Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:12 am

Security is one thing but safety is another . . You have small children in the awning or around the caravan and potentially can pull a live wire.. it's not locked bollard end but once pulled the cable isn't live.. . How many kids have been electrocuted, none yet.

Are they locked in the Uni III ?

But the pins are recessed on the EHU lead and behind a spring-loaded flap - child would have to lift up the flap on the van, pull out the lead (considerable force which would set the alarm going on the fridge for lack of power), open the flap on the end of the lead (spring loaded), keep it open and stick their fingers about 3/4 inch down a hole.  Has there ever been a case of that happening (esp given pretty much every motorhome has always had that arrangement)?

No, the flap on the van isn't locked, I'm happy to say.  Neither is the external 240V output socket, which I guess is equally dangerous for kids.

#62 Steamdrivenandy

Steamdrivenandy

Random Word Generator aka SDA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,025 posts
  • Interests:Steam (GWR King 6024)
    Eribas
    Garden Design
  • Towcar:'17 Plate Skoda Yeti 1.2Tsi DSG
  • Caravan:2012MY Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:17 am

I can't speak for the U4 EHU socket but the four we've had on motorhomes etc were fitted with a clip that you had to squeeze before the plug would release.

I would think there's a lot more risk attached to EHU leads that are just detached from motorhomes/campervans and left lying on the ground whilst the van goes out for the day whilst the lead is still plugged in at the bollard. We've pitched next to folk who've done that on two occasions and reported it to the warden. Both were warned that they be thrown off the site if they did it again.

#63 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:"Happy Camping"

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:55 am

But the pins are recessed on the EHU lead and behind a spring-loaded flap - child would have to lift up the flap on the van, pull out the lead (considerable force which would set the alarm going on the fridge for lack of power), open the flap on the end of the lead (spring loaded), keep it open and stick their fingers about 3/4 inch down a hole.  Has there ever been a case of that happening (esp given pretty much every motorhome has always had that arrangement)?

No, the flap on the van isn't locked, I'm happy to say.  Neither is the external 240V output socket, which I guess is equally dangerous for kids.

Don't be silly . .. safety is always up most and kids can do anything. Doesn't take a lot to have a small lockable recessed box. Interesting to see that caravan club wardens don't allow joining two cables together due to kids safety http://www.caravanta...es/#entry295967

#64 Alan Stanley

Alan Stanley

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,135 posts
  • Interests:LIVE LIFE AND PROSPER. Vanning, Archery, Woodwork.
  • Towcar:Kia Sorento 2014 Kx3
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn Valencia 3

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:45 am

All electricity in vans is dangerous and safety is always a choice of cost and convenience over the impossible 'absolute safety.'  

The current system has been in use for decades.  I struggle to find any reference to a case of electrocution by the cable.  Child or other wise.  As opposed to the multiple cases of electrical fires causing death/injury, for example.  

Just as likely is a child or anyone pulling a bare cable from a badly assembled system.  Or kids playing with the supply post and poking a steel peg into the sockets.  Ditto the 13 amp sockets in the van.  Being inside the awning or not is irrelevant as it depends where the kid is.  The list of possibles is endless.  

You can even argue the following.  Lockable box on van.  Unknown person yanks cable causing it to detach from the plug and come to rest on the lock inside the box.  Owner having no electric goes to unlock box and 'Bang'.  

Akin to the discussion of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin comes to mind.

• Steamdrivenandy likes this

#65 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:23 am

There's dangers everywhere but a simple reassessed outer wall lockable box is safer, less obtruding, water tight and no flaps to flap about in the wind to warrant a securing bungy cord. If the Unicorn came with a small recessed lockable box that also housed the mover isolation switch, I wonder how many people on her would be praising it . . quite a few I would suspect ;)
  • svimes likes this

#66 Disco4

Disco4

Over 1000 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Towcar:Discovery 4
  • Caravan:Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:26 am

Don't be silly . .. safety is always up most and kids can do anything. Doesn't take a lot to have a small lockable recessed box. Interesting to see that caravan club wardens don't allow joining two cables together due to kids safety http://www.caravanta...es/#entry295967

Actually you're not allowed to join cables because the connectors aren't rated for external usage on the ground.  Wardens can make up their own interpretation if they like, but that's the bottom line. 

Again, on the Bailey design if you consider it unsafe, then pretty much every motorhome on the road is similarly unsafe.

Edited by Disco4, 15 September 2017 - 11:27 am.

• Steamdrivenandy likes this

#67 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:45 pm

Actually you're not allowed to join cables because the connectors aren't rated for external usage on the ground.  Wardens can make up their own interpretation if they like, but that's the bottom line. 

Again, on the Bailey design if you consider it unsafe, then pretty much every motorhome on the road is similarly unsafe.

Didn't say they were unsafe in their operation. You can still use an electric lawn mover without a power breaker ;)

I don't own a motorhome, so irrelavent to me but probably more relevant to Bailey due to using a part they also use in their motor homes and not having a battery box, so cheaper to supply.

So I wonder how many Unicorn owners would snub a recessed lockable box that also accepts a mover switch with all of its other advantages, or do we have to be conditioned into accepting lesser designs for the sake of a few quid. ;)

Edited by Silverback, 15 September 2017 - 12:48 pm.

#68 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:10 pm

That's sounds pretty reasonable to me but a warden can refuse to supply power at his or her own discretion if he feels safety is compromised. (Good job I'm not a warden, my margins would fall dramatically)

"If the site staff have any reason to be concerned about the safety of the outfits connection, they may be required to decline to offer a supply. This is in the interest of keeping the site as safe as possible for all its visitors"

Extension cables are banned on CMC sites but it doesn't state a reason, though it does show safety is foremost..

https://www.caravanc...p-to-the-mains/

Edited by Silverback, 15 September 2017 - 02:11 pm.

#69 Endeeo

Endeeo

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Walking, gardening & grandsons
  • Towcar:Mercedes E-Class Estate 220d SE
  • Caravan:Bailey Pegasus 4 Rimini

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:56 pm

Haven't we gone a bit off original subject here????

#70 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:04 pm

Haven't we gone a bit off original subject here????

I think the thread of this topic was the BOC putting in suggestions to Bailey or Bailey asking for their thoughts, so maybe the Bailey Owners Club members can suggest a better EHU socket mounting to the outer wall . .. ;)

#71 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:39 pm

For any Bailey Owner Club Members . ..

Just back from viewing the new Unicorns in the flesh.. . verdict . .. shock horror, we really like them !

Bad news quality . ..  large gaps in the shower corner trim with missing clear silicon :o thought Bailey would be onto this with their last disasters of leaking showers.   Rear ceiling roof joint adrift in a couple of caravans.  The exterior front full height moulding does split into two pieces but every other caravan the join had messy silicon in that joint, hopefully not to hide a bad fit. Ridiculous positions of the mover isolation switches preventing full use of storage areas where they're mounted, with difficulty getting to them from the exterior.

Good news . .. The bathrooms layouts are fine. Kitchen and worktop area is great. Front seats comfortable.  TV wall mounting bracket I think would work. General interior design and colours excellent. Plenty of power and USB points. Exterior looks a lot better then in the images and I quite like the rear including the full with handle, ideal for drying towels, wet suits and BA's. 

Instantly felt comfortable in this caravan, but do we compromise against poor quality and the nightmares that come with it, still got that T-Shirt in the drawer

On a side note, we're not interested in a two berth but thought the Seville was a cracking layout and cant understand the resistance against it.

Next to view on the list Coachman VIP . .. :rolleyes:

Edited by Silverback, 17 September 2017 - 01:42 pm.

#72 Trelfa

Trelfa

Over 50 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Towcar:Audi
  • Caravan:Unicorn 2

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:06 pm

I think the thread of this topic was the BOC putting in suggestions to Bailey or Bailey asking for their thoughts, so maybe the Bailey Owners Club members can suggest a better EHU socket mounting to the outer wall . .. ;)

There is nothing stopping you joining the Bailey Owners Club and having your say.

#73 Dougb

Dougb

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling & caravaning
  • Towcar:2014 Freelander 2 HSE Auto
  • Caravan:swift Challenger SE 580

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:14 pm

Did you manage to do this?

#74 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:08 pm

There is nothing stopping you joining the Bailey Owners Club and having your say.

Err no thanks . ..

I'll email them instead ;)

Did you manage to do this?

Well hopefully someone may suggest it to them with more influence than I given all the strong connections some report of the selected panel, Doug . ;)

Tell me Doug what do you think of the series 4 ??

Edited by Silverback, 17 September 2017 - 08:12 pm.

#75 Dougb

Dougb

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:42 am

Err no thanks . ..
I'll email them instead ;)

Well hopefully someone may suggest it to them with more influence than I given all the strong connections some report of the selected panel, Doug . ;)
Tell me Doug what do you think of the series 4 ??

Love the front area of the Pamplona, not to sure why they have put a wider chest of drawers, which effectively take 2" off the width of the front seats, where you would put your back when watching tv. Kitchen area good but the drawers are quite shallow as the gas locker is behind them. Large fridge fantastic. Bathroom area good, shower area small,just about big enough (and I am not a big guy). Bedroom area mixed feelings, no drawers, only cupboards,storage area under bed good, not sure about the the drop down bed end.

Externally, isolation switch is great mounted just above the wheel area on the outside of the van brilliant. Not sure how I will get used to no front box. My pet hate, as previously mentioned, is the external socket that should be deeper to allow the socket flap to clip back down whilst the plug is fitted .I have spoken to my local dealer who will change both the plug socket and the mains hook up point. Very close to ordering but not quite there.

Regards
Doug

#76 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:14 am

Love the front area of the Pamplona, not to sure why they have put a wider chest of drawers, which effectively take 2" off the width of the front seats, where you would put your back when watching tv. Kitchen area good but the drawers are quite shallow as the gas locker is behind them. Large fridge fantastic. Bathroom area good, shower area small,just about big enough (and I am not a big guy). Bedroom area mixed feelings, no drawers, only cupboards,storage area under bed good, not sure about the the drop down bed end.

Externally, isolation switch is great mounted just above the wheel area on the outside of the van brilliant. Not sure how I will get used to no front box. My pet hate, as previously mentioned, is the external socket that should be deeper to allow the socket flap to clip back down whilst the plug is fitted .I have spoken to my local dealer who will change both the plug socket and the mains hook up point. Very close to ordering but not quite there.

Regards
Doug

At least your favoured model has a external mover socket . . Can your dealer change the mains hook up socket ?

#77 Dougb

Dougb

Over 100 posts

• Approved Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:50 am

Yes both the mains hook up and external socket
Regards
Doug

#78 Silverback

Silverback

Over 1000 posts

• Caravan Talk Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:12 am

Yes both the mains hook up and external socket
Regards
Doug

Will they replace the mains hook up socket for a fully enclosed box ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users