6 replies to this topic

#1 notyalc

notyalc

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

We have a 2004 Compass Omega 480/2. Is there an 'easy' place to substitute the 13 core cable into the system. I would not be concerned about removing both the 12n and 12s? Do they go to the same place in / under the van?

#2 GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Sailing & Caravaning (not at the same time, caravans tend to sink!) Reading, Motorcycling

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:47 AM

Notyalc.

I'm assuming thatyou've got a new tow car with 13 pin electrics & that you're going to replace the 12n & 12s plugs on the van?

If so, the simplest way to do it is to just replace the 12n & 12s plugs with a 13 pin one, the two cables will just about fit into the 12 pin plug's cable entry (dont forget that although the 12n & 12s both have 7 pins each, in the 12s only 6 of them are used!).

However the neatest solution is to replace the cabling all the way back to the junction box under or inside the caravan (if fitted, if not right back to the fuse panel in the van) along with the 13 pin plug.

But! you will have to remember NOT to wire up the 13 pin plug & single 13 core cable as per the post 98 van wiring, you'll have to transpose some of the wires & to do that you'll need to study both the pre & post 98 plug/socket wiring diagrams (both available on the technical section on the CC's web site.

#3 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

But! you will have to remember NOT to wire up the 13 pin plug & single 13 core cable as per the post 98 van wiring, you'll have to transpose some of the wires & to do that you'll need to study both the pre & post 98 plug/socket wiring diagrams (both available on the technical section on the CC's web site.

I don't understand your logic here. As it is a 2004 caravan we are talking about, why would you not want to wire up to the post 1998 standard?

I converted my caravan to a 13 pin plug. Just make sure that when you purchase the 13 core cable that it has 5 2.5mm2 cores, with the remainder at 1.5mm2. I purchase mine from Sargents.
http://www.sargentlt...cable_shop.html
I just found a convenient place to locate some terminal blocks to join the new cable with the existing cable.
Brian

#4 GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Sailing & Caravaning (not at the same time, caravans tend to sink!) Reading, Motorcycling

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Notyalc,

OOOPS........major cock up on the cock up front! its my dyxlwexic glasses!!!! well thats my excuse & I'm sticking to it! no seriously Brian is right & I'm wrong I misread your vans age as 94 not 04 as stated! my apologies!!!!!grovel, grovel!

#5 notyalc

notyalc

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have seen the Sargent website before, just wondered if there was an easy junction box or place inside the van. I don't intend having any joints ouside of the van, although I do have access to high quality connectors. I my opinion why have connections if you don't have to, just something else to go wrong when you don't need it.........

#6 4wheels

4wheels

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

When I changed to a 13 pin plug, the original intention was to replace from the main junction box, however there were several connectors that I couldnít get so I opted for simple connection strips located in a new sealed electric box and cut the original wires doing it that way I didnít need the special connectors.

From memory the connectors were 15 amp spade type with a tight insulation around them and I couldnít get connector with tight insulation.

Since then I have realised that if I sell the van the new owners can simply re convert back to 7 pins if they want so we all can win.

I also kept the 12n connector on the car and only replaced the 12s with a 13pin so I could connect a normal trailer.

Thanks

#7 Vernon

Vernon

RIP

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:44 PM

I also kept the 12n connector on the car and only replaced the 12s with a 13pin so I could connect a normal trailer.
Thanks

Why not fully wire the 13 pin socket on the car and use one of these adaptors to connect the 12N plug on your trailer to the 13 pin socket on the car?
http://www.westernto...info_ELS13.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users