Photo

Oh No Not Another Towing Weight Question... :)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DMC12

DMC12

Two Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

Hi,

I seam to recall reading in a post somewhere that your max towing weight can also include the nose weight as well.

e.g. My Multipla has a max towing limit of 1300kg and a noseweight of 70kg. The post seamed to imply that I could legally tow a van loaded up to 1370kg.

Can anyone confirm if this is definately the case? An extra 70kg opens up a lot more choices when choosing a caravan.

Many thanks.

Steve.

#2 colger23

colger23

Five Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

Steve, sorry to disappoint you but I dont think this is correct, the max towing weight is what it says and does not include the noseweight.
Gerry

#3 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

Yes, it's true.

The towing weight is calculated, usually, as Gross Train Weight less car's Maximum Authorised Weight. Since the MAW has to include the noseweight it can be added to the Max Towing Weight for comparison against the caravan's MTPLM.

#4 Frank.A

Frank.A

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

In some cases the towing weight derived from Train weight and Gross vehicle weight differs from the manufacturers published towing limit by the max noseweight value.

This is a somewhat grey area but I would always take the VIN plate value.

Another similar point is the effect of noseweight on tyre loading.The fact that around 75kgs is supported by the hitch gives extra safety margin on tyres.

My local mobile tyre fitter reckons that trailer manufacturers consider that 10% of the MTPLM is supported at the hitch when selecting tyre ratings.I did point out to him that this was somewhat excessive when considering most saloons and estates and also caravan drawbar limits.

Best,
Frank

#5 Fleetwood neil

Fleetwood neil

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

What do you use if the vehicle has no quoted nose weight or towing limit?

How could you work it out?

Kerb weight 2050 Kg
Front axle 1230 Kg
Rear axle 820 Kg

This is all you get to go on!

#6 BrianI

BrianI

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,873 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:07 AM

Kerb weight 2050 Kg
Front axle 1230 Kg
Rear axle 820 Kg

I suspect that your "kerb weight" figure quoted is actually the gross vehicle weight as it is the sum of the axle figures, which presumably are max figures. There is usually another higher figure on the plate which is the gross train weight and the difference to this and the gross vehicle weight is usually the towing weight. You don't say what the vehicle is but if its a current model, you can usually get all the information from the manufacturers website or from
http://www.cuddles.a...kerbweights.htm

Brian

#7 RogerL

RogerL

• No longer a member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

Kerb weight 2050 Kg
Front axle 1230 Kg
Rear axle 820 Kg

Since the two axle weights are maximums, and add up to the higher figure, that must be Maximum Authorised Weight, not kerb weight.

If those are the ONLY weights quoted on the VIN plate/sticker then the vehicle doesn't appear to be homologated for towing, as no Gross Train Weight is shown!

There are several vehicles which can't tow anything. Ford Ka and Vauxhall Astra ECO4 are examples. Some BMW and M-B models with factory sports suspension aren't homolgated for towing, either.

#8 Fleetwood neil

Fleetwood neil

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:23 PM

The vehicle in question is a 4x4 Mitsubishi Delica 2.8 Turbo Diesel, The engine and running gear are based on the Shogun or Pajero, but itís not to a UK or I think EU specification but is right hand drive, and of course the vin plate has a lot of Japanese on it. The Japanese do not go in much for towing Iím lead to believe hence the lack of any towing information.

I believe that the shogun can tow up to 3 tons, but Iím not going anywhere near that, just the 1.240 ton Fleetwood caravan. Which it pulls like itís not connected also as you expect the Delica weighting 2.05 tons does not get blown about much by passing trucks.

Does make a most excellent tow vehicle and being an import and 12years old there is no a spec of rust yet.

#9 Frank.A

Frank.A

Four Star

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

Why don't you contact the Delica owners club.

http://www.mdocuk.co.uk/

Best,
Frank

#10 Fleetwood neil

Fleetwood neil

One Star

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

I have joined the MDOCUK and discussed the same question but I felt that I would see if there were any issues that maybe missed, us owners can sometimes be a bit blinkered and not see fault in what we are doing.

There maybe no legal issue with lowing but itís hard to find what might be considered to be a safe limit. The bar manufactures except one give a limit of over 3000kg for the tow bars. But you wonít find a nose limit set by anyone. Only one bar manufacture limits his bar to 1500 kg as chassis is not the same as the shogun so he feels that derating the bar gives a margin of error.

As for the weight of the vehicle the documents seem to contradict themselves the owners manual give a weight difference of kerb to max of about 450kg but also states donít put more that 750kg on the seats.

All part of the fun for having a tow car that not middle of the road. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users