19 replies to this topic

#1 klyne

klyne

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • Interests:European travel, photography, my website

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:11 PM

Has anyone been to the Keukenhof Gardens in Holland? I appreciate my next question will depend on the weather preceding a visit but is early May too late?

Thanks

David

#2 JanB

JanB

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:55 PM

We've been in the first week of May - flowers and colours were superb. I think they plant to take advantage of the various length of flowering of the different bulbs. I see that they are open till 18th May this year. But it really does depend on the weather - wonder if these winds are hitting them.
I would say risk it David - if it is only half as good as when we went it is still better than any other flower display I have seen.
Jan

#3 Davidc

Davidc

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:30 PM

David

We went some years ago. Can tell you exactly when later this evening when I check my travel log. I am not a gardener in any sense of the word but it was a fabulous experience. We had rain in the morning of our visit but then it was sunny and warm the rest of the day.

We had a week at Koningshof and I think that was the only rain of the week

David

#4 chapmag

chapmag

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

David,

Notwithstanding the impact of weather I'm sure you'll be fine. They do plant to cover the whole period they are open.

We lived close by for 3 years in the early 80's.... we enjoyed it so much we are returning next spring (may see you there) for our 35th Wedding Anniversary.

As has been said it is an excellent show whether or not you are a gardner!

#5 Elldisrod

Elldisrod

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:none

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

My other half is the bulb buyer (among other things) for the garden centre she works for
http://www.coolings.co.uk/

And because of that we make the trip every other year, generally late April early May which should get you to see the blooms at their best , nature is a fickle thing !
As well as the gardens there are show houses with all the blooms presented under cover , so as to cover the opening period ,so you wont miss a thing

This year we are out there 18/21 April , one week later is the flower parade which runs for about 70km through the area , we missed that as accommodation was fully booked , and we are not caravanning tch tch , Last year it was fantastic

This year we are lording it in one of the best hotels near the Keukenhof , The Hotel van Oranje in Nordwijk

I am sure you will have already done so but all info is here

http://www.keukenhof...nm/english.html

A lot of hotels etc have deals which include tickets , worth alook

Edited by Elldisrod, 14 March 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#6 Rostrevor

Rostrevor

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Travelling, Sea Fishing, Good Food, Wine, Beer, <br />Socailising

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

We have visited a couple of times around late April.
Keukenhof is planted for full displays throughout its opening season.
When we were there two years ago even though the bulb fields were a couple of weeks behind owing to the poor weather, the displays were superb. It certainly is well worth the visit.
I'll put a couple of pics on the Gallery.

#7 jaymac

jaymac

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

There's a flower parade at Spalding, May bank holiday weekend I think, which might be a bit closer!

#8 Davidc

Davidc

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

David

We went on the 20 April 1998 and my diary says it was warm and sunny all day apart from a short shower about mid day. The diary further records that we spent this time in a bar taking lunch!!

I do remember however that the scent and aroma from the flowers after the rain was just fabulous.

It is answering questions like this that makes me want to check the diary and see if I can fit another visit in this year!!

David

#9 klyne

klyne

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. We plan to leave the UK on 30th April and tour through Germany and parts of Austria but are looking to start via Bruges and Keukenhof. We would be at the Gardens in the first week of May which from what you have all said would be OK. Until I looked at Autoroute I did not realise that Keukenhof was so near to Koningshof where we stayed in 1993!

David

#10 kiaman

kiaman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life to the full!

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:52 AM

Hi David

We are leaving to go to Keukenhoef on 6th April, it is our 2nd visit in 3 years - last time we went at the end of April and it was superb. A lot will depend on the weather as to how far advanced or behind normal schedule the plants are, but the season goes on to the end of May so there will be plenty to see.
It is an easy journey for us as we only live about 20mins from Harwich and then it's about 1hr to Konigshof. You can buy your tickets for Kerkenhoef online before you go.
Enjoy the gardens they are terrific!

Alan P.

#11 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi David. Looking at my log book I see that we left for Holland on the 9th April 1987. We stayed at Koningshof and as you say, Keukenhof was quite close. I also have photo albums taken at the time and the gardens and surrounding bulb fields were in full bloom. Also I see from my pictures that we are well-wrapped against a cold wind.

#12 Elldisrod

Elldisrod

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

We are off to the gardens this weekend , has anyone been in the last couple of weeks , and can report back on the progress of the blooms

#13 kiaman

kiaman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:51 PM

We are off to the gardens this weekend , has anyone been in the last couple of weeks , and can report back on the progress of the blooms

We got back from there on Friday and to be honest the tulips were not yet at their best, hopefully by the time you get there they will be a bit further on. We went 3 years ago and were a couple of weeks later that time and the place was gorgeous, so hopefully your timing will be just right.
Don't know where you are staying, but if it is at Koningshof they sell entrance tickets at a slight discount in the site office.

#14 Elldisrod

Elldisrod

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

We got back from there on Friday and to be honest the tulips were not yet at their best, hopefully by the time you get there they will be a bit further on. We went 3 years ago and were a couple of weeks later that time and the place was gorgeous, so hopefully your timing will be just right.
Don't know where you are staying, but if it is at Koningshof they sell entrance tickets at a slight discount in the site office.

Thanks for that ,
We are staying in Nordwijk , got a fantastic deal at a top hotel ,
With regard to tickets , my wife is a buyer for the Garden centre she works for , and one of her suppliers has gone better than tickets at a discount , how about FREE :D

#15 klyne

klyne

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the update, I hope there are some blooms left for the 5th/6th of May! I was thinking about ordering tickets online but I will wait until I get to Koningshof. Incidentally I was intending to use Camping Cheques but they don't accept them during the first two weeks of May so I have booked the site via the Caravan Club to save Euros whilst we are there.

David

#16 kiaman

kiaman

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the update, I hope there are some blooms left for the 5th/6th of May! I was thinking about ordering tickets online but I will wait until I get to Koningshof. Incidentally I was intending to use Camping Cheques but they don't accept them during the first two weeks of May so I have booked the site via the Caravan Club to save Euros whilst we are there.

David

The reason for that is that the Dutch schools are on holiday then!

#17 klyne

klyne

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

The reason for that is that the Dutch schools are on holiday then!

I suspected that was the case. Also in Belgium and Germany!

David

#18 Elldisrod

Elldisrod

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

Well ! we had a fantastic week end , went to the Keukenhof Sunday and after a bit of a grey start it turned into a warm sunny day and we ended walking around in shirt sleeves ,and the old dome got a bit sunburnt , still it was worth it

The blooms are now well on their way , and the next two or three weeks ( if the weather stays mild ) should see them at their best ,

A tip is to get in as SOON as the doors open at 0800 , the coach parties do not arrive until about 1000 , and that two hours the gardens are quiet, and with few people around , the ideal time to take photos that dont include someone walking in front of the camera at the vital moment or a Japanese tourist ( bless them :D ) posing in front of every flower bed, mind you they are very useful if you need a group photo with all the members of your party including the cameraman :) , you will have to return the favour though :P

Posted Image

Edited by Elldisrod, 22 April 2008 - 05:03 PM.

#19 Paul Lockwood

Paul Lockwood

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:IT / Photography / Caravanning

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:49 PM

David

Just seen your title and this brings back some memories. We went there a few years back on a coach holiday. What a wonderful place.

For a good idea on when to travel check out the local bus tours, they will give you an idea of teh most popular times.

Paul

#20 klyne

klyne

Five Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

I thought I would let you all know that we went to the Keukenhof Gardens today and have to say that it is an amazing place. We were blessed with a gorgeous day. Would certainly recommend it. Thanks for all the input.

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users