9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Carrot

Mr Carrot

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thinking about getting my dad a compact mobility scooter, the ones that take a part and fit in your boot and the battery is separate too. The thing is do you think we will be able to charge the battery in the caravan over night when nothing else electrical is really on. I have telephoned a place that sells the scooters and he was nice but could not really answer my question.
Can any one help please.

#2 Entwood

Entwood

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Interests:Quietly Confident

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

I have charged a scooter up for someone else when they had a problem ... it was done this way .... I have a ctek xs 3600 battery charger which lives in the 'van when not being used. I also have a 200 watt inverter so I can do work on the laptop/printer when away ... so we tried it ... plugged the inverter in and connected up the charger .. all worked fine... :)

Now in this case it was done during the day, and it was a nice day so the solar panel was able to shove around 40-50 watts (its rated at 65 watts but I've never got it that high) back at the battery if needed, but it never seemed to get that high... after about 6 hours the scooter said it was fully charged ... and the 'van battery showed no signs of struggling ...

Now in the winter you might have a bit of a problem .. it depends, I suppose, on the size of the scooter battery, and how much it needs to get a full charge...

I suppose you could always plug the inverter into the car and run the car engine to charge it if the 'van battery was unhappy ??

Edited by Entwood, 29 January 2009 - 11:00 PM.

#3 Mr Carrot

Mr Carrot

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

Thankyou for your reply, I have been looking at the battery that comes with the compact scooter on the net and it says 2amp.(no wiser lol) Now I need to find out the wattage and then I can work from there maybe then?? The battery does come off the scooter so I guess on a slow charge through the night and the site is 16amp we may be ok. I am just bothered about blowing everyone fuses or what ever it does when you over load on a site lol..I was going to ring the site up but then i thought maybe they would say I need to pay extra and charge it with them, as a gimmick thing..
Bluming heck its hard is this caravaning lark so far I have needed geography lessons, pluming lessons and now I need to be a electrician. Is it me who is thick or does everyone find it hard at first...

#4 chapmag

chapmag

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

Hi there I don't think it's any of the things you mentioned... it's just that you are new to it!

We all were once and you'll be surprised at the number of people out there that will give you a hand/answer your questions.

I've followed your progress to date and I'm sure charging a scooter battery overnight using a modern "intelligent" charger will not blow any fusues!!!!

Once you've had your first trip you'll wonder what all the fuss was about... but you will also have a few things to chuckle about that didn't quite goes as planned!!!

G.

#5 Legsmaniac

Legsmaniac

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:Computing, photography, caravanning, leisure, crafts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

My wife has a disability scooter and the charger transformer is rated 1.6 amps. No chance of tripping the mains. I also have an inverter that plugs into the ciggie socket so can charge the scooter while on the move. :D

#6 GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Sailing & Caravaning (not at the same time, caravans tend to sink!) Reading, Motorcycling

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

Hi C.

if you get hold of a ctek battery charger (or one of its cheaper clones available from time to time at Lidl or Aldi for about 15 -20 ish, ctek ones are in the region of 45ish), ctek chargers & their clones are "intelligent chargers" & will fully charge the battery overnight without causing any damage the battery.

As long as you're hooked up to an EHU you'll be able to plug it into your outside 240v socket & charge it up overnight in the awning, I wouldn't recommend charging a battery inside the caravan for safety reasons (PM me & I'll explain).

Although it's possible to charge the battery via a battery charger hooked up to an inverter plugged into the 12v circuits of the caravan thats a highly ineficient use of the vans battery, far better to plug it into the tow car's 12v system, via a cigarette lighter fitting, & drive around or run tthe car's engine, but just running the engine to charge a battery is also very fuel ineficient as well!

#7 Elldisrod

Elldisrod

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:03 AM

I presume the scooter is supplied with a charger , and the current consumption of the charger is 2a , in broad terms about 500w
That is negligible on a 16a hookup , on on the continent , overnight should not cause problems on a typical French 4/6a supply

If any one is interested , I have a full size mobility scooter for sale , brand new batteries etc , happy to deliver within 30 miles of my location , PM for more info

#8 Legsmaniac

Legsmaniac

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Interests:Computing, photography, caravanning, leisure, crafts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

I wouldn't recommend charging a battery inside the caravan for safety reasons

As far as I'm aware, it's perfectly safe to charge a mobility scooter inside the home. Even a caravan. Mobility scooters use sealed lead-acid batteries which are indeed completely sealed with no vent holes whatsoever. Sealed lead-acid batteries are designed so that the oxygen generated during charging is captured and recombined in the battery. This is called an oxygen recombination cycle and works well as long as the charge rate is not too high. Too high of a rate of charge may result in case rupture, thermal runaway, or internal mechanical damage. So long as the use of the recommended charger is always used as supplied with the scooter.

#9 Mattie

Mattie

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

I always charged hubby's power chair over night in the porch awning without any problems. I had an outside electric socket in that caravan which made it easier.

#10 Paulines7

Paulines7

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, wildlife, gardening, football on TV.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

Mr Carrot, I an beginning to get concerned about your first outing. The problem I see of taking a mobility scooter will be having the space to fit three adults, two children, luggage. awning, poles and a mobility scooter all in your car. With five of you travelling you will have quite an amount of clothing etc and will have to be careful how much you put in the caravan to keep within the weight limit and not overload it. Too much weight can be very dangerous and as you are new to towing, it could be a lethal combination.

Of course, maybe you intend taking two cars and that would solve the problem. If not then you may be better to hire a mobility scooter as you originally planned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users