12 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisUK

ChrisUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

I found lots of threads saying there is a big improvement when fitting shock absorbers, but can find no reference on the forum or else where on the internet to them being available for BWPs (Elddis Oddysy 482 - 2008). A further complication is that we have fitted a Powrmover in front of the axial. Any comments please.

#2 billy_bear

billy_bear

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:41 PM

I found lots of threads saying there is a big improvement when fitting shock absorbers, but can find no reference on the forum or else where on the internet to them being available for BWPs (Elddis Oddysy 482 - 2008). A further complication is that we have fitted a Powrmover in front of the axial. Any comments please.

hi chris
drop explorer an email i did tis last week to ask the same re my 2007 compass magnum classic and got the reply that without welding brackets on they cannot be fitted and are not required
hope this helps
bill

#3 ChrisUK

ChrisUK

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:42 PM

thanks
Chris

#4 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

Ive got shocks fitted to my BPW chassis, 2007 Compass Rallye 636.

Its a twin axle but i cant see anything special about how they're fixed.

#5 Lee E

Lee E

Ahh beer

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts
  • Interests:dont have any - I have children!

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

I have the details for suitable shock absorbers for a BPW chassis. I am afraid that it appears Billy bear was fobbed off by the person from explorer. They are not needed but alot of people do feel they are of immense benefit.

I cant upload the file since it is greater than 70kb (it is 74) so if admin if you want to PM me with your email adress, I can send it via that way.

Regards
Lee

#6 Guest_rob_jax_*

Guest_rob_jax_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:50 AM

Hi,

"Shock absorbers aren't needed" Well I doubt if you'd get any different answer from any company that doesn't fit them as standard, otherwise they'd be admitting that they are selling caravans with missing safety features...

Countries that have really researched safe towing speeds and the requirements for safe towing - like Germany - made shock absorbers (and six other features) a legal requirement if you want to tow at 60mph, otherwise you're restricted to 50 mph.

Technically the AL-KO and BPW rubber torsion axles are only mildly damped by the rubber axle inserts - fit a shock absorber and any oscillation is removed during the suspension rebound - the graphs I've seen indicate that the oscillations dies away roughly five or ten times faster with a shock absorber.

Robert

#7 Steve Drew

Steve Drew

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

Unfortunately BPW do 2 different chassis I found this out when I looked into them for mine 2007 Compass Omega there are no mounting points on the swing arms or chassis on them,
however the Rallye range do have them, but the lower ranges including the Omega,s do not at least mine has not, this information I got from the BPW rep at the NEC show and confirmed it by a visual inspection.
I was also told by the same rep that I should not need them if they were considered necessary they would have been fitted at the factory my comment was if I thought it towed suitably then I would not be looking to spend extra money. :(

Edited by Steve Drew, 11 August 2008 - 07:16 AM.

#8 Guest_tyke65_*

Guest_tyke65_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

BPW is a 'swing' chassis. Would fitting shock absorbers interfere with the swing? Must admit that my 2008 Odyssey 482 tows OK without them.

#9 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,602 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

BPW is a 'swing' chassis. Would fitting shock absorbers interfere with the swing? Must admit that my 2008 Odyssey 482 tows OK without them.

There may be some confusion about standard v retro-fit.
BPW (and ALKO) have two types of axle suspension, axles with rubber suspension and axles with steel torsion bars. The torsion bar version is fitted with dampers as standard as there is no self damping. Rubber suspension does not require dampers, but, as Rob has said, many continental vans have them as standard. There is no doubt that dampers improve the ride and for the extra cost if fitted as standard in production I wonder why they are only just creeping into U.K. production.
As far as fitting bracket to the swing arm I did it some years ago on an ALKO axle.

#10 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

My vans chassis is a V-Tech swing chassis with shocks fitted as standard.

#11 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:15 PM

Dampers are only creeping into UK production because manufacturers have been embarrassed by the number of caravanners retro-fitting them and getting good results for little outlay.

#12 colger23

colger23

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

Dampers are only creeping into UK production because manufacturers have been embarrassed by the number of caravanners retro-fitting them and getting good results for little outlay.

Not sure about that Roger although you could be right - I have been in contact with one manufacturer with suggestions for their new range of caravans, and interestingly that manufacturer is fitting shock absorbers throughout their new ranges. No further comment.

Gerry

#13 Hobbynut

Hobbynut

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

Could be worth a look
http://www.bpw.co.uk/index.html
Cheers
Hobbynut