• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 vaughan

vaughan

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Volvo cars, Holidays (all types not just caravaning)

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hi

Are you allowed to stay overnight at Dover ferry port? We are travelling on a Thursday on 9-25am ferry and will be going down on Wednesday afternoon arriving around 9pm.

Vaughan :D

#2 west-is-best

west-is-best

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

Don't risk a sleepleness night on the Dockside.

Stay at Lenacres Farm CL - 10 mins from Dover Port at 8 / night including electric.

#3 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts
  • Interests:Caravaning - Nice wine - France - Paris

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

We always -- for the past 7 years - have caught the late night ferry from Dover -- from 22.00 --- to 01.30 hours.

No you cannot stay over night at the docks in Dover -- the longest you can stay is 2 hours before your scheduled departure time..

But you CAN - and we do -- Stay at the docks in Calais..

We get straight off the ferry and head toward the departure dock car park and with in half an hour of getting off the ferry we can have our legs down and kipping..

As I said we have now done this for several years -- the benefit is that you can get a good nights sleep -- after the ferry -- and then set of refreshed at ~8/9 in the morning...

Get a late night fery !!!

Maurice

#4 Jaydug

Jaydug

Five Star

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

Over-night parking is not allowed at Dover docks but it is possible to stop on the Esplanade and Marine Drive. Enter at the entrance for the old Hoverport terminus then turn left. There are some dedicated caravan parking bays there and just across the road there's a hotel which seems to be open all night.

#5 Guest_OBNTOTLNT_*

Guest_OBNTOTLNT_*

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:11 PM

Over-night parking is not allowed at Dover docks but it is possible to stop on the Esplanade and Marine Drive. Enter at the entrance for the old Hoverport terminus then turn left. There are some dedicated caravan parking bays there and just across the road there's a hotel which seems to be open all night.

sounds what we are looking for . getting the 5.30 boat .. wont have to disturb a CL as we leave

thanks for the tip

#6 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

sounds what we are looking for . getting the 5.30 boat .. wont have to disturb a CL as we leave

thanks for the tip

If you caught the midnight boat -- you could sleep on the docks at Calais -- and be refreshed when you start!
Maurice

#7 Guest_OBNTOTLNT_*

Guest_OBNTOTLNT_*

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

If you caught the midnight boat -- you could sleep on the docks at Calais -- and be refreshed when you start!
Maurice

yes, but the idea is to get a bit of kip before crossing, get clear of Calais for a couple of hours, couple of hours kip and move on till evening

suits us

#8 Andrew D

Andrew D

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Getting away from it all! Motorbikes & I make BioDiesel

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

We stayed at dover just past the Hoverport, very quiet and we got a good night sleep. Just be aware that the parking wardens can give a ticket after (I think) 10am.

#9 Paulines7

Paulines7

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, wildlife, gardening, football on TV.

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

yes, but the idea is to get a bit of kip before crossing, get clear of Calais for a couple of hours, couple of hours kip and move on till evening

suits us

When you stop for your two hours kip after Calais, make sure that there are several caravans in the Aire.

We pulled into one for a quick bite to eat in the van and to have a doze. We were the only caravan outfit and there were no other cars, lorries or other vehicles there. The caravan area of the Aire was surrounded by trees and therefore very remote. We then noticed two car drivers acting suspiciously....they kept driving past us and going the wrong way round the one way system and were using mobile phones. They parked out of sight and after about 15 minutes one of the drivers walked towards our caravan. When he saw us eating our sandwiches and that we had a dog, he turned round and walked back. There was no doubt in our minds that we were about to be robbed especially if we had a nap. As soon as he was out of sight, we got out of the caravan, quickly took up the stays and were out of there in a flash. It was very scary.

#10 MauriceH

MauriceH

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,653 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:42 PM

When you stop for your two hours kip after Calais, make sure that there are several caravans in the Aire.

That is why -- after all the scares about gassing and robbin we stop on the docks at Calais -- behind barbed wire - under flood lights wirh men with guns on patrol.. and surprisingly no noise of traffic.

Close the curtains -- at 00.30am after getting off the boat... get up at 8am cook breakfast and away on holiday -- totaly refreshed after a good nights sleep..
Dont forget to add an hour to your clock..

Maurice

#11 vaughan

vaughan

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:13 PM

Don't risk a sleepleness night on the Dockside.

Stay at Lenacres Farm CL - 10 mins from Dover Port at 8 / night including electric.

Hi

Ive took your advice and have booked Lenacre Farm for one night. The owner told me if I had sat nav not to use it when we got close as it can send you down a very narrow lane but to use the directions from the book. I presume you have stayed there so is there any advice you can give us regarding directions as I have a long outfit and don't want to get stuck.

Thanks

Vaughan

#12 west-is-best

west-is-best

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:30 PM

Hi

Ive took your advice and have booked Lenacre Farm for one night. The owner told me if I had sat nav not to use it when we got close as it can send you down a very narrow lane but to use the directions from the book. I presume you have stayed there so is there any advice you can give us regarding directions as I have a long outfit and don't want to get stuck.

Thanks

Vaughan

Vaughan,

Directions here:

Turn Left off A2 (Canterbury - Dover) at Whitfield roundabout onto Sandwich Rd (sign posted Whitfield Services);

in m turn sharp Left into Forge Lane (2nd Left past Royal Oak PH);

in 350yds turn Right to farmhouse.

Follow signs to site (pay in farmhouse on way in);

My outfit is circa 44 foot long and weighs over 4t and we got in no problem.

Sandwich lane has McDonalds, a shop and an Indian Takeaway (recomended) which is ideal for a late night arrival.

Any queries please ask / PM.

Kev

#13 beejay

beejay

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:52 PM

If you stay on the docks at Calais there are free showers in the toilet area upstairs in the terminal building.

#14 vaughan

vaughan

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

Vaughan,

Directions here:

Turn Left off A2 (Canterbury - Dover) at Whitfield roundabout onto Sandwich Rd (sign posted Whitfield Services);

in m turn sharp Left into Forge Lane (2nd Left past Royal Oak PH);

in 350yds turn Right to farmhouse.

Follow signs to site (pay in farmhouse on way in);

My outfit is circa 44 foot long and weighs over 4t and we got in no problem.

Sandwich lane has McDonalds, a shop and an Indian Takeaway (recomended) which is ideal for a late night arrival.

Any queries please ask / PM.

Kev

Thanks Kev, Indian sounds good to me after all that travelling.

Vaughan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users