel box as possible and normally behind the fire as this maximizes the storage space. If we put it on the off side it would have to go in the wardrobe and this would be very tight due to the angle of the wardrobe.

The wardrobe tapers allowing enough clearance to walk to the bathroom.

When the engine is started a relay switch turns the 12V off in the caravan. This is a regulation. If a cool box is needed when traveling then a separate wire could be connected up directly to the car. Alternatively put the cool box in the boot of the car connected to a cigarette lighter and put what ever is in the boot in the caravan.

All feedback is welcome so please do not hesitate to forward your suggestions and ideas to us.

Kelly

#16 eltel

eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

The front table is being looked at with regards to changing it to a sliding extension as opposed to the fold out.
The fold out table is far more practical for use with 4 people where as the smaller table you would struggle to get 4 plates on it.

If you feel the TV is influencing the thermostat then turn it up to allow for this. There is no other place to put it as the flue goes up the other side and this generates far more heat than any TV will.

Thanks for getting back, Kelly. Answers are fair comment - I would only query the two above.

If you required a table for 4 people you would use the main table. The fold over front locker type of table is still only suitable for 2 therefore a slide out alternative would be acceptable.

I thought the thermostat only applies with the mains electric source to the heater being used therefore there shouldn't be much heat going up the flue should there? However, if it can't be located elsewhere so be it.

Any comments about my supplementary niggles about the awning light and neon indicator on water heater switch?

Many thanks,
Terry.

#17 BryanS

BryanS

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

Before hooking up drop one of the front steadys - raise the jockey wheel just off the ground and align the wheel fore and aft, and also align the shaft if you need to so that when the jockey wheel is raised it slides neatly in the slots on the JW housing. Now lower the JW to take pressure off the steady, raise steady, hook up and raise JW which is now already lined up thereby avoiding possible damage to the A frame cover. Takes longer to write this than actually do it on site !!

If only I was organised well enough to do that! You have to avoid swinging the hitch, and therefore the wheel sideways too. Hey ho.

#18 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

Personally, I would not want a neon light on the water heater switch. It would give the same problems during the night as the fridge mains lights used to, which now have disappeared. You can easily see whether the switch is on or not. We just leave our heater on all the time as it is thermostatically controlled. I would, however, like to see the return of a light on the fridge to indicate a 12v supply when towing as you never know for certain whether it is on or not. Dont need a mains light.
I have the same awning light on my series 6, which I do not find a problem as it gives light to both the awning and the inside of the caravan. However, I can see there may be a problem if you have children sleeping in the van and you using the awning. Maybe something to blank out the light on the inside if this is a problem.
Brian

#19 eltel

eltel

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

Personally, I would not want a neon light on the water heater switch. It would give the same problems during the night as the fridge mains lights used to, which now have disappeared. You can easily see whether the switch is on or not. We just leave our heater on all the time as it is thermostatically controlled. I would, however, like to see the return of a light on the fridge to indicate a 12v supply when towing as you never know for certain whether it is on or not. Dont need a mains light.
I have the same awning light on my series 6, which I do not find a problem as it gives light to both the awning and the inside of the caravan. However, I can see there may be a problem if you have children sleeping in the van and you using the awning. Maybe something to blank out the light on the inside if this is a problem.
Brian

Hi Brian, obviously a lot of these things are personal preference. I too leave the water heater on which is fine with a CC 16A supply but I have just been to a CL with a 10A supply where, due to lack of communication, we also managed to put the kettle and toaster on at the same time which popped the supply. Previously we had switched the water heater off to do this and an indicator light would have served as a useful memory aid. As the switch is below the level of the front seat I don't think the light would present a problem - it didn't in my Ace.
Had thought of blanking out the inside of the awning light - hence my comment about "cardboard and blu-tac" in a previous post.

#20 Bailey Caravans

Bailey Caravans

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for getting back, Kelly. Answers are fair comment - I would only query the two above.

If you required a table for 4 people you would use the main table. The fold over front locker type of table is still only suitable for 2 therefore a slide out alternative would be acceptable.

I thought the thermostat only applies with the mains electric source to the heater being used therefore there shouldn't be much heat going up the flue should there? However, if it can't be located elsewhere so be it.

Any comments about my supplementary niggles about the awning light and neon indicator on water heater switch?

Many thanks,
Terry.

Hi eltel

With regards to a light on the water heater, as long as there is water in the water heater it can be left on all the time and therefore felt that a light is not required.

With regards to the awning light a white cover as opposed to a clear cover can be purchased through your retailer which will block the light out

Regards

Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users