Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • Interests:Camping
    Travelling
    Gardening
    Fine Wine
  • Towcar:Hyundai Tucson 2ltr. Se blue nav.
  • Caravan:Lunar clubman si 2016

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:29 am

Have used ccc for travel ins.for years.
For our forthcoming winter in Spain they have just turned my partner down as she is now eighty,even though she hasn't needed a doctor for ten years!
Max cover for her is thirty days.
Who can you advise will give her travel insurance cover?
Thanks in advance,Dave.

#2 Flying Grandad

Flying Grandad

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:Paragliding, Diving
  • Towcar:Nissan Navara NP300
  • Caravan:Swift Elegance 645

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:46 am

We don't yet have the age restriction but in our first year of touring abroad, we struggled to find 365 days cover. Most backpacker type policies have an age limit of 49 years. On trying to renew the insurance for a second year we found that part of the Ts&Cs required us to have been actually in the UK for the preceding six months. The alternative was private medical insurance, which came up at about £4000. For someone of your wife's age, I would not want to hear what the quote would be.

I read on an ex-pat forum that if you are over 65, then you are entitled (while Britain is still part of EU) to national health care in any other member state. Emergency treatment should be covered under EHIC in any case.

My wife and I are, so far, in good enough health that we have the confidence to travel at our own risk. If something comes up that is non-emergency, but requires being in UK, then one of us has a four day drive.

#3 David Park

David Park

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:1940 Wartime events.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:08 am

We have annual worldwide travel insurence with our Nationwide bank account and they cover us over 80.

Edited by David Park, 14 September 2017 - 11:09 am.

#4 moorgate

moorgate

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Travel

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:12 am

The Caravan & Motorhome Club doesn't appear to have an age limit for insurance, though it does have a time limit on Overseas stays. Everyone says how dear their Red Pennant insurance is, but for 80 year olds it's actually cheaper than anything else - and their medical screening questions are not at all strict. I don't use their caravan sites in the UK at all these days, but I do keep up my membership of that Club because of that insurance, and because of their discounted fares on (some) Brittany Ferries sailings.
  • Pheasant likes this

#5 Pheasant

Pheasant

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
    Travelling
    Gardening
    Fine Wine

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:20 am

We don't yet have the age restriction but in our first year of touring abroad, we struggled to find 365 days cover. Most backpacker type policies have an age limit of 49 years. On trying to renew the insurance for a second year we found that part of the Ts&Cs required us to have been actually in the UK for the preceding six months. The alternative was private medical insurance, which came up at about £4000. For someone of your wife's age, I would not want to hear what the quote would be.

I read on an ex-pat forum that if you are over 65, then you are entitled (while Britain is still part of EU) to national health care in any other member state. Emergency treatment should be covered under EHIC in any case.

My wife and I are, so far, in good enough health that we have the confidence to travel at our own risk. If something comes up that is non-emergency, but requires being in UK, then one of us has a four day drive.

Hi grandad,thanks for the info,if I read right that you rely on EHIC abroad,I feel you are taking a hell of a risk,if you,or both, become incapacitated due to an accident or heart attack,stroke to name a few possibles,or death!.EHIC will not bring you back to UK,or I believe pay for very long term care abroad,I may be wrong,but that's my understanding

#6 Pheasant

Pheasant

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
    Travelling
    Gardening
    Fine Wine

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:48 am

We have annual worldwide travel insurence with our Nationwide bank account and they cover us over 80.

I believe that's only available for flex plus cardholders,I believe you pay a monthly premium of about £120..00 per annum.
Will look at them again as I bank at nationwide,thanks.
  • David Park likes this

#7 ian16527

ian16527

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Towcar:Mondeo 2. 0
  • Caravan:Looking for a new one

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:50 am

Hi grandad,thanks for the info,if I read right that you rely on EHIC abroad,I feel you are taking a hell of a risk,if you,or both, become incapacitated due to an accident or heart attack,stroke to name a few possibles,or death!.EHIC will not bring you back to UK,or I believe pay for very long term care abroad,I may be wrong,but that's my understanding

The health care issue used to be discussed in the French Expat forums when the French changed the rules by not allowing ex pats to enter the French health care system for the first 5 years of residence. (This may not be correct now but was a few years ago).

When you were 65 or you partner then you could join the French system as then the UK Gov pay them so much per annum for your health care. I am sure you had to live there though.

#8 Pheasant

Pheasant

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
    Travelling
    Gardening
    Fine Wine

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:55 am

The Caravan & Motorhome Club doesn't appear to have an age limit for insurance, though it does have a time limit on Overseas stays. Everyone says how dear their Red Pennant insurance is, but for 80 year olds it's actually cheaper than anything else - and their medical screening questions are not at all strict. I don't use their caravan sites in the UK at all these days, but I do keep up my membership of that Club because of that insurance, and because of their discounted fares on (some) Brittany Ferries sailings.

Thanks,just got a quote,it seems reasonable if you combine car cover as well,inc.ferry,we already have Europe car cover,annually,there're cover is only single trip.travel ins.on its own,strangely shoots up to £324, no medical conditions.
We have already booked ferry,going into apartmentol this year ,no van,with Brittany ferries direct who do amazing long stay winter breaks in hotels,and inc.return ferry!

#9 ivan leslie

ivan leslie

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:40 pm

I believe that's only available for flex plus cardholders,I believe you pay a monthly premium of about £120..00 per annum.
Will look at them again as I bank at nationwide,thanks.

I believe there are time restrictions, 30 days I seem to remember, and I don't think it covers touring with a caravan. I currently use the C&Cc for our long term with the caravan, and Nationwide if I fly off to more exotic climes for 14/21 days.

#10 Pheasant

Pheasant

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
    Travelling
    Gardening
    Fine Wine

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:46 pm

I believe there are time restrictions, 30 days I seem to remember, and I don't think it covers touring with a caravan. I currently use the C&Cc for our long term with the caravan, and Nationwide if I fly off to more exotic climes for 14/21 days.

I have used ccc for years but their max duration is thirty days if you are over 80 yrs of age.

#11 David Park

David Park

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:53 pm

I'm Nationwide flexi+ and its 31 days for Travel Insurence outside of UK but it says extended cover can be purchased.

• Coastine likes this

#12 Jaydug

Jaydug

Jay

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, DIY
  • Towcar:Citroen C5-X7
  • Caravan:Avondale Rialto

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:33 pm

I'll be having my 88th birthday when I'm next in Spain.   I insure with Red Pennant and the maximum they will allow me is 122 days.   Red Pennant covers almost every contingency for car, caravan and health aspects and cost last year for the full period was £298.   They will want to do a health screening check before they take you on, and from previous years I can say that in the event of a claim will want your permission to obtain a copy of your medical records before considering the claim.

• stevew1 likes this

#13 ChrisUK

ChrisUK

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:09 pm

I'll be having my 88th birthday when I'm next in Spain.   I insure with Red Pennant and the maximum they will allow me is 122 days.   Red Pennant covers almost every contingency for car, caravan and health aspects and cost last year for the full period was £298.   They will want to do a health screening check before they take you on, and from previous years I can say that in the event of a claim will want your permission to obtain a copy of your medical records before considering the claim.

I suppose that I could look this up, but does RP cover medical items for holidays by air?

#14 Jaydug

Jaydug

Jay

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • Interests:Caravanning, DIY
  • Towcar:Citroen C5-X7
  • Caravan:Avondale Rialto

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:12 pm

does RP cover medical items for holidays by air?

I'm afraid not - although I've used it for driving holidays when I've gone without the caravan.

#15 KNARF

KNARF

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:17 pm

Nationwide Flex Plus breakdown cover covers caravans and Travel  in is for anywhere in the world for up to 31 days but can be extended up to 180 days for an extra payment.

knarf

• David Park likes this

#16 blondchaser

blondchaser

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Interests:blondes
  • Towcar:Xsara Picasso 2010
  • Caravan:Elddis Cyclone XL

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:45 pm

Have you tried the insurance companies who advertise for the elderly on telly??

Also, ask Adrien Flux Insurance for a quote.

#17 flashgordon

flashgordon

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:17 pm

Try http://www.over80.co...l-insurance.htm

#18 David Park

David Park

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:25 pm

Prices seem too good to be true.

#19 ivan leslie

ivan leslie

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:51 pm

Nationwide Flex Plus breakdown cover covers caravans and Travel  in is for anywhere in the world for up to 31 days but can be extended up to 180 days for an extra payment.
knarf

As I find that surprising can you confirm please - nationwide will cover motoring ( including the caravan ) plus health insurance for 180 days, although with extra premiums. When I have checked they would not - would be great for me if they would.

#20 KNARF

KNARF

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:15 pm

From Flex plus Travel policy terms and conditions:

http://www.nationwid...e-with-flexplus

"Your policy only covers you for journeys of up to 31 days in length. For an additional premium you can extend this limit up to 180 days. This must be done before your departure from the UK."

From Britannia rescue Flex plus breakdown cover:

"• Caravans and trailers - your cover includes
any caravan or trailer that is attached to your
vehicle (this does not include help at the
home address that we have on our records"

knarf

Edited by KNARF, 14 September 2017 - 06:26 pm.

• David Park likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users