• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thelonegroover

thelonegroover

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Running, Walking, Crawling, Drinking not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

I知 not sure which member of the Swift group this should go to, but I hope someone with technical knowledge can help.

According to the 2008 Challenger specs, the 490 has an awning A/A dimension of 987cm, as does the 530 and 540. Are these actually the same size caravans and therefore the same AA dimension and have they been verified. The Swift customer service rep I spoke to initially stated these figures were estimates, but later said they were exact.

The reason I ask is, I was advised by customer service to check with the awning manufacturer, I checked with Isabella, who have measured the 530 as 987cm but the 540 as 978cm. Isabella could not give me their measurement for the 490.

Would it be possible for someone to actually measure the A/A dimension of a Challenger 490, Award Nightstar, GTS 517 or Eccles Sapphire to put my mind at rest, that the Isabella 975 will fit our new caravan. If my local dealer had one of these I'd do it myself.

Lloyd

#2 SwiftGroup

SwiftGroup

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Caravans, Motorhomes and Holiday Homes

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:05 AM

I知 not sure which member of the Swift group this should go to, but I hope someone with technical knowledge can help.

According to the 2008 Challenger specs, the 490 has an awning A/A dimension of 987cm, as does the 530 and 540. Are these actually the same size caravans and therefore the same AA dimension and have they been verified. The Swift customer service rep I spoke to initially stated these figures were estimates, but later said they were exact.

The reason I ask is, I was advised by customer service to check with the awning manufacturer, I checked with Isabella, who have measured the 530 as 987cm but the 540 as 978cm. Isabella could not give me their measurement for the 490.

Would it be possible for someone to actually measure the A/A dimension of a Challenger 490, Award Nightstar, GTS 517 or Eccles Sapphire to put my mind at rest, that the Isabella 975 will fit our new caravan. If my local dealer had one of these I'd do it myself.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

The correct measurement for the 2008 Challenger 490, 530, and 540 is 987cm. The reason why our rep said they were not verified is because Isabella attend the Lawns Show and do their own measuring. The Lawns was held this week and we will get confirmation from the supplier on Monday.

Regards
Kath

#3 thelonegroover

thelonegroover

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

Hi Lloyd

The correct measurement for the 2008 Challenger 490, 530, and 540 is 987cm. The reason why our rep said they were not verified is because Isabella attend the Lawns Show and do their own measuring. The Lawns was held this week and we will get confirmation from the supplier on Monday.

Regards
Kath

Hi Kath,

I have had a reply from Isabella, after I asked them to check, they have quoted 982cm (5cm less than 987) for the Challenger 490 and recomend a 975 awning. This sort of puts my mind at rest.

Does this mean the published sizes are going to be changed.

Regards
Lloyd

#4 egerton

egerton

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

I have an Apache 960 awning which is designed to fit rails of 951-970cm. It fit my 2003 Abbey Acclaim (awning dimension 963) and it fit my 2006 Abbey Gts517 ( quoted dimension 968cm) easily. We bought a 2007 Sterling Eccles Jewel (quoted dimension 971cm) and I thought the awning might just be a little tight but it was nowhere near big enough. Looked at least 15 cm too short.
Did a quick measure and I think the rail measurement should be approx 981, not the 971 figure quoted in the brochures for my and similar Swift Group models. Maybe that Swift measured wrongly.
Either way, it just proves that you may need to do an actual measure rather than rely on any caravan manufacturers brochure figures.

#5 thelonegroover

thelonegroover

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:56 AM

I have an Apache 960 awning which is designed to fit rails of 951-970cm. It fit my 2003 Abbey Acclaim (awning dimension 963) and it fit my 2006 Abbey Gts517 ( quoted dimension 968cm) easily. We bought a 2007 Sterling Eccles Jewel (quoted dimension 971cm) and I thought the awning might just be a little tight but it was nowhere near big enough. Looked at least 15 cm too short.
Did a quick measure and I think the rail measurement should be approx 981, not the 971 figure quoted in the brochures for my and similar Swift Group models. Maybe that Swift measured wrongly.
Either way, it just proves that you may need to do an actual measure rather than rely on any caravan manufacturers brochure figures.

Thanks John,

I'm afraid things like this tend to annoy me. If a manufacturer is going to the trouble of publishing figures, they should make sure they are correct. If a simple measurement like this is wrong, for all we know all the published figures are also wrong. That includes important weights and bed dimensions.

I know Isabella measure all new models and because we ordered an Isabella, I asked them, but what about Dorema, Apache and Bradcot.

#6 SwiftGroup

SwiftGroup

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Caravans, Motorhomes and Holiday Homes

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

Thanks John,

I'm afraid things like this tend to annoy me. If a manufacturer is going to the trouble of publishing figures, they should make sure they are correct. If a simple measurement like this is wrong, for all we know all the published figures are also wrong. That includes important weights and bed dimensions.

I know Isabella measure all new models and because we ordered an Isabella, I asked them, but what about Dorema, Apache and Bradcot.

The awning measurements may vary due to loaded weight, size of tyres and the pitch levels. Our published sizes are for guidance only and this is stated in our handbook. We always recommend that specific awning sizes should be agreed with the awning supplier prior to purchase. If customers contact our customer careline, we always give this advice.

Other dimensions in our handbooks are verified and checked by our technical department and the NCC and are correct.

Regards
Kath

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users