#1 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Hi all,

we've just purchased a brand new 2008 model year Coachman Laser 640/4. We bought it at the NEC show and it was one of the few models we hadn't ordered any brochures on before we went, so it came as a surprise that the van we liked the most was the one we knew least about.

Anyway a couple of weeks have gone by since the show and now we have a few questions.

Does anyone know if it has an onboard water tank? None of the brochures mention it so I guess thats a no.
What is the build quality like of modern Coachman Caravans? We currently have an Amara 420/4 (2000 MY), will the new one be as well built as the old one?
Finally what accessories do you get with vans these days? Its been a while since we bought a brand new one.

We pick the new van up in Feb and its very exciting. Have we made a good choice?

Many thanks

#2 oxter

oxter

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Towcar:Honda CRV ctdi 2.2
  • Caravan:Lunar Stellar and Carlight Commander 152

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hi all,

we've just purchased a brand new 2008 model year Coachman Laser 640/4. We bought it at the NEC show and it was one of the few models we hadn't ordered any brochures on before we went, so it came as a surprise that the van we liked the most was the one we knew least about.

Anyway a couple of weeks have gone by since the show and now we have a few questions.

Does anyone know if it has an onboard water tank? None of the brochures mention it so I guess thats a no.
What is the build quality like of modern Coachman Caravans? We currently have an Amara 420/4 (2000 MY), will the new one be as well built as the old one?
Finally what accessories do you get with vans these days? Its been a while since we bought a brand new one.

We pick the new van up in Feb and its very exciting. Have we made a good choice?

Many thanks

Welcome Mr Bond

You'll see some mixed reviews here http://www.caravanta...h...=14285&st=0 but remember that few people write in to say theirs is ok, while most with a problem will say so. I'm well pleased with mine (despite small problems) and with the dealer who sold it.

#3 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

we've just purchased a brand new 2008 model year Coachman Laser 640/4. Does anyone know if it has an onboard water tank? None of the brochures mention it so I guess thats a no.

Many thanks

You've spent 19,000 and you don't know what you're getting?

#4 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

You've spent 19,000 and you don't know what you're getting?

Ha hmmm well no. I've been caravanning since the early 80's so what its all about, just a few 'techy' things I wasn't sure on. I know it has air-con....it says how much I paid for it on the invoice :unsure:

#5 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

Welcome Mr Bond

You'll see some mixed reviews here http://www.caravanta...h...=14285&st=0 but remember that few people write in to say theirs is ok, while most with a problem will say so. I'm well pleased with mine (despite small problems) and with the dealer who sold it.

Thanks Oxter. I know from experience that people mostly just write in about the bad stuff, and I've read of bad experience in all the other manaufactures sections on this website so no worries.

Annoyingly the Coachman website (www.coachman.co.uk) only has the 2007 range listed, I know the 2008 is not much different its just I'm excited to see 'my' van and get even more info on it.

I suppose spending over 20k on a caravan might seem silly, but if a job's worth doing...... :rolleyes:

#6 mark/karen

mark/karen

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, grandchildren and dogs.

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

Hi all,

Many thanks

Firstly congratulations.....In my opinion you've bought a superb caravan.
We have looked at many lasers at the dealers and shows...superb build quality etc.
We chose the Avondale Landranger because our towcar would firstly struggle at the weight of these vans (couldn't afford to change just yet) and the price of the Laser was out of our bracket.
As for the extras...(we looked at the 2007 models which didn't have onboard tank) Dvd upgrade, Twin Alko secure Locks x2, Alko Safe, plus all the small extras you get with new vans, step etc.
My parents bought a VIP brand new 2005 model in 2007 and have never looked back since. No problems whatsoever.
Hope this helps and wish you many happy years with your new van.

#7 RichardC

RichardC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hi

We also ordered a new Coachman Laser at the NEC (645/4 - I think is the model number - anyway it has fixed twin beds). We wanted to change from our existing fixed bed as SWMBO is not getting any younger and she felt that climbing over me (and if you see me you will know that this is some climb!!) is something that she could do without (although I enjoy it!!). We looked at all the fixed twin bed and island bed models at the show and as soon as SWMBO walked into the Coachman she said "this has the wow factor".

Still we were spending over 20k so we went round all the vans again and even went back the next day (just to make sure) and poked and prodded all the vans on our short list. All in all I am very impressed with the build quality of the Coachman but appreciate that there can be "rogues" with any mass produced caravans. This is why I have it in writing that I can have warranty work carried out on my van at a dealer close to home (the dealer we are buying from is 300 miles away). It would not, however, be a huge problem if we had to take it back to the dealer but I wanted something from them.

Anyway I specifically asked about the onboard water tank and no it does not have it fitted as standard. I was told that it can be fitted as an extra and I am still mulling this over in my mind. We have had our Bailey for two years now and have never used the onboard water tank in it but then again we have not caravanned during the winter until now.

As regards the "accessories" you get I believe that it is very few but we will just transfer everything from our existing van so I am not concerned about that.

We are also getting our new van in February.

I hope that you have many years of trouble free caravanning with your new purchase.

All the best.

Cheers

#8 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:32 AM

Hi

We also ordered a new Coachman Laser at the NEC (645/4 - I think is the model number - anyway it has fixed twin beds). We wanted to change from our existing fixed bed as SWMBO is not getting any younger and she felt that climbing over me (and if you see me you will know that this is some climb!!) is something that she could do without (although I enjoy it!!). We looked at all the fixed twin bed and island bed models at the show and as soon as SWMBO walked into the Coachman she said "this has the wow factor".

Still we were spending over 20k so we went round all the vans again and even went back the next day (just to make sure) and poked and prodded all the vans on our short list. All in all I am very impressed with the build quality of the Coachman but appreciate that there can be "rogues" with any mass produced caravans. This is why I have it in writing that I can have warranty work carried out on my van at a dealer close to home (the dealer we are buying from is 300 miles away). It would not, however, be a huge problem if we had to take it back to the dealer but I wanted something from them.

Anyway I specifically asked about the onboard water tank and no it does not have it fitted as standard. I was told that it can be fitted as an extra and I am still mulling this over in my mind. We have had our Bailey for two years now and have never used the onboard water tank in it but then again we have not caravanned during the winter until now.

As regards the "accessories" you get I believe that it is very few but we will just transfer everything from our existing van so I am not concerned about that.

We are also getting our new van in February.

I hope that you have many years of trouble free caravanning with your new purchase.

All the best.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. I'm not too bothered it doesn't have a water tank as its one of those things we would never use anyway.

I believe your van is the same as our except ours has a fixed bed instead of 2 singles. And agreed is did have that extra 'something' above the other vans we looked at...although you pay the price in terms of money and weight. We had intended to purchase either a Schooner or a Conqueror but after seeing the Laser the others felt like they were lacking that final quality touch.

Looking forward to Feb when we pick it up

Cheers

#9 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

Firstly congratulations.....In my opinion you've bought a superb caravan.
We have looked at many lasers at the dealers and shows...superb build quality etc.
We chose the Avondale Landranger because our towcar would firstly struggle at the weight of these vans (couldn't afford to change just yet) and the price of the Laser was out of our bracket.
As for the extras...(we looked at the 2007 models which didn't have onboard tank) Dvd upgrade, Twin Alko secure Locks x2, Alko Safe, plus all the small extras you get with new vans, step etc.
My parents bought a VIP brand new 2005 model in 2007 and have never looked back since. No problems whatsoever.
Hope this helps and wish you many happy years with your new van.

Cheers for your input guys, I appreciate that.

#10 RichardC

RichardC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Oxter. I know from experience that people mostly just write in about the bad stuff, and I've read of bad experience in all the other manaufactures sections on this website so no worries.

Annoyingly the Coachman website (www.coachman.co.uk) only has the 2007 range listed, I know the 2008 is not much different its just I'm excited to see 'my' van and get even more info on it.

I suppose spending over 20k on a caravan might seem silly, but if a job's worth doing...... :rolleyes:

Hi Mannors

Not sure if you're aware but the Coachman website has now been updated for the 2008 models.

Cheers

Richard

#11 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hi Mannors

Not sure if you're aware but the Coachman website has now been updated for the 2008 models.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard, I had been keeping an eye on it and see it was updated with the 2008MY caravans. To be honest its not the most informative website in the world, although the basics are there I guess. Interestingly I campared the Laser 640 with a Abbey Vogue 620 (my brother-in-law bought one on the same day we did) and although it is 2" wider and about the same length it is 200kg LIGHTER than the Laser. I wonder why that is? Surely the air-con wont add that much?

Hope its the added Coachman 'quality' :D

#12 RichardC

RichardC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:27 PM

Hi Mannors

You are right about the website I must admit I have seen better.

Like you say I don't think the air conditioning will be as heavy as that so lets just believe that the extra is the Coachman quality.

By the way talking of weights I am having a Powrtouch 4wd motor mover fitted and it appears that this weighs in at about 70 kgs so I have contacted Coachman and they have said that they can uprate the MTPLM to 1900 kgs for 30. I have contacted my dealer to ask them to put an amendment through so that this can be done at the time of production.

Cheers

Richard

#13 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hi Mannors

You are right about the website I must admit I have seen better.

Like you say I don't think the air conditioning will be as heavy as that so lets just believe that the extra is the Coachman quality.

By the way talking of weights I am having a Powrtouch 4wd motor mover fitted and it appears that this weighs in at about 70 kgs so I have contacted Coachman and they have said that they can uprate the MTPLM to 1900 kgs for 30. I have contacted my dealer to ask them to put an amendment through so that this can be done at the time of production.

Cheers
Richard

70kgs is a lot of additional weight, but I guess when taken in the context of the weight of these vans is not that much. Let me know how you get on with the motor mover as its something I am contemplating having fitted. The one I looked at was about 2k but I cant remember the make of it. Currently we park the van next to our house as there's plenty of room and the grounds level, however we're looking at moving next year so I cant guarantee to have such good access so a motor mover may be necessary.

Cheers

A.

#14 RichardC

RichardC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

70kgs is a lot of additional weight, but I guess when taken in the context of the weight of these vans is not that much. Let me know how you get on with the motor mover as its something I am contemplating having fitted. The one I looked at was about 2k but I cant remember the make of it. Currently we park the van next to our house as there's plenty of room and the grounds level, however we're looking at moving next year so I cant guarantee to have such good access so a motor mover may be necessary.

Cheers

A.

Hi Mannors

If you are contemplating a motor mover in the future I would suggest you consider having your MTPLM increased prior to delivery - I haven't heard back from my dealer yet (the sales director was off when I phoned) but from what Coachman have said it appears to be relatively straightforward. I think that for 30 it would be worthwhile (even if you did not get the mover there is no harm in having the van plated for the extra - providing your tow car is suitable).

Cheers

Richard

#15 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hi everyone,

we've been told we can collect our new Coachman Laser 640 on the 1st of March. Its a little later than we were initially told but no problem to us, has anyone else had their delivery dates put back at all?

We are very excited as we purchased it back at the NEC Caravan show in October which now seems like AGES ago. Still, the wait is nearly over.

Our dealer is keeping the van for a week before we collect it to test everything as its about 200 miles each way from our house, too far to keep returning to with problems (hoping there wont be any).

Anyway I hope that anyone else expecting to take delivery can do so soon, and everyone who has already collected their new caravans are as pleased with their purchases as they'd hoped. For sure we are pleased to have chosen Coachman (again) and not the 'other' manufacturer vans we were contemplating, although I'm sure they are smashing caravans too!!!

All the best

A.

#16 RichardC

RichardC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

Hi Mannors

We also pick up our new Laser on 1st March. Like you we were originally told at the show that it would "probably" be mid February so it hasn't really been put back as this wasn't a firm date.

The dealer we have bought ours from included two nights at a caravan park nearby so that we can test everything properly (I know that they do a handover but its only when you actually live in the thing that you know whether or not there is anything else you need to know). So as well as picking up our van this will be the first outing of the year for us.

Those friendly people at Powrwheel have also come up trumps once again. Parts for changing to the all wheel drive mover have been delivered and the fitter is coming tomorrow to remove the "single" mover from the Bailey. We have also arranged a date in March (prior to Easter) for the all wheel drive mover (including the powractuator) to be fitted. Hats off once again to Powrwheel for their excellent service.

Let us know how you get on and I hope you enjoy your new Coachman.

Cheers

Richard

#17 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hi Mannors

We also pick up our new Laser on 1st March. Like you we were originally told at the show that it would "probably" be mid February so it hasn't really been put back as this wasn't a firm date.

The dealer we have bought ours from included two nights at a caravan park nearby so that we can test everything properly (I know that they do a handover but its only when you actually live in the thing that you know whether or not there is anything else you need to know). So as well as picking up our van this will be the first outing of the year for us.

Those friendly people at Powrwheel have also come up trumps once again. Parts for changing to the all wheel drive mover have been delivered and the fitter is coming tomorrow to remove the "single" mover from the Bailey. We have also arranged a date in March (prior to Easter) for the all wheel drive mover (including the powractuator) to be fitted. Hats off once again to Powrwheel for their excellent service.

Let us know how you get on and I hope you enjoy your new Coachman.

Cheers
Richard

Cheers Richard, you too.

What model are you getting, and which dealer is supplying it?

#18 RichardC

RichardC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hi Mannors

We are getting the 645/4 from Campbells Caravans nr Preston. Where are you getting yours from?

Cheers

Richard

#19 mannors007

mannors007

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:49 PM

Hi Mannors

We are getting the 645/4 from Campbells Caravans nr Preston. Where are you getting yours from?

Cheers
Richard

Campbells nr Preston too, well thats a coincidence!!!! They seem like a top dealer so far.....

#20 RichardC

RichardC

Three Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hi Mannors

We are getting ours at 2.30 pm. What time are you picking yours up? Did they not offer you a free stay at a nearby Caravan site? If not you should maybe contact them and ask - even if its just one night it would be beneficial for you I'm sure.

Yes, been very impressed with them so far......

Cheers

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users