• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 johnyp

johnyp

Over 10 posts

• Approved Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:caravanning,watching football,real ale drinking......
  • Towcar:hyundai santa fe 2011 automatic (7 seats)
  • Caravan:lunar deta sb 2008

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:35 pm

i peeps.. .daft question i am thinking of buying some caravan levelers (the drive up tyre) i have got a twin axle van how do i get the levelers under both wheels,the ones i have looked at seem a bit long i can see how you would drive up the one wheel so would the other one be left dangling ????

#2 shipbroker

shipbroker

Senior Member with over 5000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,790 posts
  • Interests:Caravans,Art,
    Golf,Fly Fishing
    Maritime History
  • Towcar:2010 Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDi
  • Caravan:Elddis Affinity 530

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:00 pm

That's why lots of twin wheelers use scaffold plank offcuts and not drive up 'ramps'. ..

geoff

• johnyp likes this

#3 Lozzyf

Lozzyf

Complete idiot

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  • Interests:Italian . Art. Social.
  • Towcar:Xtrail T31
  • Caravan:sprite Freestyle SE SB

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:09 pm

Lock'n level do a twin wheeler solution

https://locknlevel.c...y.php?ptyp=TWIN
  • johnyp likes this

#4 happynomad

happynomad

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Towcar:Freelander 2 HSE Lux
  • Caravan:S1 Valencia

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:11 pm

That's why lots of twin wheelers use scaffold plank offcuts and not drive up 'ramps'. ..

geoff

I prefer plank offcut for my single axle van too. Always wondered why plastic levelling ramps are invariably sold in pairs :D
  • Paul_B and johnyp like this

#5 exkiaman

exkiaman

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life to the full!

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:15 pm

Lock'n level do a twin wheeler solution

https://locknlevel.c...y.php?ptyp=TWIN

Friends of ours bought one of those (after trying various other solutions) and swear by it; very easy to use.

I prefer plank offcut for my single axle van too. Always wondered why plastic levelling ramps are invariably sold in pairs :D

Simples.. ... ... .for motorhomers (you know, those people from the dark side!)  :D

• Lozzyf and johnyp like this

#6 Lozzyf

Lozzyf

Complete idiot

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:26 pm

Friends of ours bought one of those (after trying various other solutions) and swear by it; very easy to use.
 :D

We have the single version,several people on site have asked about it.

#7 svimes

svimes

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Towcar:BMW 520D
  • Caravan:Sprite Major

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:32 pm

As well as motorhome use, you can increase the height by putting one ramp on top of another

Edited by svimes, 11 September 2017 - 07:32 pm.

#8 gmc15

gmc15

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:39 pm

Link to a video showing how to use two ramps on a twin wheeler.

#9 happynomad

happynomad

Over 500 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Towcar:Freelander 2 HSE Lux
  • Caravan:S1 Valencia

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:06 pm

As well as motorhome use, you can increase the height by putting one ramp on top of another

I'll stick with my offcuts I think.. . they are very versatile, less prone to settling into softer ground and the van never tries to roll down. Oh, they make Al-Ko wheel lock alignment at the desired height very simple too.

#10 Llew

Llew

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:Family, the dog, Rugby and caravanning
  • Towcar:2008 Honda CRV 2:2cdti EX
  • Caravan:2017 Sprite Dealer Special

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:10 pm

i peeps.. .daft question i am thinking of buying some caravan levelers (the drive up tyre) i have got a twin axle van how do i get the levelers under both wheels,the ones i have looked at seem a bit long i can see how you would drive up the one wheel so would the other one be left dangling ????

We have a twin axle, and was thinking of the lock n level, until I saw the price . What I did, was to cut from the thinnest edge of the one plastic ramp so that it fitted between the two wheels, and then placed the remaining ramp in front of the front wheel. I then use the mover to drive the van up the ramps, works perfectly for me, and a lot cheaper than the lock n level.
  • Lozzyf likes this

#11 svimes

svimes

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Towcar:BMW 520D
  • Caravan:Sprite Major

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:21 pm

I'll stick with my offcuts I think.. . they are very versatile, less prone to settling into softer ground and the van never tries to roll down. Oh, they make Al-Ko wheel lock alignment at the desired height very simple too.

Got the offcuts as well but they are quite thick. The ramp mainly gets used for small changes in height or if the offcuts are all in use under the steadies. I do find it easier to get van onto the ramps as the wood sometimes gets pushed out of the way and they've never sunk.

As I say, maybe I need more slender offcuts. The ramps are light though.

Edit: forgot to say they are also useful on tight pitches, you get a good vertical change without moving a long way forward or back

Edited by svimes, 11 September 2017 - 08:26 pm.

#12 Disco4

Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:08 pm

We have a twin axle, and was thinking of the lock n level, until I saw the price . What I did, was to cut from the thinnest edge of the one plastic ramp so that it fitted between the two wheels, and then placed the remaining ramp in front of the front wheel. I then use the mover to drive the van up the ramps, works perfectly for me, and a lot cheaper than the lock n level.

Most people with a lock n level don't primarily have it for levelling, but instead for applying Alko locks and as a replacement for a jack if an AWD mover has necessitated removing the jacking points.

#13 Llew

Llew

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:12 am

Most people with a lock n level don't primarily have it for levelling, but instead for applying Alko locks and as a replacement for a jack if an AWD mover has necessitated removing the jacking points.

Don't use those overpriced alko locks either, so not a problem for me. However, my mate uses the alko locks, and he tried my ramps and he managed to line his up.

#14 Lozzyf

Lozzyf

Complete idiot

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:25 am

I have a locknlevel how do you use it for a jack?!!!

#15 Griff

Griff

Living the caravaning dream, well nightmare really

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • Interests:Flying RC aircaft, coarse & fly fishing.
  • Towcar:Discovery 4 towing machine
  • Caravan:Dying Buccaneer Schooner

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:39 am

I made a number of 1/2" thick x 12" wide plywood packers which I varnished to waterproof them.

I bought a large sheet of the ply from B&Q and they cut it to my required individual sizes, our nearest has a free cutting service.

About six in all, each one 2" shorter than the next and I start with the longest and if I need more lift, place the next shortest one on top of that and so on.

The shortest one which would go on top of the stack just covers the distance across the two wheels of a twin axle.

The 2" increment in length gives a natural lead effect for the wheels to ride up as in our case we have a Reich mover which is low to the ground and needs a shallow angle to climb in order not to bottom out.

Also made a 3/4 thick version for a particular known site/pitch which we book and revisit regularly.

Works for us as we do not use the likes of rally fields, only hard standings or levelish grass.

Never had to pack more then 3" yet on the types of site we use.

Attached File  Troutbeck012.jpg   161.34KB   0 downloads

#16 Disco4

Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:05 am

Assuming we're still talking twin axle, the same way you would to apply the lock - inflate chamber under one wheel until the other wheel lifts off the ground, take off/replace the wheel with the puncture, deflate the chambers.

• Lozzyf likes this

#17 Disco4

Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:10 am

Don't use those overpriced alko locks either, so not a problem for me. However, my mate uses the alko locks, and he tried my ramps and he managed to line his up.

Alko locks are standard on my van - insurance condition for me to use both (yes, did enquire about using an alternative lock on second wheel and they said no - cost of cancelling policy mid-term + buying a different wheel lock to change insurer is higher than an LnL).

I'm truly interested to know how your mate managed to line his Alkos up on your ramps - either he was exceptionally lucky that the receivers landed in the right place, or he would have had to pull onto correct spot on the ramps, jack the wheels off the ramps, spin wheel then put it back down on the ramps - too risky for me.

• Lozzyf likes this

#18 Durbanite

Durbanite

Ian

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,557 posts
  • Towcar:Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Caravan:Buccaneer Cruiser 2016

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:53 am

Can't on a single axle.

• Lozzyf likes this

#19 Llew

Llew

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:19 pm

Alko locks are standard on my van - insurance condition for me to use both (yes, did enquire about using an alternative lock on second wheel and they said no - cost of cancelling policy mid-term + buying a different wheel lock to change insurer is higher than an LnL).

I'm truly interested to know how your mate managed to line his Alkos up on your ramps - either he was exceptionally lucky that the receivers landed in the right place, or he would have had to pull onto correct spot on the ramps, jack the wheels off the ramps, spin wheel then put it back down on the ramps - too risky for me.

Perhaps I should have made it clear, he only managed to line up the alko locks on the one wheel. If his insurance stipulated he needed them on both wheels then it wouldn't do it. I'm lucky, the only insurance conditions on my van is a wheel clamp and Hitchcock, and there is no stipulation on what type.

#20 Disco4

Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:34 pm

Can't on a single axle.

Absolutely correct.  As the thread is about twin axles, my comment on LnL were restricted to that - perhaps I should have been clearer to say "Most people with TAs who buy LnLs primarily do so.. .."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users