• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Interests:Bikes
  • Towcar:Ssangyong Korando Sports EX Auto
  • Caravan:2014 Adria Sportline DK

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:54 pm

[quote name="ancell" post="1495975" timestamp="1505556851"]

Here it is for £45 on ebay(ws6933) so for an extra £10 on the SF500 you get internal battery included-or-power from sat box.
BUT you still need to programme it for the Sky/freesat 28.2 satellite(s).
WS6933 satellite finder
blast link did not work-sorry[/quote

Mine was ready programmed.

#22 Black Grouse

Black Grouse

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,447 posts
  • Interests:Cold War Aircraft
  • Towcar:2016 VW Touareg SE 262
  • Caravan:2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:36 pm

I really want a tripod with two adjustable legs -  ensuring the pole is dead vertical guarantees the correct dish elevation and LNB skew - a simple compass allows the magnetic bearing to be set easily - the receiver then just confirms I've got 100/100 for strength/quality on both channels.

#23 Vin Blanc

Vin Blanc

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Satellite TV in caravans

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:07 am

An Inclinometer temporarily mounted on the dish will provide the accurate elevation setting irrespective of the tripod.

The Azimuth must be set accurately with no more than 1˚ of error.  A cheap “boy scout” compass cannot do that!

Before I gave up active caravanning I simply obtained the relative co-ordinates for the desired satellite from Dishpointer.com.

I then set the dish elevation using an Inclinometer temporarily mounted on the dish, followed by the azimuth setting using a marine compass mounted on the dish with the aid of a homemade inverted “T” section bracket.

A winner every time and all achieved in minutes without even having to switch on the TV.

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc, 17 September 2017 - 09:10 am.

• ancell likes this

#24 WispMan

WispMan

Milky Way

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,424 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and astronomy.
  • Towcar:Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDI Design Diesel 2008
  • Caravan:Bailey Pageant S7 Burgundy

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:41 am

I took VB's advice and use a cheap inclinometer to get verticality. Quick and simple.

I then took his idea of a powered device with a screamometer to get the Sky satellite before swiching on the TV. So quick and in 8 years I have only ever found the Sky satellite and never found any other.
I do agree that at the beginning it was a bit of a nightmare but advice from CT members along with the satelliteforcaravans website helped so much. Unfortunately that site is no longer live.
  • ancell likes this

#25 Vin Blanc

Vin Blanc

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, Satellite TV in caravans

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:53 am

So quick and in 8 years I have only ever found the Sky satellite and never found any other.

Yes WispMan, by pointing the dish roughly SouthWest then panning towards South, the Astra 2 cluster (Sky and Freesat) would be the first satellites that you encounter.  Whether you then receive Sky or Freesat depends on which receiver you have installed.

Out of interest, if you are using a Freesat receiver and select “other” in the menu, it is possible to continue panning South until you find the Astra 1 cluster at 19.2˚, these are mostly German channels but very handy if you’re a footie fan!

Vin Blanc

• fred likes this

#26 matelodave

matelodave

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, walking, caravanning, reading & drinking beer

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:04 pm

here's a cheap inclinometer 

https://www.amazon.c...ds=inclinometer

or if you want something a bit more exotic you can get a digital spirit level/inclinomer for a few quid more

#27 WispMan

WispMan

Milky Way

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,424 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning and astronomy.
  • Towcar:Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 CDI Design Diesel 2008
  • Caravan:Bailey Pageant S7 Burgundy

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:35 pm

That's what I use.

#28 Black Grouse

Black Grouse

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,447 posts
  • Interests:Cold War Aircraft
  • Towcar:2016 VW Touareg SE 262
  • Caravan:2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:21 pm

An Inclinometer temporarily mounted on the dish will provide the accurate elevation setting irrespective of the tripod.

The Azimuth must be set accurately with no more than 1˚ of error.  A cheap “boy scout” compass cannot do that!

Before I gave up active caravanning I simply obtained the relative co-ordinates for the desired satellite from Dishpointer.com.

I then set the dish elevation using an Inclinometer temporarily mounted on the dish, followed by the azimuth setting using a marine compass mounted on the dish with the aid of a homemade inverted “T” section bracket.

A winner every time and all achieved in minutes without even having to switch on the TV.

Vin Blanc

I also use Dishpointer - elevation can be set on my dish but depends on a vertical tripod post - magnetic bearing CAN be set reasonably accurately by a competent boy Scout with a Silva-type compass - I then just tweak the signal left/right and up/down to see if it improves and adjust if less than 100/100.

Nothing complex needed - but the TV/receiver need to be switched on - necessary anyway to tune the receiver to the local BBC/ITV channels and not faff around in the high numbers.

Edited by Black Grouse, 17 September 2017 - 06:22 pm.

#29 ancell

ancell

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • Interests:caravanning travel

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:36 pm

Got the compass and inclinometer I use the free satfinder lite app to locate the satellite-saves embarrassment after setting up the dish lnb and wiring only to find a tree-caravan-wall-barn in the way!
Then use the SF500 setting the dish east of the 28.2 group then sweeping south always get a signal screech from the SF500 then fine tuning the tilt of the dish to maximise quality then-if needed rotate the lnb to gain quality.
So far I have always got satfinder lite to work!

#30 Woodentop

Woodentop

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Towcar:VW Passat Executive TDi 140 CR Estate
  • Caravan:Bailey Pegasus 462

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:22 pm

There was a thread a couple of years ago on these .

I use a Sat link 9608 for a few years now . As said I can set up the dish before setting up the receiver and TV and know it is working before going In the caravan using the TV in the meter .

Dave

That should be SatLink WS6908 and they are superb. The only thing is that they don't know about Astra 28E so you need to select Eutelsat and it works perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users