#1 Gonzo

Gonzo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Discovery 3, Bessacarr Cameo 625gl

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Returned from a week away on Tuesday and washed the van on Wednesday. Noticed stress cracks on outer sidewalls of 2 leading tyres ( Bessacarr 625 2006 model, delivered Nov 2005) Never been impressed with Matador so yesterday had 4 Firestones fitted ( Same size, speed rating and load rating) You could say the tyre fitter was less than impressed with Matador and it does make you wonder that a tyre fitted just over 2 years ago and still having 6mm tread left should start showing signs of failure. I make no claim from Swift as I presume the tyre warranty lays with the manafacturer and is 12 months.
What I do make is a suggestion to Swift. Do not use a budget tyre on any Caravan, especially one costing 20,000. I could have bought a Matador for less than 30. I spent just over 50 to get what I know is a much better quality tyre. I would think that Swift could get the difference per van to 20. I would think that the first Caravan Manafacturer to agree a solus deal with a major Tyre Manafacturer and advertise the fact will gain a real commercial advantage. Think of it--- Swift and Michelin--ensuring your safety.
O.K end of little moan. Still a great Caravan!
Cheers
Bernie

#2 BlakesWig

BlakesWig

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning
    Cruises
    Motor Bike racing
    LCFC

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:15 PM

Took the wheels off our new Pageant last week to take them to be balanced. The alloy rims are made in Taiwan and the tyres are a 'never heard of make' made in China (where else?)

What happened to the good old Conti which seemed to be pretty universal and a mainstream make?

All to save a few s.

#3 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

look at this previous thread

We are asking our customers to check the tyres fitted to their caravans for the following information:
Tyre Size 195/70 R 14 96S MP42 Elite Matador
DOT Number 40/05 through to 46/05
If your tyres fall into the above category we would ask that you contact your supplying Swift Group Dealer who will be able to arrange for the tyres to be replaced.

Matador tyres recall

dont know if it is the same as yours -- but it might be worth looking..

Maurice

Edited by Fibre, 21 March 2008 - 03:22 PM.

#4 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,567 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

Noticed stress cracks on outer sidewalls of 2 leading tyres ( Bessacarr 625 2006 model, delivered Nov 2005)

As Maurice correctly stated, the matador tyres affected by this recall were tyre size - 195/70 R 14 96S MP42 Elite Matador DOT Numbers - 4005 through to 4605. These tyres were manufactured between week 40 and 46 in 2005. If your tyres fall outside this range they are not affected by the recall. I know this is a little late for you Bernie, but if you're still concerned, it may still pay to drop a line to Jan Marecek who is the MD for Matador Tyres - Jan.Marecek@Matador.co.uk
Regards,
Gordon.

#5 SwiftGroup

SwiftGroup

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Caravans, Motorhomes and Holiday Homes

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:42 PM

What I do make is a suggestion to Swift. Do not use a budget tyre on any Caravan, especially one costing 20,000. I could have bought a Matador for less than 30. I spent just over 50 to get what I know is a much better quality tyre. I would think that Swift could get the difference per van to 20. I would think that the first Caravan Manafacturer to agree a solus deal with a major Tyre Manafacturer and advertise the fact will gain a real commercial advantage. Think of it--- Swift and Michelin--ensuring your safety.
Cheers
Bernie

bernie
The Matador tyres used by Swift are manufactured in Slovakia in one of the most modern tyre factories in Europe. This factory also manufactures tyres for Continental brand too. All tyres the Swift Group use have to meet the relevent standards and codes of practice before we would consider them for our products and the factory has to have relevent quality standards within their factories also.

There are alot of sizes that Michellin, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Continental etc don't manufacture and wont for our industry because of our smaller volumes in comparison to the Automotive industry so in some cases (not all) we have no choice other than to use the likes of Matador brands who are interested in our industry volumes.

Having said all this I do hear what you are saying and I take on board your point.

Thanks - Andy

#6 COAST590

COAST590

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

chrysler issued a recall not long back on the handbrake lever, took it in got it sorted no charge do i never buy one again ......of course imo if a manufacturer issues a recall they are being responsible and who is perfect and your tyres should never get to that state anyway as you should check them after each trip ,feel a bit stupid if you notice a 6inch nail in tyre from your last hol night before next big trip

#7 Gonzo

Gonzo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:03 AM

Thanks Andy for your reply. I guess we will have to agree to differ on this one as I seemed to be able to find all the sizes you need on a quick check of major brand web sites.

Gordon, many thanks for your reply re recall.My tyres were not part of this.

Coast 590, I suggest you read my mail again. You seem to be confused.

Cheers
Bernie.

#8 COAST590

COAST590

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

hi you seem a little confused yourself who said i was replying to your specific bit of this thread all i am saying is most caravans will never cover the mileage to wear out tyres and to fit top notch tyres to a van is a personal choice i have matador tyres on mine and ive got no problems so why should i pay more for say michelin and just because a tyre fitter at your local dont like them how does that make them a bad tyre...... pete :D

#9 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

There IS a problem getting tyres --- especially in FRANCE -- I damaged a sidewall - torn a small 1" flap off the side - and decided to take it to be replaced etc -- NO way -- they simply do NOT do caravan tyres in France... without waiting for one from a depot which might take a week.. in the end I had the side wall Vulcanised by the French dealer -- the good thing about tyre repairs in France though is that they have to give you a "Certificate of Repair" to meet the code Napoleon -- something that our tyre people might do...for the relevant code

That is why now I always ensure that my spare is good -- and not only that I have insurance with the CC Red Pennant -- who know of this problem and will ship TWO tyres to you if you have a blow out in France -- so that you have the same on one axle..

Caravan tyres aren't universally available

That is why I was so cautious in the first time this was brought up in these forums some time ago... I checked and double checked --
Thanks to Swift -- I was reassured that my Matadors were not in the faulty batch..

but always it pays to check...

Maurice

#10 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 04:22 PM

Tyres on most modern caravans are reinforced or light van tyres (often marked 6PR, 8PR or LV). There should be no problem getting them anywhere in Europe, after all, they do have commercial vehicles out there.

#11 Guest_rob_jax_*

Guest_rob_jax_*

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

Returned from a week away on Tuesday and washed the van on Wednesday. Noticed stress cracks on outer sidewalls of 2 leading tyres ( Bessacarr 625 2006 model, delivered Nov 2005) Never been impressed with Matador so yesterday had 4 Firestones fitted ( Same size, speed rating and load rating) You could say the tyre fitter was less than impressed with Matador and it does make you wonder that a tyre fitted just over 2 years ago and still having 6mm tread left should start showing signs of failure. I make no claim from Swift as I presume the tyre warranty lays with the manafacturer and is 12 months.
Cheers
Bernie

Bernie,

Matador tyres are a standard fitment on Eriba Touring caravans, and there's been an ongoing series of discussions between the Dutch and UK Eriba Forums - generally outside of the bad batch no one has had any real problems in the UK, but our Dutch colleagues with a higher percentage of motor-movers have noticed an unrepresentative amount of premature side-wall cracking.

The independent tyre tests on Matador tyres indicate that they are a good tyre with good wear properties, but for 2008 onwards, Hymer NL and UK have switched to what many people think of as a very good quality white van tyre - the GT Maxmiler...

And the Eriba Tritons and Trolls that were "affected" cost between 13000 and 15000 (basic)

Robert

Edited by rob_jax, 22 March 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#12 COAST590

COAST590

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

yes but they never wear them out as they spend all their time blocking the ports to here :lol: :lol:

#13 COAST590

COAST590

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

what is the life of a tyre :huh: about 3 years

#14 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

I may have said this before but I'm at a complete loss as to why it's thought necessary to fit expensive tyres to a caravan?
First and foremost and as much as owners might think otherwise it's simply a trailer :huh: and therefore requires little in the way of road holding as compared to the car, so no advantage there.
Expensive tyres should last longer before they wear out but we know caravan tyres die of old age long before the tread wears out so no advantage there either.

I'm with Rob as I've run on Maxmilers for years now but I doubt theres any real difference with Matador, there both cheap sorry budget tyres.

What I would ask though is why caravan manufactures don't follow tyre manufactures specific advice regarding loading or rather under loading tyres used on caravans?

Slightly off topic but I would also ask why it's not deemed necessary to balance a caravan wheel and tyre??

#15 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,567 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:30 AM

A couple of points I would comment on Gary...

First and foremost and as much as owners might think otherwise it's simply a trailer...

Agreed

...and therefore requires little in the way of road holding as compared to the car...

Not so sure about that. It's still a road going vehicle, whether or not an engine is fitted. Isn't it?

Expensive tyres should last longer before they wear out but we know caravan tyres die of old age long before the tread wears out so no advantage there either.

True of many caravans, but I have worn out (and had to replace) the rear set on twin axle 'vans within three years, well before the predicted life of 5 to 7 years!

What I would ask though is why caravan manufactures don't follow tyre manufactures specific advice regarding loading or rather under loading tyres used on caravans?

Interesting reading

Slightly off topic but I would also ask why it's not deemed necessary to balance a caravan wheel and tyre??

I have the wheels balanced on our caravans, simply because the caravans shake themselves to bits if I don't! This is usually manifested by the space heater and/or cooker fixing screws working loose.
Regards,
Gordon.

#16 COAST590

COAST590

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:21 AM

hi gordon just out of interest how many miles did you get out of those tyres ...also i always balance tyres

Edited by COAST590, 23 March 2008 - 11:25 AM.

#17 Gordon

Gordon

Gordon.

• CT Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,567 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

hi gordon just out of interest how many miles did you get out of those tyres...

Typically around 15,000miles for the rear pair, but more like twice that for the front. The only front tyre I changed was because of a puncture, otherwise the caravans have been traded in with (just) legal tread depths on the front axle at around 5 years old. The most recent twin axle was traded in at two years old, but the rear set were showing signs of wear on the outer edges from scrubbing on corners. We have gone back to a single axle tourer this year, so I would not expect to replace the tyres on this one whilst we own it.
However it could well be a twin again next time if I can sneak an order in without "her" knowledge... ;)
Gordon.

#18 Lee.B

Lee.B

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

I know that "wear and tear" is not covered on warranty but I would have thought
cracking tyres would be.
Its not the tread that has worn after all... and on a 2 year old van?

#19 Gonzo

Gonzo

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Coast 590--sorry to ruffle your feathers. Each to his own!
Rob_ Jax, Thanks for your comment on Eriba and motor movers. Ihave a carver mover fitted and the cracked tyres were on the front wheels where the rollers grip. If anyone from Truma/Carver looks on this site, can we ask for a comment. Has anyone else with a twin axle and a mover had a problem? Swift-- Have you heard anything?

Thanks
Bernie

#20 Arc Systems

Arc Systems

Five Star

• Trade
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:12 PM

Just to clarify what I was getting at, expensive tyres are expensive due to research, rubber compounds, longevity of life etc. Overall the car handles better and more predictable due to that better design.
Budget tyres use older tried and trusted design and cheaper softer compounds, they still grip very well but will catch you out with understeer/oversteer.
The trailer then is not going to benefit from those handling characteristics, but it will not suffer lack of grip and may even benefit from softer tyre construction?.

Tyre life would be important for those doing the mileage but I remember a 'Kirby' salesman trying to get 1000 out of me for a vacuum cleaner that would last a lifetime, unlike my Hoover that would only last ten years if lucky, I said I could by a dozen Hoovers for a grand :P

Not quite the same but I happily pay 100 a corner for the car but 35 for GT Maxmilers on the van, most caravanners just don't wear tyres out.

As for balance, I'm old school, anything that rotates must be balanced, your lucky if the fire only comes loose, that same vibration is effecting the whole van!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users