#1 The Wanderer

The Wanderer

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

HI All,
As this is the first year of touring caravanning can someone please clarify the following or give best advice:

I purchased a Sprite Alpine (4) 2008 and then had a powertouch mover fitted. On fitting the mover the engineer from powertouch advised that the factory fitted on board battery charger was insufficient to replace the charge back into the battery the mover would use.
I then asked what would be the best way forward and was advised to purchase another charger that would replace the power lost after using the mover.
The battery is a Numax 100 Mah and the charger I purchased is a connect and forget Numax to suit the battery

My question is this can I permanently have the new charger connected at the same time as the factory fitted one or would this not be a good idea. The connect and forget from Numax is designed to run from a 240v socket and connected direct to the battery.
The factory fitted on board charger in effect is only a transformer and feeds a trickle charge when needed, the new one from Numax will give a boost charge and then switch on and off automatically as required

What would be the best way forward

Maybe SWIFT would be able to advise

Thanks in advance

Ian

#2 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

I have been using a mover for 10 years with an 85 amp hour battery and latterly a 100 amp hour one
The 2 movers : Carver and now Powrtouch with auto engage both have worked well just using the caravan battery charger
We have the 2008 Ace Award Nightstar

#3 Novocastrian

Novocastrian

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:44 AM

HI All,
As this is the first year of touring caravanning can someone please clarify the following or give best advice:

I purchased a Sprite Alpine (4) 2008 and then had a powertouch mover fitted. On fitting the mover the engineer from powertouch advised that the factory fitted on board battery charger was insufficient to replace the charge back into the battery the mover would use.

I would say that is nonsense. It is time that will replace the charge, not the charging current.

A higher current just does the job quicker.

I would never leave any charger attached to a battery on a long term basis unless it was a 'smart' charger.

One day you will find your battery dry (and ruined).

#4 TD 42

TD 42

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

I also have a powrtouch mover fitted & have a 85ah battery. my normal proceedure is to charge my battery using a smart(multi stage) charger each time I return from a trip & before going on the next,this keeps the battery in good condition & so far I have had no problems with the battery which is now 4years old.
I have spent 6 weeks away (on leccy) & 5 days away off & still no probs using the mover
how ever the fitter was correct a van charger will only charge to around 80% capacity

Edited by TD 42, 20 November 2008 - 07:58 AM.

#5 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

Here is the spec for the Sargent 200 battery charger

http://www.sargentlt...nstructions.PDF

#6 Guest_beejay2_*

Guest_beejay2_*

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

I would say that is nonsense. It is time that will replace the charge, not the charging current.

A higher current just does the job quicker.

I would never leave any charger attached to a battery on a long term basis unless it was a 'smart' charger.

One day you will find your battery dry (and ruined).

The OP clearly stated the factory charger is a "trickle charge transformer". If this is correct then it will not fully charge any battery over any length of time. The Numax charger referred to should replace the factory charger and can be left connected, permanently, providing it is a multi stage type.

#7 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

http://www.leisureba...-10A-I6129.html

The spec for this Numax says that it charges at 10 amps max whereas the Sargeant gives 16 amps max

It seems to me that the Sargent should do the same if not a better job

http://www.sargentlt...nstructions.PDF

Edited by Watson(JohnG), 20 November 2008 - 04:03 PM.

#8 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

On-board power supplies fitted to modern caravans provide 10-20 amps at 13.8v - which is enough to charge a leisure battery up to 80% fully charged - it's the 13.8v that limits that %.

I don't understand why the unit fitted to a 2008 Sprite, built by Swift, will only provide a trickle charge.

Edited by RogerL, 20 November 2008 - 04:05 PM.

#9 mack100

mack100

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

If its any help, on my 2008 Swift Challenger they have fitted an NE143 charger/PSU. I quote:

" If fitted the NE143 charger/power supply unit
is a fully automatic 12V DC charger, which
can operate with a wide range of 230V AC
input voltages, and provides a stable output
voltage even under load. The unit can
provide up to 18 amp (@12V) continuously.
The battery charger uses an algorithm which
makes it possible to significantly reduce
charging time and avoid permanent damage
to batteries. It starts charging at maximum
current until the battery reaches 14.4v, then
charging takes place at a constant voltage of
13.8v. In this state the recharge current
gradually decreases and the battery can be
left permanently connected to the charger
without causing it any damage."

#10 colger23

colger23

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

My 110 ah battery is coming up to 4 years old, and was purchased when I had my first powrtouch mover fitted to my Bailey Provence. The mover was transferred to my current 'van three years ago and in the last month or so I upgraded to the 4 wheel drive system.

We normally go away every other weekend and as well as using the mover on some sites I always have to use the mover from storage before I go away and also when I return. We normally stay on CL's with EHU and although I have thought about it, I have never removed the battery to charge it and to date we have had no problems.

Gerry

#11 Rodders53

Rodders53

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

As others have said the charger / dc supplies supplied by Swift group in modern caravans seem to keep leisure batteries in good condition.

We had a 85Ah battery in our last Abbey Aventura for 5 years - a Powertouch fitted for half that time. Other than occasional topping up and regular charging every couple of months if the van was unused we did nothing and I planned to transfer it to the new van in March this year.

(In our previous Craftsman caravan the charger was rubbish and resulted in the need to replace the leisure battery every few years.)

My dealer gave me a 110Ah battery (at no charge) as they felt the mover "needed one" (it's made absolutely no difference imho).

The charger on your Sprite, as others have said, will not fully recharge the battery at 12.8V output - its probably very similar to the one in my old Abbey. The Numax charger may be better - or not - I can't find a full technical spec for it. The original fit unit is designed to supply 16A to the 12V system and not take anything from the battery - above this drain the battery supplies the current. Using the Numax charger instead of the original fit unit will mean the battery will come into play sooner. This may not matter - it depends on your use of 12V when on an electric hook-up.

In my new van I have the same NE143 unit as Mack100 describes. This unit should fully charge the leisure battery and keep it in tip-top condition. However I will continue to check the electrolyte levels and top up as needed and I won't leave it on all the time even though I could (we store the van at home).

#12 Watson(JohnG)

Watson(JohnG)

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

The 110 amp hour battery should give longer use for the mover
I haven't noticed any difference since I swapped to 110 amp hour but my battery is always on charge at home,on site or off the car ignition.
If the van was in storage more benefit might be apparent from a 110 amp hour battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users