20 replies to this topic

#1 macvan

macvan

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

A couple of months ago I clipped a kerb and scuffed a tyre, which was replaced with Matador brand (Trailermax being the original fitment).

Then recently i had the van serviced only to be advised that Matador tyres were being replaced by one caravan manufacturer due to concerns over quality, further more there was a nice pile of freshly removed Matador tyres in the corner of the workshop, also i seem to remember something about Matador tyres in a recent caravan magazine.

I contacted my local tyre depot who were unaware of the problem and could only offer to sell me another Matador tyre, calls to Kwik Fit also drew a blank.

Does anyone know where i can get a Trailermax or another brand they would like to recommend. (Cardiff Area)

Thanks all,

Macvan

#2 spawn of the devil

spawn of the devil

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

A couple of months ago I clipped a kerb and scuffed a tyre, which was replaced with Matador brand (Trailermax being the original fitment).

Then recently i had the van serviced only to be advised that Matador tyres were being replaced by one caravan manufacturer due to concerns over quality, further more there was a nice pile of freshly removed Matador tyres in the corner of the workshop, also i seem to remember something about Matador tyres in a recent caravan magazine.

I contacted my local tyre depot who were unaware of the problem and could only offer to sell me another Matador tyre, calls to Kwik Fit also drew a blank.

Does anyone know where i can get a Trailermax or another brand they would like to recommend. (Cardiff Area)

Thanks all,

Macvan

There is a batch of Matadors in specific sizes out there with problems, not all Matadors are affected. I do not know of any affected Matadors that have failed, the cracking was found during servicing. What size are you using?

Regards

David

#3 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

Any independent tyre dealer can get any tyre brand in - I got Kumho 8-ply when my OE tyres got to 5 years old.

#4 macvan

macvan

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

Any independent tyre dealer can get any tyre brand in - I got Kumho 8-ply when my OE tyres got to 5 years old.

Th

Thanks both, i will try to track down alternatives.

Cheers,

Macvan

#5 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

This may help:

http://www.etyres.co...ravan-tyres.htm

#6 GMC

GMC

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

There is a batch of Matadors in specific sizes out there with problems, not all Matadors are affected. I do not know of any affected Matadors that have failed, the cracking was found during servicing. What size are you using?

Regards

David

David,

Are you aware of the sizes of the (allegedly) defective Matadors? I had a pair (replacing Trailermax) fitted a few weeks ago and they survived a recent 3-week trip to Scotland and back without any problems. Nevertheless, I will need to keep a closer than normal watch on them now.

If anyone can identify the type/size I would be very grateful. The book says mine are 195/70 R14 L196, but until it's light tomorrow I can't check precisely what has been fitted (I know the size is correct but the speed/load ratings may be relevant). Fortunately I have Tyron bands fitted so if there is a failure I might just survive!

GMC

#7 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

http://www.caravanma...ador-tyres.html

#8 GMC

GMC

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

http://www.caravanma...ador-tyres.html

Thanks Brassneck - but unfortunately he still seems to be rather coy as to the actual sizes involved. (Interesting site, not one I've seen before.)

Thanks

GMC

#9 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:06 PM

On the Swift page lower down on the forum you should find the exact size and dates involved in the Matador recall, however yours being new tyres cannot I think be involved.
However more recently there have been further issues reported of premature cracking of Matador tyres sidewall rubber and this you should obviously watch out for.

One other very important point is tyre pressure, I don't know what the maximum pressure of your original tyres were or if infact your tyres were or are now of the reinforced type, but most reinforced tyres run at a maximum of 42psi, Matador reinforced however run at a maximum of 51psi.

Given both are reinforced, this would mean your handbooks stated pressure for your van will now be several psi to low for the Matadors??
You will need to check this out.

I might add to my knowledge there have been no reported problems with Matador other than with their 'reinforced' tyres, these are a different type tyre to 6 or 8 ply tyres

Edited by Arc Systems, 08 July 2008 - 10:12 PM.

#10 spawn of the devil

spawn of the devil

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

David,

Are you aware of the sizes of the (allegedly) defective Matadors? I had a pair (replacing Trailermax) fitted a few weeks ago and they survived a recent 3-week trip to Scotland and back without any problems. Nevertheless, I will need to keep a closer than normal watch on them now.

If anyone can identify the type/size I would be very grateful. The book says mine are 195/70 R14 L196, but until it's light tomorrow I can't check precisely what has been fitted (I know the size is correct but the speed/load ratings may be relevant). Fortunately I have Tyron bands fitted so if there is a failure I might just survive!

GMC

The ones I have been involved in are 205/65r15s from batches 40/05 to 46/05.

Regards

David

#11 Bill Lord

Bill Lord

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo mk4 Titanium 140
  • Caravan:Hymer Nova 470

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

I got exactly the same tyres for my Hymer last january when the van was 5 years old. It was 98 of money well spent, nice tyres.

#12 AlanB

AlanB

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning, Beer, a Granddaughter & a Wife

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

also you could try these http://www.camskill.co.uk/ they give very good service.

Alan.

#13 GMC

GMC

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. Yes, I was thinking that since mine are new tyres (and I have yet to check the date markings) whatever problems there may have been are now perhaps resolved.

The Bailey handbook says 36psi although I find that running them just a little higher seems to improve stability on corners.

Out of interest my pair of Matadors cost 97 fitted and balanced, and with the Tyron bands refitted of course. One retailer, when he quoted, asked whether these were fitted. When I confirmed that they were he wanted to add 25 to the quote. The firm that eventually supplied and fitted them made no extra charge - I know that because I only mentioned Tyron after he had quoted. Incidentally, they are reinforced, and the supplier said that Matadors were the only ones he could obtain - but surely there must be more than one manufacturer of this type of tyre?

GMC

#14 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

There's plenty of choice for reinforced tyres, but in the larger rim diameters - many SUVs need reinforced/XL tyres.

In smaller rim sizes (14" is small by modern car standards) there's more choice in 6-ply and 8-ply tyres which will take heavier loads than reinforced.

#15 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

Well straight away I'm thinking your original tyres were 42psi max and I know the Matadors will be 50 or 51psi, that's why your finding 36psi low because it's perhaps 7psi low!!.
Heres the contact details for Matador GB where you can request a correct pressure.

#16 GMC

GMC

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

Well straight away I'm thinking your original tyres were 42psi max and I know the Matadors will be 50 or 51psi, that's why your finding 36psi low because it's perhaps 7psi low!!.
Heres the contact details for Matador GB where you can request a correct pressure.

Thanks Gary, I will do that. However, you are talking about a maximum pressure. And the handbook is quite clear - 36psi for my model of 'van. Since Bailey know the max weight of the 'van presumably 36 comes from their calculation. I will certainly ask Matador, but then, if different from Bailey's figure, I won't know which is correct!

#17 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Gary, I will do that. However, you are talking about a maximum pressure. And the handbook is quite clear - 36psi for my model of 'van. Since Bailey know the max weight of the 'van presumably 36 comes from their calculation. I will certainly ask Matador, but then, if different from Bailey's figure, I won't know which is correct!

Bailey of course know the exact weight of your van but also the exact tyre they calculated that 36psi for; however if the tyres change then it's possible the pressure will need adjustment to suit the new tyre.

The crucial difference in this case and many others seems to be Matador tyres do not conform to recognised International tyre load/pressure standards for 'reinforced' tyres. Therefore any intermediate pressure read from a pressure chart constructed to international standards will not suit the Matador

Your new reinforced Matador tyre will me marked with an actual maximum pressure which I think you will find is 51psi together with a maximum load, all other tyres of the reinforced type are marked with 42psi as a maximum, the maximum load however remains the same for both types.
Last time I looked at a Bailey fitted tyre it was a Chinese brand at the lower maximum of 42psi

Therefore 36psi cannot be correct for both the Matador tyre and any other make that uses the lower maximum pressure.

In another recent case, original tyres with a handbook stated pressure of 39psi were replaced with apparently identical Matador tyres, phone call to Swift and CC technical confirmed this, correct pressure as supplied by Matador to suit their tyres not any others is 48psi !!

Of course I don't know anything of your case as an absolute fact, hence I suggested you find out for yourself by asking Matador and Bailey for sure but you must tell them exactly what tyres you have fitted.

Can I take it BTW your van weighs 1250kg?

#18 GMC

GMC

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

Bailey of course know the exact weight of your van but also the exact tyre they calculated that 36psi for; however if the tyres change then it's possible the pressure will need adjustment to suit the new tyre.

The crucial difference in this case and many others seems to be Matador tyres do not conform to recognised International tyre load/pressure standards for 'reinforced' tyres. Therefore any intermediate pressure read from a pressure chart constructed to international standards will not suit the Matador

Your new reinforced Matador tyre will me marked with an actual maximum pressure which I think you will find is 51psi together with a maximum load, all other tyres of the reinforced type are marked with 42psi as a maximum, the maximum load however remains the same for both types.
Last time I looked at a Bailey fitted tyre it was a Chinese brand at the lower maximum of 42psi

Therefore 36psi cannot be correct for both the Matador tyre and any other make that uses the lower maximum pressure.

In another recent case, original tyres with a handbook stated pressure of 39psi were replaced with apparently identical Matador tyres, phone call to Swift and CC technical confirmed this, correct pressure as supplied by Matador to suit their tyres not any others is 48psi !!

Of course I don't know anything of your case as an absolute fact, hence I suggested you find out for yourself by asking Matador and Bailey for sure but you must tell them exactly what tyres you have fitted.

Can I take it BTW your van weighs 1250kg?

Thanks Gary - yes, 1250 it is. I've just had a reply from Matador but they have only specified the max 50 psi (which I already knew from the tyre markings) so have asked them again what they consider the normal running pressure should be.

GMC

#19 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Gary - yes, 1250 it is. I've just had a reply from Matador but they have only specified the max 50 psi (which I already knew from the tyre markings) so have asked them again what they consider the normal running pressure should be.

GMC

That's interesting but I have a strong feeling I know why and it's very much to do with this

Particularly this bit;

However, the tire's maximum inflation pressure may be greater, such as 300 kPa (44 psi) in this example or even 350 kPa (51 psi). This is done to accommodate the vehicle manufacturers desire to tune the tires' high-speed capability, handling qualities and/or rolling resistance to better suit the vehicle.

It is important that owners consult their vehicle's tire information placard (usually found on the driver's door or doorjamb) or their owner's manual for the recommended tire pressures for their vehicle's driving conditions.

As you can read from the full link, the Matador or any tyre within a group 'should' nevertheless be printed with 'standard' pressure/load information, I'm waiting on an answer as to why not and hopefully the reasons for it

#20 GMC

GMC

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

That's interesting but I have a strong feeling I know why and it's very much to do with this

Particularly this bit;

However, the tire's maximum inflation pressure may be greater, such as 300 kPa (44 psi) in this example or even 350 kPa (51 psi). This is done to accommodate the vehicle manufacturers desire to tune the tires' high-speed capability, handling qualities and/or rolling resistance to better suit the vehicle.

It is important that owners consult their vehicle's tire information placard (usually found on the driver's door or doorjamb) or their owner's manual for the recommended tire pressures for their vehicle's driving conditions.

As you can read from the full link, the Matador or any tyre within a group 'should' nevertheless be printed with 'standard' pressure/load information, I'm waiting on an answer as to why not and hopefully the reasons for it

Gary,

This is the reply from Matador. Previously I had asked them why they were recommending around 48 psi for the Matadors when, according the the Bailey handbook, the previous tyres (Trailermax) were 35 psi. Not sure this answers the point so will contact Bailey:

In this case we are talking about passenger tyres which are reinforced (Extra Load) where in compliance with ETRTO STANDARD MANUAL it is recommended higher inflation than passenger tyres of standard construction which are not extra load.

For the tyres of the construction Extra load or commercial for use on caravans we recommend higher inflation as tyres are hardly exploited during camping, they are hardly loaded not only in dynamic but as well static exploitation.

Caravan is loaded by persons, self equipment and equipment for holidays.

Caravan during the long stay in parking place or in place of holiday is under risk in case inflation is not controlled weekly that inflation of tyres will drop down by itself.

In case tyres are not controlled and inflated regularly they become under inflated which may lead to shorten lifetime of the tyres and worsening of handling of the tyres on caravan especially in the case that the caravan is fully loaded.

Best Regards

Jan Marecek

Matador UK Ltd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users